Author Topic: Mass Effect  (Read 4621 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Mass Effect
« on: January 02, 2010, 02:01:08 PM »
Holy crap! I can not believe no one told me about this game! It blends all the stuff I like about oblivion with energy guns!

At first I was worried that Shepard would be "yet another space marine" but you can play him as a complete gentlemen. When the embassy kiosk called an alien a "lesser species" I got to yell at it for being racist!  ;D

I do wish I'd paid a bit more attention to looting on the first planet, as things in the store are quite expensive. I made the mistake of treating it like a FPS instead of an RPG.

Unfortunately, the $5 sale is over now, so if you want to get this game, you might try amazon or gamestop. I know the xbox 360 version goes for about $15.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
Re: Mass Effect
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 03:25:36 PM »
Actually, at Best Buy you can get the Platinum version which includes a second disk of all sorts of stuff, including DLC "Bringing Down the Sky".

There are two parts of this game I find annoying, but the game itself is good enough to look past it inevitably.

1. The bless'ed squad AI.

I've always hated squad-based game because of the AI's tendency to be stupid as poo. And while the AIs in this game actually do things - like kill enemies, say - it's really frustrating when one of your teammates is constantly standing between you and enemies. One time I was fighting next to Wrex and he stood in front of me. So I moved a step to the left and before I can pull the trigger, Wrex steps once to the left as well resuming his position between me and the enemies. So I moved again - and he did it AGAIN! GAH!

2. The conversations - LOTS of conversations

If you're into bantering heads, this game has them in spades. A good 33% of this game is talking to people and the conversations really do affect  the outcomes of many situations. But some of these people can drone on forever!

I'm interested enough to play the sequel, and I understand that a save game from ME1 has certain effects on the gameplay of ME2, but I haven't really looked into what effects those actually are...