Author Topic: Huge problem  (Read 12068 times)

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
Re: Huge problem
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 03:48:08 PM »
I don't have a RAID setup at present, but most of my kit has one problem or another that I just cannot be arsed to sort out, so it's all in limbo so to speak. I find the longer I have away from computers the more I lose my enthusiasm for them, and now I'm starting to pine for the 70's.

That sucks. Usually when I have pc issues it's also an all day thing for me, I'm a perfectionist so I end up sorting my files or backing stuff up and one thing leads to another and next thing I know hours have passed.

Good luck Smokes.
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011, 05:08:19 PM »
I've never used RAID on my home computers (although most if not all the builds have RAID support on the mobo).  For the most part, I don't have anything that I can't live without if an hdd crashes or I have the data duplicated on another system or two).  Now that hdds are getting so large, I might end up getting a NAS and using RAID on that but...we'll see.
--dweez

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2011, 04:56:37 PM »
I might end up getting a NAS and using RAID on that but...we'll see.

I've wanted to do something similar to that for over a year now. I don't really have things that would ruin me if my hdds kicked the bucket either, but I take pride in my growing music collection and my media in general(I buy what I can). Plus, companies like amazon are offering cloud services for any digital purchases and I'm sure many others will soon offer the same. I can't see myself really needing so much storage unless I go through with my home studio project (pending) :P
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain