Author Topic: Huge problem  (Read 10818 times)

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
Re: Huge problem
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 01:20:28 AM »
Quick hijack, my apologies in advance, just got one q:  Has anyone tried freezing an external hard drive before and what results did you get?

Thanks.

Scooting over now.

Sorry honey.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 05:42:00 AM »
Yes, it can work depending on what hardware part has failed but it is a measure of last resort.
--dweez

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 06:27:02 PM »
Sorry honey.

no worries, this is an open thread.  :P
Also, my sister and I reinstalled windows
and learned our lessons.  :D
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 07:43:43 AM »
Thanks all.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 03:26:41 AM »
I had a system meltdown on this comp yesterday too.  There were virii everywhere and around 30 extra entries in my "run" registry key pointing to them.  When I had gotten rid of them (those that I could find) the computer just would not start and hung at the mup.sys stage of startup.  Even when I put my windows disk in it went into a spin cycle that wouldn't stop (never had that before?) so it had to get the big wipe and here I am back.

I never have anything but bookmarks and email to restore on this comp as I keep the system really light and easily to restore, all my files and whatnot get tranferred to a sandboxed machine.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 08:39:27 PM »
Isn't email server side anyway? Or are you referring to something like Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail?

I've never thought about exporting my bookmarks before and now that I think about it, it would suck grandly if I lost all of the bookmarks I've collected in the past 2 years.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 05:06:06 PM »
I use Outlook combined with Microsoft accounting for invoices and customer databases etc.  All my important mail is POP and for all my junk I use Webmail.  Of course as I host the sites I do have control over the email accounts on the server, but that doesn't give you much in the way of archiving.

Turns out this problem is a faulty drive as it happened again this morning.  I have chucked in a different drive and I am back with a decent screen again (Diasfora on my phone just isn't the same) but I am not convinced the issue has gone :-\

Fingers crossed eh.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 11:20:16 PM »
My drivers in my external dock (total of 1.6TB) are acting up.  I'm gonna deal with it tomorrow.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 09:32:45 AM »
My drivers in my external dock (total of 1.6TB) are acting up.  I'm gonna deal with it tomorrow.

"Drives" do you mean?  If so, good luck with that. 

Something is very weird with this comp' since I had to change the system drive?  I think I might just get my wallet out and buy something new to build.  Triple monitor this time and then do away with the internet comp altogether and just use my laptop for it. 

I'm too tired to think about it now though.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2011, 11:42:24 PM »
Yeah, I meant "drives".

Well, it seems it's probably the external dock or the USB cable.  I have another external dock (single-bay as opposed to the 2xbay of the one that's acting up) and it seems to work fine.  Still, it has given me an opportunity and an urgency to clean up my hdds.  I want to get off all data I want to keep off the two hdds and then run some diagnostics (off Hiren's) and verify whether or not the drives are still good.
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 12:21:27 AM »
i regularly back up my bookmarks ,I  wouldn't even know where to obtain them again.
so you two pc guru's   ;D
how easy is a sandbox to install and use.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 06:30:33 AM »
If you don't care about having your data out there in the cloud, there are several bookmark sync type apps out there (at least for firefox).

I used to use Sandboxie all the time.  Made it super easy.  Just right click the shortcut and select "Run Sandboxed".  On this new computer, I more often just use my Linux VM.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 02:46:19 PM »
Firefox backs up your bookmarks automatically.  You can retrieve them from (in my XP case):

Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\gdpzjsd4.default\bookmarkbackups

If your system is dead you can use Mini Xp that can be found on Hiren's to boot into, and save the latest bookmark json file to a pen drive or whatever - then just import it when you've re-installed eveything.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 01:56:44 AM »
I use Outlook combined with Microsoft accounting for invoices and customer databases etc.  All my important mail is POP and for all my junk I use Webmail.  Of course as I host the sites I do have control over the email accounts on the server, but that doesn't give you much in the way of archiving.

Turns out this problem is a faulty drive as it happened again this morning.  I have chucked in a different drive and I am back with a decent screen again (Diasfora on my phone just isn't the same) but I am not convinced the issue has gone :-\

Fingers crossed eh.

I'm sure you have some sort of RAID configuration though no?

If you don't care about having your data out there in the cloud, there are several bookmark sync type apps out there (at least for firefox).

I used to use Sandboxie all the time.  Made it super easy.  Just right click the shortcut and select "Run Sandboxed".  On this new computer, I more often just use my Linux VM.

Yeah, I've never really used a cloud-based bookmarks service, I know my cousin has been using one for a few years now. I wouldn't mind using it though, it's only bookmarks.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:59:34 AM by hmed2390 »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 01:33:38 PM »
I don't have a RAID setup at present, but most of my kit has one problem or another that I just cannot be arsed to sort out, so it's all in limbo so to speak. I find the longer I have away from computers the more I lose my enthusiasm for them, and now I'm starting to pine for the 70's.