Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 18015 times)

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
« on: December 21, 2009, 11:41:18 AM »

This film is astonishingly good.

But, as I said elsewhere, that all really depends on who you are and what type of films you like. If you do not like long, meticulous films or sprawling epics, stay away; if you do not like science fiction films, this one will not convert you; if you do not like your films to have a 'message', then, by all means, avoid Avatar.

"If someone's sitting on poo we want, that makes them our enemy. And we think we're justified taking it." - Jake Sully

For me, I have two complaints with the film: 1) it really didn't need the Celine Dion-esque 'song' "I See You" for the end of the flick - if Cameron thinks this will be as appealing to women as Titanic, he is mistaken; and 2) even at 2.5 hours, it wasn't long enough. There were pieces of character development clearly missing from the film, the bulk of which was between actual human actors. But I understand the need to sacrifice some of it so that the outstanding CGI, on which they spent most of the time and money, could make the screen.

The CGI is above-Pixar-level. But while Pixar's forte is making things we're familiar with look ultra real, Avatar brings to reality an unfamiliar world - and very convincingly, I might add. Especially in light of the fact that a lot of the film is not animated. The CGI is laid atop motion capture of actual actors, including all of their facial expressions and emotion. The effect makes it difficult to tell you are not watching actual living organisms. Sigourney Weaver's big blue Avatar looks so much like her, you'd swear it was just make up at times. But if you tend not to like computer animation in general, again I'm not sure this film will convince you otherwise.

The story is colossal, and unfortunately, pieces of it are missing in the film (noticeably if you pay too much attention like I do ;)) and some of it is poorly explained. But not to the extent that you can't enjoy the film anyway.

Spoiler (hover to show)

And while I tend to agree that 3-D is an unnecessary gimmick, I can't agree on Avatar. The 3-D is used to create depth and atmosphere in the movie rather than having things pop out at you. For instance, there are these giant, walking battle mechs that humans drive, but because the Pandoran atmosphere is toxic, they are surrounded by a clear plastic canopy. In the 3-D version, you can see that there's an actual distance between the person and the plastic canopy. And speaking of the Pandoran atmosphere, it's clear like Earth air, but when the two mix, it causes a weird fluttery/shimmery effect that literally hovers in space. Jake's Avatar ends up in a river at one point and the 3-D effect really looks like he's immersed in water. Not to mention subtle things like little bugs flitting around in the jungle scenes.

The movie is not for everyone, but if you like a few of Cameron's other projects, this may also appeal to you as well.

Alright, I'll shut up now.

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
Re: Avatar
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 11:46:48 AM »
Unobtanium!  Reminds me of the film Core.
  Is the story good?

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 01:37:49 PM »
Unobtanium!  Reminds me of the film Core.
  Is the story good?

Yes, it is. Even though there should be more of it.

And to be clear, the CGI does not replace the story here.

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 02:17:52 PM »
I'll check it out.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 11:18:24 AM »
I friggin loved the movie. And as far as that much cgi in a movie,, its rare to see one not sacrifice story for effects like you saw in Avatar.
 There needs to be more movies made like Avatar if they are going to use that much cgi.
Usualy its all cgi and poo story ( 2012, Knowing etc.)
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 04:26:52 PM »
Thanks to torrent sites,I have seen it.

Not worth of buying or theater visit because it's too long and part of story is missing like they planning to do Avatar2 in some day,I think.
i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 04:31:50 PM »

Not worth of buying or theater visit because it's too long and part of story is missing like they planning to do Avatar2 in some day,I think.

I haven't seen Avatar yet, but I'm guessing a download from a torrent site probably wasn't playing to the films strengths.  :D

Offline CMF

• Homo Superior
  • Intelligence is relative.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 05:43:40 PM »
One thing I learned here is that if Jack says something is good, it generally is  :P
(the other way does not necessarily work though: most of the stuff Jack does not like are great  :D)

I'll definitely go see it this Saturday. I hope there won't be many people with all the Christmas stuff...

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 09:28:29 PM »
Avatar is great,, but im also a little wierd when it comes to movies,, I crawl into them.
I loved movies no one else here liked, and I hated movies people here loved.
Avatar has its faults,, no doubt about that,, but as for its streangths,, its a damned sight better than the other crap thats being churned out to the masses.
I keep my standards low.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 03:01:35 AM »

While there might be a sequel (or even a prequel), I'm suspecting there will be a director's cut version for DVD. Several of Cameron's other films had extra material for video release, so I'm hoping Avatar will as well. Look at the extended edition Lord of the Rings discs, it might be some thing like that.

As far as not liking the film I gotta concur with red:

I haven't seen Avatar yet, but I'm guessing a download from a torrent site probably wasn't playing to the films strengths.  :D

No doubt.

The .avi I found has a pertty crappy picture and the NA'vi language is Cyrillic characters, which isn't helpful. :D

One thing I learned here is that if Jack says something is good, it generally is  :P
(the other way does not necessarily work though: most of the stuff Jack does not like are great  :D)

Wait. What? :D

Lately everybody's been telling me stuff I like is shite, so thanks the support...  :)

I'll definitely go see it this Saturday. I hope there won't be many people with all the Christmas stuff...

Good luck!

Avatar has its faults,, no doubt about that,, but as for its streangths,, its a damned sight better than the other crap thats being churned out to the masses.

Honestly, I feel the faults are pretty minor and one of my major concerns, that some of it is obviously missing, could be cleared up on DVD.

Bottom line: I'm willing to look at more. ;)

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 10:16:58 AM »
WITHOUT over analyzing it, and taking it at face value I thought the movie was breathtaking and brilliant. I got a freakishly flawless .avi of the movie and now I am totally pumped to go and see it in the theater. I cant even imagine how entranced I will be with the 3D version. My extended family usually tries to see a film together over the holidays and I am voting for this one hands down. As a matter of fact if I dont win the vote, they can go see what they want but Im going to Avatar!

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 12:17:53 PM »
Like I said,, it has its faults ( and like Jack said, they were relatively miner) , but its still a lot better than what Ive seen vomited forth from the movie factory lately.
I keep my standards low.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 01:48:58 PM »
I found good quality xvid copy from unnamed source without Russian subs etc.

I have to admit that Avatar wasn't bad,but I don't theater to watch it,maybe someday if good quality directors cut come out I might buy it.
i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 02:01:36 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmm in the uk near me there is a
2d / 3d / 18 certificate.
i watched the 3d version today and loved the movie.
the story isn't new but the visual effects are wow.
a poor copy just cannot show the quality of the film.
its the only movie i have watched in the cinema of late that i love.

a no brainer but fantastic anyway.a movie just to watch and the
family loved as well.
if this movie is reviewed well and is likes by the public then no 2/3 will be made (apparently the are written an scripted already ).
a movie to be viewed on the big screen .

a 9/10 for me (nothing is perfect )

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 05:05:20 PM »
Im buying it on dvd to add to my collection( damn thing is over 400 dvds as of now,, and Im picky!)
I keep my standards low.