General Category > General Discussion

Reader's Nook

<< < (2/71) > >>

xtopave:

--- Quote from: tarascon on January 17, 2013, 08:18:28 PM ---Btw, did you read Zafon in the original? I did not.  :)

--- End quote ---

Spanish is my native language so yes, I did.  :)

tarascon:
^ German is my first tongue but followed very closely by English (I came to the New World when I was 2). I've only read one book (Confessions of Felix Krull by Mann) in my "native" language... Which segues into my next recommendation.
How German Is it? by Walter Abish.

bubu:
A portuguese author I really like is Josè Saramago, i read his books in Italian (portuguese is too difficult) which is my language,his atheist point of view made his life difficult in the catholic Portugal, he exiled himself in Lanzarote (Spain) after his governement in 1992, ordered the removal of The Gospel According to Jesus Christ from the European Literary Prize's shortlist, claiming the work was religiously offensive. He died there in 2010.
The latest I read and bought is Cain (Caim),which is the final novel by  the Nobel Prize-winning author,  it was first published in 2009.
The novel is told through the eyes of Cain as he witnesses passages from the Bible that add to his increasing hatred of God.

tarascon:
I've read most of Saramago's stuff except Cain. Actually, I haven't heard of it... so thanks for the lead. To date my favorite of his: The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis.

On January 25th I'm taking a train from Los Angeles to Detroit. I bought these books today for the trip:

1. The Road to Jerusalem by Jan Guillou
2. The Good Son by Michael Gruber
3. The Long Ships by Frans Bengtsson
4. Gods Without Men by Hari Kunzru

Autumn:
tarascon gave me this idea... I wanna know what you're reading! I wanna know what it's about, what you like or don't like about it and if I should read it.

Currently reading Lauren Fox. Still Life with Husband. She's a local author that comes into my bakery. She is very sweet! Anyway the book is about a woman that encounters a sort of stale phase in her marriage and pursues another man. I love the parts about my city, but I hate reading what I feel like might be becoming of me if I'm not careful.
You should absolutely read it if you're into scandal, Milwaukee or crappy marriages.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version