Author Topic: I hate Adobe CS5 products.  (Read 8459 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
I hate Adobe CS5 products.
« on: July 06, 2010, 04:40:47 AM »

I have been using the CS5 suite on one of my machine since it came out and I am growing more annoyed and frustrated that I uninstalled CS3.  For a start, all the software seems to guzzle RAM like it is going out of fashion and the little gizmodic updates are just not worth the hassle.

Photoshop is by far the worst with hang times of 3 or 4 seconds when just clicking on the text tool, and this with a 3.6ghz dual core running 4gb of RAM!?  Another thing is it doesn't like my graph card which is powerful enough with a gig of onboard memory, but it breaks the viewport by not redrawing properly:

Those lines/breaks don't render like that, it renders fine. But when working with fine areas it is impossible with the graphics breaking up like that. Apparently, it is a known issue with some cards but I do not buy (cough) software that insists I change my hardware, the other way round if anything.  Good job Adobe! Maybe next time you can stress test your software before you release it.

Dreamweaver CS5 has a great on the fly server facility which allows you build dymanic pages and preview them in real time, but it does get a bit cumbersome with sites made in DW before this as profiling them is hard to do manually.  Because of this I have reverted to running my own Apache and keeping a browser open that I refresh.  Much cleaner, quicker and like in the old days, I can do small alterations in notepad.

Illustrator hasn't changed that much from what I can see and I haven't looked into Fireworks or Flash to any degree yet. But for me the all the interfaces seem to have taken a stop backwards and look more 'childlike' than their predecessors.

I'm sorry but it all has to go.

Soon.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
Re: I hate Adobe CS5 products.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 06:16:41 AM »
I was thinking of upgrading from CS3 to CS5, not sure I'll bother now.  :-\

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 11:11:15 AM »
Newer is not always better.  ;)

Offline AlienBC

• Chief Sig Designer
  • Cro-Magnon
  • VIA
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 12:15:17 PM »
the text tool  >:( It's the same with genuine PS not just the hacked software.
I'm back on win7 now I sorted out my external HD. It's still as PSCS4 used it over the weekend and its by far quicker than the new one. So I will leave cs4 on 7 and keep cs5 on Xp As for the updates i never bothered downloading them ever.

Your right new software don't always mean better performance.

Wait - Photoshop does colour now?

Incorrect photoshop as and will always be a Gray Scale application software. Which means it don't use colour it uses the RGB colour from your monitor and printer........
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 01:00:18 PM by AlienBC »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 01:20:29 PM »
Wait - Photoshop does colour now?

Wow - who knew.

* christ goes off to upgrade to Photoshop 2.

And they've got it to run off electricity now, that should save you some cash on your gas bill.

the text tool  >:( It's the same with genuine PS not just the hacked software.

My copy is an untouched retail version which for my money, is over-bloated.  It's not just Adobe either.  My 2011 versions (what year are we in) of Mudbox and Maya do nothing except crash, crash and then crash some more.  The GUIs for those products also look infantile (lots of colours) but the functionality is just shot in the pair of them

I blame windows 7 for most of this.  Now that the standard MS OS is a fattened, glossy, memory munching monster, with the 64bit version vying for 1st place in the market, software developers have put the efficiency and functionality of what they develop well and truly on the back burner in favour of equally inefficient software.  I don't want Windows 7, Vista, or XP when it comes down to it. I simply want an OS that uses as little of my system resources as possible leaving the majority of it for my applications (that are developed with the same ideology).

Offline AlienBC

• Chief Sig Designer
  • Cro-Magnon
  • VIA
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 01:31:53 PM »
that was a good insight Smokester that's what i like about forums. Without this interaction I would start thinking it's time to upgrade my puter...But it's not the true case yes my laptop is over a year old now and dated compared to new ones. But that's not the problem it seems to be dodgy software in oppose to hardware....

cheers  8)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 07:51:45 AM »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 04:09:59 PM »

It's confirmed, I don't like any of it.

I had to reinstall Dreamweaver CS3 today as CS5 is TOO automated.  I was finding it impossible to check the code it wrote as it was shoving in far too much for what I wanted, especially with the Spry framework. 

There is no doubt that the CS5 suite is powerful, indeed 'very' powerful, but it has got to the point where human input is surplus to requirements.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 02:06:43 AM »
Linux?
gimp isnt too bad. even on windoze

still using cs2 myself  ;D and lightroom 3  ;D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 02:45:33 AM »

I hardly fire up CS5 at all now as all the CS3 software is more than capable of doing what I want.  I would use PS CS5 with all the little clever additions but it just isn't efficient on the machine I use it on.  I will build another comp soon and max out the hardware, as I need to have that for some of my CGI stuff. Perhaps then I will go on another date with CS5 (until then I'm keeping my drawers on).

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 04:58:42 AM »
such a shame you have to upgrade / buy  / build a pc just for a program

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 05:23:11 AM »
such a shame you have to upgrade / buy  / build a pc just for a program

The problem is too, that without an alternative to the standard methods of cooling CPUs, the best way around Moore's law is to double, triple, quadruple etc, processor cores and I'd need a core per app with the CS5 suite which seems a bit like overkill.

I've always had at least 3 computers networked which is pretty much the same thing as multi-core processing, but whichever way you look at it, everytime I fire up Adobe CS5 apps there is a spike on the national grid.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 12:51:50 AM »
you have changed the amount of ram that you can allocate to cs have you  ???
i forgot once   :D :D :D :D boy was it slow.

i agree on the overheating too, i'm looking at how to improve my cooling
not that i use demanding prog's , but my pc is in an enclosed space and the odd night whilst
d/loading it has shut down being so hot.
trouble is i have never done this sort of thing and i'm at a loss where to start.
i have my motherboard spec and cpu but what now.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 03:12:55 AM »
i agree on the overheating too, i'm looking at how to improve my cooling
not that i use demanding prog's , but my pc is in an enclosed space and the odd night whilst
d/loading it has shut down being so hot.
trouble is i have never done this sort of thing and i'm at a loss where to start.
i have my motherboard spec and cpu but what now.

The only thing you can do really is upgrade the Heatsink.  I personally use a 'Blue Orb' which is great but incredibly bulky. Another fantastic method is to do away with the heatsink altogether and immerse your comp in coolant oil, which will put paid to any overheating problems for sure:

But if your comp isn't overheating, you don't have to do either.

The issue isn't about existing hardware as we have ways of ensuring it will work (most of the time). The issue is that processors cannot get any faster as they would melt themselves, and I believe we've maxed out at about 4.5GHz.  We need to find new ways of cooling like dry-ice and perhaps some kind of bio hybriding, but nothing that is being developed or experimented with is what you'd call 'commercially viable', so we are stuck with just the primitive method of doubling things up.  This being the fact, I would prefer that software attempts to become more efficient (like engines), rather than guzzling more fuel in an attempt to carry the weight of its oversized 4x4 chassis that you do not need to get the kids to school - if you see what I mean.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 08:17:19 AM »
Do you have any room to add more fans to your case?  I know with the case I have, I ended up adding two more 120mm fans after the fact.
--dweez