Author Topic: Who's annoyed with the vuvuzela  (Read 11667 times)

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
Who's annoyed with the vuvuzela
« on: June 16, 2010, 05:56:55 AM »
It's a constant cacophony of noise.
   It wouldn't be so bad if they only blew them when a goal was scored.
      It sounds like a bloody wasps nest in my TV.
   Who else feels the same here?

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
Re: Who's annoyed with the vuvuzela
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 06:53:54 AM »
I was thinking of getting the kids one each. They sell them on ebay for about ?4 a pop.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 07:27:41 AM »

I quite like them as they help to keep me awake during the games (with the exception of the France game). 

It is far better to have the constant background enthusiasm then a half empty stadium with the silence only broken by an occasional sneeze, and as it is traditional in African football, who am I to question them.  After all, I'd rather that tradition than the British one of getting your head kicked in.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 07:31:20 AM »
I wouldn't mind them being a bit louder. I can still hear Clive Tyldesley's annoying commentary.

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 07:50:15 AM »
Jesus you lot,don't you like to hear the crowd,the players the atmosphere?
  Sorry but hearing a noise that sounds like an angry wasps nest just doesn't cut it,neither does the money aspect.
   Some twit in the Times Online said" Well they're selling well"
Ah!  So money's more important then?  ::)  What a jerk!
    There have been loads of complaints about them,im not the only one.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 07:56:43 AM »
I wouldn't mind them being a bit louder. I can still hear Clive Tyldesley's annoying commentary.

^ snorts

I've grown up with them since I was little, you can even win them at carnivals here. And, I'm good at tuning at white noise (or noises in gerneral)..so to me it sounds like a persistent insect sound, and I can still hear chants above it... Like during England vs. US I could easily hear people singing Englan's anthem. And.. it sort of adds to how excited everyone is to be there.. But, I can see how it would bug people. I just have a good filtering system ::)

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 07:58:32 AM »
They're going to filter it over the TV now anyway,so it should hopefully help.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 08:02:27 AM »

What does that mean then?  They are going to turn the match volume down and the commentary up?

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 10:48:43 AM »
What does that mean then?  They are going to turn the match volume down and the commentary up?

Commentary bugs me more then crowd noise or coaching prompts. Sometimes commentary is so bad on UFC I have to turn it down. Then, it messes up my enjoyment of the 'feel' of the match. So, I turn it back up. Ideally it's best to watch commentary in another language that I can't understand :D

The funny thing about vuvuzela's is when you use one it's hard to get more then a fart noise from it. And, it's hard to sustain breath to keep it going. It's a testament to how excited the crowds are that they're getting that loud.

Offline CMF

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
  • Intelligence is relative.
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 02:05:42 PM »
I hate the vuvuzelas. I grew up watching football matches, listening to colourful commentators and enjoying the sound of the field. The vuvzelas make my ears bleed. They should be banned not only because of they are annoying, but also because they distract the football players and the coaches. How can you communicate in such a cacophony?

Let's not also mention that vuvuzelas are extremely bad for the hearing and an exposure may reduce your audition.

It is far better to have the constant background enthusiasm then a half empty stadium with the silence only broken by an occasional sneeze, and as it is traditional in African football, who am I to question them.  After all, I'd rather that tradition than the British one of getting your head kicked in.

They are not traditional. Vuvuzela is claimed to be invented by Freddie Maake in 1965. Yet, these annoying horns have become popular in South Africa only in 2001, when massive production began.
Vuvuzelas are annoying as hell. I guess the fans blow them to distract the opponents, so I hope for that reason that South Africa gets eliminated soon.

But then again, why would they blow them on other games as well???

Anyways, I ahte the vuvuzelas. In 2009, many people complained of them during the Confederations Cup. FIFA didn't do anything about it.

I won't mind the vuvuzelas to be blown during the game, but NOT DURING THE 90 MINUTES!!!
Do the people even have time to breathe?

I couldn't wait for the South Africa Cup to hear some traditional cheering songs. But if the vuvuzelas are all what they do in RSA, I am turning my TV mute.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 03:25:50 AM »
Finnish TV filtering now vuvuzela sounds away after lots of angry customer replies.
Matches are much better now.
i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 04:15:42 AM »

They are not traditional. Vuvuzela is claimed to be invented by Freddie Maake in 1965. Yet, these annoying horns have become popular in South Africa only in 2001, when massive production began.

They have been popular in South Africa since the 90s and it's origin is disputed, but if it was invented by an African 45 years ago, that would support them being traditionally African would it not?

Making a noise at a football match is a traditional just about anywhere you go.  When I used to go as a kid a lot of people used to take these:

and they really did make an awful racket. Things have only quietened down since the instigation of all seated stadiums, which for my money took a lot of the audible spirit away from the stands.

Perhaps people elsewhere don't sing till their lungs bleed to offer support of their teams, but here they do and I can imagine it would upset a lot of people if the World Cup was held here and fans were told to stop?

