Site Related > Site Suggestions

Books and/or Current Events.

(1/2) > >>

8ullfrog:
So Gore Vidal died. That's supposed to be a big deal because he was a political agitator back when adults were Adults instead of aged children.

Mostly I remember him because he wrote some creepy book about sterilized people, lesbians, an end of the world cult, and monkeys. (No not 12 monkeys.)

I'm not sure anyone on the den is as well read as to have heard of Vidal, but I have a strange feeling people here would have, and might give a poo about such a thread.

So, ball is in your court diasfora.

smokester:
I'm afraid all I can offer is seeing the copy of 'The City and the Pillar' on my mum's bookcase when I was a kid, but I have never gotten around to reading it like so many others I had intended to. 

That and the fact that I refuse to mention Da Ali G Show, and by the looks of it, I even failed at that.

goldshirt*9:
I know of him from "your" TV , that's all .
didn't realise he wrote, but then again I should have as many a political critic are also writers ( some good, some bad  ;D ;D).
Reading his book list, Variety is or was his spice of life.
his other achievements are enviable.

HE wrote Caligula 1979. :o
What a national treasure.

8ullfrog:
He wasn't afraid to push the envelope, as it were.

Norman Mailer punched him in the mouth. His reply? "Words fail Norman Mailer yet again."

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/2012/08/wanna_see_gore_vidal_and_norma.php

I found it amusing, this was a roundtable, which turns into a team against Mailer.
Unfortunately, they remain civil, so the amazing story of the punching is not immortalized on film.

smokester:

--- Quote from: christ on August 02, 2012, 04:32:36 AM ---I always considered him to be the worst kind of snob.

--- End quote ---

They're the worst kind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version