Author Topic: Desserts, sweets, puddings, cakes and others things sweet.  (Read 9640 times)

Offline xtopave

• Q
Re: Desserts, sweets, puddings, cakes and others things sweet.
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 08:57:57 AM »
That makes me wish I have condensed milk at home!! Sounds delicious, subvinorosa.

And that brought to my mind a typical Brazilian sweet that's also easy to make called Beijinhos de coco (Coconut kisses)

1 can condensed milk
150g grated coconut
2 spoons unsalted butter
Granulated sugar

Put the condensed milk, the coconut and the butter in a pan on medium heat and stir until the mixture becomes consistent and it unsticks from the pan. Let it cool down, make little balls and roll them in granulated sugar (or more grated coconut). Typically they're decorated with a clove. Unlike subvinorosa's yemas I think these are best cold.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »
so do they harden chewy like taffy?

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 02:15:56 PM »
Beijinhos are softer than that and they're not... elastic for a lack of a better word.

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 10:33:18 PM »
The yema can harden if cooked long enough.  Generally though, it's soft and chewy.  Some cook it to harden like candy, others like me, prefer it soft.  And I never make yema with just one can.  That's nowhere going to be enough.

Xtopave, what sort of grated coconut?  Dry or will fresh grated coconut do?

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 06:09:53 AM »
Xtopave, what sort of grated coconut?  Dry or will fresh grated coconut do?

I've never done it with fresh grated coconut and I imagine that would give too much moisture. But I wonder if adding an egg yolk (much like in yema) could work when using fresh grated coconut.

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 09:35:25 AM »
I'll give it a try one of these days.  The kids like the sweet stuff a lot.  Thankfully, our skinny genes are keeping them, well, skinny.  At least for now.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 03:30:08 AM »
Jamarama.

I am about to process the last of 30 pounds of apricots.  I made alot of jam and I'm about to make more.  When I'm finished with these, I have a couple batches of italian prune plums that are waiting to be processed.  Anybody ever work with these?  People give me fruit and I cook it and put it into jars.

That apricot jam is really tasty and such a great color.  It smells so nice when it cooks.  There is a great deal of standing around and stirring involved.  My parakeet really likes the sound that the canning jars make as they are being sterilized.  They clank in the pot while they boil.  He sings and sings.  This is encouraging.

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 11:22:24 PM »
I am about to process the last of 30 pounds of apricots.
That apricot jam is really tasty and such a great color.

Yuuuummmm!!

italian prune plums that are waiting to be processed.  Anybody ever work with these?

I've never made jam with those but they're quite common here. They're not very juicy and the pit comes out really easy so I imagine you'll have less work than with other kinds of plums. Good luck!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 12:10:35 AM »
They are not juicy, no.  Nor are they very sweet.

I had weird jam day.  First the apricots had fermented, but they still made a palatable jam, only I had to add more sugar than normal.  The prune plums were difficult too, because they didn't have lots of flavor, so I had to add more sugar than usual with cinnamon and star anise to give it some character.  It's a beautiful color, but I'm not sure it's up to snuff with the other jams.  I went to several french recipe sites and they had recommendations similar to what I used.

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 07:48:27 AM »
The prune plums were difficult too, because they didn't have lots of flavor, so I had to add more sugar than usual with cinnamon and star anise to give it some character.

I'm willing to bet it tastes fantastic.

They are not juicy, no.  Nor are they very sweet.

They're generally less tart and sweeter than other plums but unfortunately every once in a while you come by fruit that doesn't have much flavor.
I always buy at the same greengrocer so when I ask the vendor how good is something he doesn't lie to me. Much.  :D

My mom's lemon tree is full of lemons. I've never used them other than for juice or lemon pie. Do you have a recipe for a lemon jam or something like that, 6p.
Btw, I've made candied orange peels the other day. I should have gave away part of them cause I'm eating, and eating...  ::)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 09:33:32 AM »
These are plums that I obtained from a neighbor's tree.  They ranged from quite ripe to just barely, but they had a beautiful smell before I cut them.  They weren't very sweet to begin with.  I added sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and star anise.  It's a great color.  I'm highly critical of my skills, so often jams I deem a disaster are actually good the next day.  I'll let you know when we have breakfast.

Lemons can be used to make lemon curd or marmalade.  I've made lemon marmalade with plain lemons but you can cut the fruit with strawberries or other sweeter fruits.

Here's an excellent recipe I got from the bbc website:  If you don't put this up in canning jars (it keeps for at least 6 months after putting in sterilized canning jars and subjecting them to a hot water bath), you need to refrigerate it because of the eggs.

And one important tip:  cream the butter and sugar together first before adding any lemon zest or juice.  This way it won't curdle.  If it does  you have to run it through a strainer which is not fun.

Lemon Curd
by Burrastow House Hotel

Makes 4-6 jars

4 lemons, rind and juice
4 eggs
110g/4oz butter
450g/1lb sugar (c. 2 cups)
Method

1. Grate rind of lemons and squeeze out juice. Put sugar, rind and juice, butter and beaten eggs into a large basin on top of a pan of simmering water. Stir with a wooden spoon until thick and curd coats the back of the spoon. Pour into warm sterile jars, cover, seal and label. Refrigerate.

For citrus marmalades, you need to slice the fruit thinly after cutting into quarters or eighths.  Then let it soak overnight in a pan with enough water to cover so it floats freely.  The 2nd day bring to a boil and let it cook until the rinds are tender.  Let it sit overnight.  The 3rd day, measure it.  You will want to add up to an equal amount of sugar, but begin with a few cups shy of the overall volume.  Then add it as it cooks to taste.  You should keep a small plate or saucer in the freezer.  When the marmalade begins to reach 220 degrees fahrenheit, or it begins to sheet off the spoon (you have to stir it pretty regularly/I use a large silicone spatula to keep scraping the bottom of the pot to insure it doesn't stick) drop a teaspoon on the freezer plate, and put it back into the freezer for a couple of minutes.  It should wrinkle when pushed if it's ready, and if you drag a finger through the drop, the jam should remain separated into two separate areas instead of running back together.

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »
Thank you 6p!! I'll try those when I can.