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 04:30:20 AM »
I honestly don't understand why people are irritated by the vuvuzelas. I find the band who play "The Great Escape" at England games far more irritating (and embarrassing).

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 04:35:07 AM »

I know you're a couple of years younger than me Red, but do you remember the football rattles on the terraces?  They made a terrific din but are one of the few things I can remember vividly about the experience - that and Charlie George's hair ..

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 04:45:56 AM »
I remember the rattles, but the most vivid memories about standing on the kop were the crowd surges. Because I was only small when a surge happened I'd be lifted off my feet and would end up 5 - 10 yards away from where I started.

And the songs

"Una Paloma Blanca, Francis Lee is a plonker"

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 05:08:29 AM »
I remember the rattles, but the most vivid memories about standing on the kop were the crowd surges. Because I was only small when a surge happened I'd be lifted off my feet and would end up 5 - 10 yards away from where I started.

And the songs

"Una Paloma Blanca, Francis Lee is a plonker"

Hahaha!!

Yep I'd forgotten the crowd surges.  I can remember the fella I went with sensing one coming by some mysterious power, and would deftly swing me up to his shoulders so as not to lose me.  I think I spent 90% of the time on someone or other's shoulders - it was like pass-the-parcel.

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 07:56:58 PM »
I don't understand,maybe mine and several thousand other people just like the natural atmosphere,the crowd the players etc.
 At world cup events it's never quiet,but you don't get a constant drone like that.
  Even the Brazilian drums aren't played constantly and they sound 100's of times better.
  The natural atmosphere of a world cup doesn't need those bless'ed things.
They can shove em.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 03:28:00 AM »

I'm growing to like them more and more each day and I'm thinking of taking one to my kids' sports day.

I don't really understand why armchair supporters even worry about them as they can simply turn their sets down, it's the people at the stadiums that surely must have the call.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 06:37:23 AM »
They were very funny when the press was interviewing the French coach :D The press conference was tense, and serious.. and random ones kept tooting outside the press room. It was a good example of mockery :)

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 07:32:32 AM »
I'm growing to like them more and more each day and I'm thinking of taking one to my kids' sports day.

I don't really understand why armchair supporters even worry about them as they can simply turn their sets down, it's the people at the stadiums that surely must have the call.

It doesn't solve the problem turning the sets down.
  I like to hear when teams score.
      Thankfully Argentina's game wasn't overbearing. 2 - 0 would of been more if Tevez was playing.

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 07:00:15 PM »
Oh my:  http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/23/bzzzzzz-youtube-gets-a-vuvuzela-button-seriously/

YouTube always has had a way with pranks. Some time in the last hour, the world?s largest video portal activated a new button on some videos that looks like a tiny soccer ball. Clicking it will activate an endless, incredibly annoying sound that sounds vaguely like a swarm of insects. Or, for anyone who has been watching the World Cup, like the dreaded Vuvuzela ? an instrument commonly played in South Africa at football (soccer) games. South Africa is, of course, the host country for this year?s World Cup, and fans watching the games have been subjected to the vuvuzela?s mindless drone for hours on end.

The noise is so annoying that television networks have taken measures to filter it out, and guides have popped up showing viewers how to block it from their TV sets and computers. But despite complaints, FIFA has decided not to ban the vuvuzela because of its traditional significance. Fun fact: one report says that the guy who brought the plastic vuvuzela to the market in South Africa is also in the business of selling ear plugs. Smart guy.

I?m not seeing the button show up on all videos, but it is definitely appearing on some clips that aren?t soccer related. Here?s one that has it.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 09:04:17 AM »

I saw Vuvuzelas in Lidl for ?1.99 yesterday and I was tempted to grab one while I was there.  As England are out though I didn't see the point.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 06:46:13 PM »
Vuvuzela's gives nightmares for me,some idiots here tooting everywhere.

i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 02:48:15 PM »
A friend of mine at work has a vuvuzela phone app :) He was running around cheering and playing it.. and he accidentally dropped his phone and nearly cracked it :D

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 03:14:11 PM »
If i see anyone with one of those infernal bless'ed things,i'll insert it where the sun doesn't shine.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 03:42:22 PM »
 :o

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 04:47:47 PM »
If i see anyone with one of those infernal bless'ed things,i'll insert it where the sun doesn't shine.

Be careful won't you, I've seen people with them that are over the age of 12. :)

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 05:03:05 PM »
I've got a feeling we'll be hearing them at English games up and down the country next season.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2010, 05:12:24 PM »

'I'm forever blowing bubbles' is wearing a bit thin anyhow, even if it is the Arsenal singing it.

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2010, 06:01:08 AM »
Be careful won't you, I've seen people with them that are over the age of 12. :)

:D :D :D

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 09:13:45 AM »
Every time I see this commercial this week, I think of Gee :P