Author Topic: No Bootable Device Dell D620  (Read 8977 times)

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
No Bootable Device Dell D620
« on: September 05, 2012, 01:28:50 PM »
I have posted to a mulittude of tech support sites with this new problem and apparently I have caught up with most of them in "knowledge" because it seems like my responses are being spewed by 5th graders. HA!! Sorry just frustrated.

Here is a copy of the post:
I want to downgrade my OS back to XP today, long story, but I couldnt get the install to begin so I used GPART NTFS Format disc to wipe the drive moved right onto installing XP from disc but cant get past "no bootable device--strike F1 to retry etc".
1. Have tried enable/disable drives to start from (I have an internal and external cd drive) but cant get disc to load.
2. Ive read through 50% of the threads here to no avail.
3. Ive done the CTL+F11 idea/nothing.
4. Ive run the F5 diagnostic and everything passes.
5. My HDD is being seen as is my DVD-ROM.
6. My disc is the original factory disc.
7. Dell D620 Laptop
8. Went into maintenance and put general system back to default/saved/right back to no bootable devices. Went back and changed boot order again leaving only cd drive viable.
9. Ran F5 again. "Pre-boot assessment complete. No diagnostic utility partition identified. Please select ok to reboot your system "
10.Clean and checked disc. Reads in other drives.

:o PLEASE give me other ideas to get back on track. Ill go read the other 50% of these posts. Hopefully someone out there can offer a solution that will work.
Thanks in advance!

Any thoughts?

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
Re: No Bootable Device Dell D620
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 01:46:51 PM »
F8 on startup > System Recovery options > Dell Factory Image Restore.
that may work.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 01:53:52 PM »
Nope wont let F8 load. Im going to try it again, it cant hurt at this point.
S.O.B!!!! What is going on here?!?! Im emailing the GPART folks. Maybe they will have some idea. If anyone thinks of anything I will do whatever it takes to get you the info you need.

UPDATE! It WILL let me start the GPART disc. Woo Hoo! Now if I can just figure out where to go from here.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 02:20:29 PM by ohcheap1 »

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 07:01:40 PM »
How much RAM is in the system?  XP won't install with more than 2GB (2GB is fine, more is not) unless you have an XP Install Disk with SP1 slipstreamed (integrated) in it.

That said, after wiping the drive, did you create a new NFTS partition or just leave it unformatted?
--dweez

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 07:51:31 PM »
That said, after wiping the drive, did you create a new NFTS partition or just leave it unformatted?

THAT was the problem. I was able to get the GPART disc to load and after an hour of f$*^ing around I finally figured it out. Not one person on the GPART site had a clue what was going on. I knew it had everything to do with what I did when running that software. I should of tried to get ahold of you sooner but I did finally figure out the issue. Everything is good to go. Thanks for adding the post Dweez.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 01:34:27 AM »
Just curious, why XP and not Win 7?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 02:51:07 AM »

I was recently given a couple of laptops (not that old) and promptly cleaned then up and installed Win 7 on both for the kids to use.  The problem was, a couple of drivers (sound on one and wifi (I think) on the other) were not available for Windows 7 and in the end I had to install XP on the pair of them instead.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 04:21:42 AM »
Were there Vista drivers available? They should work. A little late for that now though, I guess. Windows 7 is pretty good at finding the right drivers. Windows Updates sometimes finds the best drivers. I put Win 7 on 8 ~ 9 year old Dell desktops and everything but Aero worked fine.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 04:36:17 AM »
Were there Vista drivers available? They should work. A little late for that now though, I guess. Windows 7 is pretty good at finding the right drivers. Windows Updates sometimes finds the best drivers. I put Win 7 on 8 ~ 9 year old Dell desktops and everything but Aero worked fine.

Apparently not.  It was only a few weeks ago so I'll scout through my history but I wasn't alone with the driver issues for Win 7 and the particular machines I was working on.  There were scores of threads and posts over the internet about it and there were even sites knocking up custom drivers as all else had failed.  The Compaq E610c which was the older of the 2 machines and was the one with the audio issue, had no chance as Compaq weren't interested at all.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 05:14:09 AM »
Did you try the XP drivers in Compatibility Mode?

Using Program Compatibility Mode in Windows 7

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 08:44:11 AM »

Using Program Compatibility Mode in Windows 7

That and the Vista fix were the most commonly suggested fixes, but for me the Vista drivers didn't work (although there may have been a newer driver - I just couldn't be arsed to search for one) and I couldn't find anyone who'd replied to the XP compatibility fix and said it had worked.  As the comp was for my 6 year old daughter (who'd pleaded for Win 7 ( actually Win 8 ) because her brother had it) I just installed XP SP3 as it was reliable and nothing had to be jimmied in.

She only wanted to go to Bin Weevils anyhow.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 11:50:56 AM »
The drivers Windows 7 typically finds aren't necessarily the manufacturer's drivers, but rather, generic drivers that come with the Win install.  I typically use Driver Genius Pro to make sure I have all the latest manufacturer-approved drivers.  I could do it manually, but that's a pain in the as....er, neck.
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 12:15:44 AM »
nice little program that is dweez, use it myself,

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 08:37:43 AM »
i use SlimDrivers, works well, and its free https://www.slimwareutilities.com/slimdrivers.php

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 12:54:59 PM »
SlimDrivers looks ok but I just downloaded and installed it and ran a scan.  it said everything was up to date but then I ran a scan with Driver Genius Pro (v10) and it found several drivers needed updated (mostly related to the motherboard).  Also, I had to pay attention to the install (as everyone should anyway) as it wanted to install AVG, the AVG Toolbar, and set my browser home to AVG's site, by default.  For now, I'll stick with DGP.

I did bookmark the Slimware Utilities website though as they seem to have some pretty handy looking utilities.
--dweez

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 02:50:26 PM »
Often those driver finder programs cause more problems than they fix.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 02:55:32 PM »
I'm aware of that, but I've been using Driver Genius Pro for years without issue.  Of course, I paid for a license though.  The more I think about the SlimDrivers one, the more it looks like one of those apps that are all flashy but underneath is flooding you with malware.
--dweez

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 03:18:46 PM »
I have a really old graphic editing program that I truly love. Just force of habit, I wanted to be able to continue using it.

I did look but it doesnt exist. Even the manufacturer of the software said there wasnt one. I could buy a brand new copy or continue to use the old. I would of paid for an upgrade but they wouldnt sell that. Only a full new copy and what is my user name? Not gonna do it.

THAT was the problem. I was able to get the GPART disc to load and after an hour of f$*^ing around I finally figured it out. Not one person on the GPART site had a clue what was going on. I knew it had everything to do with what I did when running that software. I should of tried to get ahold of you sooner but I did finally figure out the issue. Everything is good to go. Thanks for adding the post Dweez.
Just in case anyone missed it, this was the problem. Just needed to partition the drive again/correctly. THAT software too was ancient! The designer still sells the product and even he didnt know what to recommend to me.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 07:31:15 AM »
couldnt you just install xp in virtual box