Author Topic: This is why I hate modern music!  (Read 20681 times)

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
Re: This is why I hate modern music!
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2010, 11:19:46 AM »
The Kidz Bop commercials are the one's that drive me crazy. Why wouldn't you just have your kids listen to the original songs, bu the original artists? How did that whole trend even start? >_<

Offline frankcapri

• Human
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2010, 12:06:32 PM »
Not really. I mean, if you want, we can find thousands of songs that sound alike for 2-3 seconds. What bugs me really is when 50=80% of the song is copied and it becomes popular thanks to that part.

It's very obvious that he lifted that riff for that song which was actually the genesis
for Stairway to Heaven.  Whatever the case, yeah, it's really not work using a popular
song as a backing track then releasing it as another song.
Size, it doesn't matter to me so long as I get it...Gotta go now.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2010, 02:43:34 PM »
I need soft room from mental hospital after this thread.
i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2010, 08:06:11 PM »
It's very obvious that he lifted that riff for that song which was actually the genesis
for Stairway to Heaven.  Whatever the case, yeah, it's really not work using a popular
song as a backing track then releasing it as another song.

I think it actually worse to obviously steal a short riff. Sampling doesn't bug me. I might think the sampled song is dumb compared to the original.. but I get it. And some riff's are super classic.. like a blues line, or.. maybe even a surf music beat. But the Stairway to Heaven thing seems obviously stolen.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2010, 11:23:27 AM »
I said it in 1990 and ill say it again,, the day of the musician is over.
Now we have this sampling BS and the advent of digitalization has destroyed any use of real tallent out there.
If you can record a riff or sample someone elses song your an "artist". Where people like Ted Nugent and KISS actualy played an instrument and wrote their own things.
 Its a cheeper way for the record companies to make money.
 I call it Homogenized cowpoo.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline frankcapri

• Human
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2010, 12:04:23 PM »
There are still a lot of pop (read all popular music) musicians that write, record
and produce their own music without sampling.  If anything, digital technology
has given far more people the opprotunity to express their originality through
music and have it available to the public without having to use expensive recording
studios and record companies.

The Nuge and Kiss aren't very good examples of "good" musicians BTW  :D
Size, it doesn't matter to me so long as I get it...Gotta go now.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2010, 02:01:09 PM »
I don't think music's dead. with anything in life sometimes you have to search things out. But, I definitely think there are always talented creative people in the world.

I want to see more videos from the ABC song magic carpet ride mushroom people. It makes me sleepy and happy and fuzzy feeling :)

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2010, 09:36:01 AM »
There are still a lot of pop (read all popular music) musicians that write, record
and produce their own music without sampling.  If anything, digital technology
has given far more people the opprotunity to express their originality through
music and have it available to the public without having to use expensive recording
studios and record companies.

The Nuge and Kiss aren't very good examples of "good" musicians BTW  :D

I think they are  :D

What im getting at frank,, is that anyone with a midi set up and a keyboard can do whatever they like and someone will concider themselves an artist.
I play now for a couple bands,, ( lead guitar for one and bass for another). I dont concider a computer a musical instrument.
Aphex Twin bothers me since its not music,, its electronic sounds comming from a computer.
You dont even have to know how to play an instrument anymore,, any kid with the right programing and a pc can do what it took alot of us years to accomplish( I E sound good and play well).
 No before you mention it,, its not jealousy,, its disgust with the way things are going.
Alot of people have spent years getting good at their craft just to be replaced with the new flavor of the week one hit wonders that seem to crawl out from every rock that gets turned over.
 And I happen to like KISS and Ted Nugent. Alot of people do.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2013, 05:26:31 AM »
Call me a necromancer if you will, and I don't think any of the people participating in this discussion are even active any more (and more than one I am not on very good terms with, especially the stalker)....BUT, Frank, you should know more than anyone that Led Zeppelin stole absolutely everything, and I mean EVERYTHING(!!) they recorded and performed.  There is not a single song credited to them that was not originally recorded by someone else years and years earlier.

Robin, everyone has different taste in music, and midi instruments do not make music for you.  You still need to know how to compose.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »
I honestly didn't realize that about Zeppelin.
I do like the songs, regardless, but who knows what time will do.

Don't have too many problems with the entire regime of "modern music"  But I do hate me some lady gaga music, even so, she wrote a song I liked, I heard someone else sing it then found out it was her's so I listened to her version... she ruined her own song. 
Beyond her, there is a facade of terrible dance/rap songs and "hip hop" music that is so much worse than the crap I bought into liking in 2000. 
It's unbelievable to me, then I think, what would my grandpa think of the songs I liked then?  I wonder what he would think now, that I still listen to them. 
And people just a hair older than me hate that music.  I am just a hair older than the teenage hipsters, and I hate it all. 
I tried to like the rocker kid's new version of hard rock..... not so much.
I ended up liking this one song though,

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2013, 11:55:22 PM »
Hi Bea, yeah the Led Zep thing got me too. I was a huge fan as an early teen, to the point of learning how to play nearly every song on guitar (not to speed mind you, I'm not that good).

There is also the fact that young'uns have not heard as much music as grown-ups have.  It is all new to them.  They are still amazed by music.  Music that sounds old and tired to us could sound like a revolution to them.

One thing I have noticed amongst my younger friends is that they have the respect for the old stuff my gen never really had.  And that comes out in the music they write, there are nods to a lot of past performers in heaps of indie music as well as hip-hop/rnb.  Some see the samples in hip-hop as theft, but in this day and age permissions are need to use the samples and the use of the samples tends to not be a simple 'we are going to ride on this song's coattails' as the kids don't know that they are samples to start with.

But anywhoo, there is an old saying with will always ring true: There is no accounting for taste.