Author Topic: Horrorfest 2010  (Read 7032 times)

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
Horrorfest 2010
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:07:53 PM »
Horrorfest 2010 - (a.k.a. "8 Films to Die For") is an annual horror film festival featuring eight independent horror movies, sometimes with "secret" bonus films, all distributed by After Dark Films in the USA. The first HorrorFest was held in 2006.
Dread
Dread, the second in the Book of Blood franchise is a stylish horror/thriller about three college students working on a documentary for school focusing on what others dread in life.
The Final
After receiving a lake-house granted to him in his uncle?s will, Dane and his friends, Jack, Ravi, Andy and Emily prepare for a single night that will leave their tormentors scarred for life?physically and emotionally.[3]
The Graves
On their last weekend together, 2 girls are lost in a remote part of the Arizona desert where they are lured to Skull City Mine, an abandoned mine town. But they soon learn Skull City is anything but abandoned, and there?s no way out.
Kill Theory
Are you capable of the unthinkable? That?s the question seven college students face when they visit a secluded vacation home to celebrate graduation and are put to a horrific test by a mysterious killer.
Lake Mungo
A sixteen-year-old girl drowns while swimming in the local dam. With a verdict of accidental death, her grieving family buries her. A series of clues lead the family to Lake Mungo where her secret past emerges.[4]
The Reeds
A weekend boating trip through the Norfolk Broads becomes a terrifying, deadly ordeal for six 20-something year old friends.
Hidden
A man unwillingly returns to the small town he ran from 19 years ago. His cruel mother has recently died, and left him the house he grew up in and soon is entangled up in a series of events that seem beyond anyone?s control?
ZMD: Zombies of Mass Destruction
A conservative island community is under attack! Port Gamble, WA is being overrun with braineaters, and a rag tag band of rebels try to turn the tide and push the invading hoards of undead back.[5

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
Re: Horrorfest 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:10:13 PM »
Watched "The Final" tonight. It was pretty decent actually. Enough gore to make me peek through my fingers and enough suspense to make me almost pee my pants twice!  So Im going 5.5/10 for this one. 

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 09:23:54 AM »
Pass.  I don't "do" horror films.  To many traumatic viewings when I was a kid I guess (Exorcist 1+2, Poltergeist, Amityville Horror)...
* dweez shivers
--dweez

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 09:27:17 AM »
Some of the best comedies you'll ever see are disguised as horror films.

Today is The Graves. No, it has nothing to do with Robin. I dont think anyway.....

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 09:29:27 AM »
Pass.  I don't "do" horror films.  To many traumatic viewings when I was a kid I guess (Exorcist 1+2, Poltergeist, Amityville Horror)...
* dweez shivers

I don't think I've seen a horror film post the Exorcist that did anything to me other than make me yawn of giggle.

I'm always on the lookout for that to change tho' and will probably plough through all the ones OC has listed when I find the time - so thanks for this thread.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 09:34:46 AM »
RG and I have posted some excellent horror movies within this thread. Ones that were truly horrorific. Good "ghost stories", "slashers", and "classics" If you ever want a list Ill be glad to post them.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 09:36:16 AM »
I got the first three volumes of the "horrorfest" series.
Although,, volume three seemed to be lacking except for "The Broken".
You never knmow what lies on the other side of mirrors.
 Im hoping this years offing is better.
BTW, Cheapie,, get The Gravedancers and Unerthed ..you wont be disapointed with them.
RG and I have posted some excellent horror movies within this thread. Ones that were truly horrorific. Good "ghost stories", "slashers", and "classics" If you ever want a list Ill be glad to post them.

Yeah,, We can both give you a list of good ones. Not these Friday the 13th part 67 bs either.
 Dark Flooes was cool too ( had the band Lordi in it as the monsters,, and they did a hell of a job)
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 11:51:19 AM »
I don't think I've seen a horror film post the Exorcist that did anything to me other than make me yawn of giggle.

I'm always on the lookout for that to change tho' and will probably plough through all the ones OC has listed when I find the time - so thanks for this thread.

And if my memory serves me, I was about 3 or 4 when both The Exorcist and the Exorcist 2 came on TV (1 aired then 2 aired the next day).  We all watched 1 as a family but I didn't want to watch 2.  We only had 1 TV and it was a small house so I was right in the other room and could hear the whole thing.  I think hearing it and imagining the images for myself was worse.
--dweez

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 12:27:37 PM »
And if my memory serves me, I was about 3 or 4 when both The Exorcist and the Exorcist 2 came on TV.  We all watched 1 as a family

You had very liberal minded parents when you were little. The scariest film I saw when I was 4 was The Wizard of Oz. When I was about 8 or 9 I graduated to The Creature From the Black Lagoon.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 02:01:56 PM »
My parents were divorced and my mom was working 60-80 hours a week to support 5 kids.  I believe she was sleeping at the time.
--dweez

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 09:26:38 AM »
The Exorcist was prettygood.
Oart 2 was a letdown and part 3 was a little too far.
Prequel and Dominion were the same actors, locations and general story,, I have them both,, and I thought they were both pretty good .
One of them was the first to be made, and the studio thought it would make the audiences think too much,, so they had the other done as the actual movie that was to be released.
The first I thought was better.
I keep my standards low.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 11:21:04 AM »
Dread - I cant believe it but this is the 2nd one Ive watched and the 2nd one that Im gonna give aVERY decent. I would even watch this one again.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 06:11:31 PM »
The Graves & ZMD: Zombies of Mass Destruction- I just cant do it. I tried to watch both twice and they are just to bad to even sit through. Graves has a few B actors in it that you may recognize to help you get through it but thats its only hope. ZMD is just pure crap. Cant even make it 15 minutes into the movie....but I did try at least.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 07:28:14 PM »
Yeah,, ZMD SUCKED!!! ( and thats something coming from me!!)
I keep my standards low.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 06:07:13 PM »
Kill Theory
Without a doubt the goriest of the bunch. Serious blood and guts. AWESOME!! Decent story, decent actors, would easily make a buck at the box office. Nice twist at the end (saw it coming but still......)

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 10:02:15 PM »
Lake Mungo - This is a precident setting movie for me. Its the first "docu-drama" that i have ever found entertaining. If you decide to watch it give it at least 15 minutes before you form your opinion. I HATED Blair Witch, Paranormal Activity, and Cloverfield. Thought they were complete and udder trash but this movie is pretty damn good. I still dont know if it is based on fact or fiction. Im guessing fiction because there is no documentation to say otherwise but it was pretty good. Like i said, it took a minute to get into it but after that, hook, line and sinker.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 09:46:30 AM »
I liked Cloverfield.
BUT,, I like things like that,, I even liked Diary Of The Dead and The Zombie Diaries,,even Quarentine,, they were all done similar.
I keep my standards low.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 03:30:36 PM »
OK, done.

The Reeds - AAHHH!! Not only is Will Mellor in this but he is the first one to die!!! WTF!?! The movie was much to tedious for me but it was good for sitting around filling time with spooky stuff. 5/10

Hidden - Norwegian film. Youve seen the story before but I think this was done quite well. 6/10

I actually burned copies of Dread and Hidden. Pretty good line up for this years HorrorFest.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 01:59:53 PM »
Unfortunately,, this years offerings arent available here.
Much like last years ( I got Broken,, it was the only one in this area,, and was pretty pleased with it)
I keep my standards low.