Author Topic: .mkv and .avi file problems  (Read 12500 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
.mkv and .avi file problems
« on: March 09, 2013, 06:45:41 AM »
I have some video files of television programs in several formats:  .xvid .avi and .mkv

The first two readily load into Toast Titanium in order to burn to a dvd for replay on a stand alone dvd player (it's about 10 years old, but this works well with our ancient tv). 

Lately I've obtained some .mkv files that seem to have problems.  They launch quicktime the screen goes black and either nothing happens (I get a blank, black screen with video controls imposed on it but no sound or audio) or I get the same blank black screen with only one: video or audio.  While the occasional .mkv file loads and burns fine, lately, most of them have the problem just described.  The .mkv files have better resolution, although they are often very large. 

Does anyone have an opinion about what to do about this (short of buying some new hardware that I can't afford at present)?  Thanks in advance.

p.s. I'm on a mac running Mountain Lion,  using Toast 10.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:47:26 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
Re: .mkv and .avi file problems
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 09:49:17 AM »
All I know is that .mkv, like .avi, is just a container and the contained video file could be an any number of encoding formats.
--dweez

Offline Discover99

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 01:53:03 PM »
maybe handbreak can help to record the files to a file that you'd be able to burn later on?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 02:54:01 PM »
I have heard that Xilisoft dvd creator for mac is as good as ConvertX is for PCs.  You could try that as I swear by ConvertX, especially the latest versions, as I can get 6hrs of video (any format) at 1500kbps onto a single disc which will play flawlessly.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 07:38:56 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, as I have only previously used avidemux for editing problems.  Toast usually just converts to the degree necessary and I've simply loaded whatever I found on there and burned it.  The ability to compress what I've got on the HD would be great as I have a bunch of movies that are too large to fit onto a dvd and this would make those accessible finally.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:06:24 PM »
Heres my advice. NEVER USE OR DLD ANYTHING IN MKV!!!! It makes NO sense and serves no purpose. It has no advantage what so ever! Sorry, pretty passionate about this plight.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 05:19:30 AM »
The MKV container has very few limits for the type of video formats in contains, and virtually none for audio - including lossless.

There are a few other benefits that few of us will ever appreciate, but again, it is essentially an open-source project and that can only be good for the end user.. in the end.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 05:38:00 AM »
I do not understand the container formats very well, but most .avi files are much smaller.  Is there a reason for that?  If .avi and Matroska are simply containers, why do the contents usually vary so much even for the same television programs.  a typical one hour show can be 300-500 Mb in .avi but the same show in Matroska is usually three times the size, anywhere from 1.5 to 2 GB.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 06:26:30 AM »
I do not understand the container formats very well, but most .avi files are much smaller.  Is there a reason for that?  If .avi and Matroska are simply containers, why do the contents usually vary so much even for the same television programs.  a typical one hour show can be 300-500 Mb in .avi but the same show in Matroska is usually three times the size, anywhere from 1.5 to 2 GB.

I find the opposite.  A 42min show is usually about 350mb if it's an AVI in either DivX or Xvid, whereby the same resolution file is about 235mb using matroska.  That's probably because it will contain an MP4 and ogg audio.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 09:30:34 AM »
I use the following to transfer to dvd when i must.
Also so easy to add subtitles to ( if you have them.)
http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/
Watch when you install ( if you do) as it gives the option to add tool bars and such.
once installed then its great   :D

I normally find Blue Ray rips are MKV, excellent quality.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 05:03:30 AM »
Sadly, this is not yet available for Mac.

That leads me to this question:
lately, I've been having many disc writing failures.  I load files (both avi and mkv) into Toast to burn to disc.  Toast encodes them, then I get an error message that the disc has failed to be written.  This is happening with increasing frequency.

Does this sound like a software problem or do you think it's possible that my dvd writer/burner is failing?  The iMac is almost 3 years old and running out of warranty soon.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 07:28:35 AM »
O a mac, never mind  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Have to pass then sorry.unless you run windows in virtual machine for mac ??

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 03:27:06 AM »
Does this sound like a software problem or do you think it's possible that my dvd writer/burner is failing? 
Can you burn files, like pictures, as data? If so your burner may be OK.

DVDs are a PITA. A media player is the way to go this century. Play any format, any size file, no converting, burning or buying discs.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 08:02:08 AM »
Every disc I burn fails to be written (just got another failure).  The discs appear to have the contents, but won't open or play normally on the dvd player.

It's been more than a week since I've managed a successful burn.  This seems hardware driven.  I'm calling for an appt with the genius bar today.  I doubt it's the media, since I've gone through nearly a hundred of these discs (Memorex dvd-r pack) without any problem before this.  This iMac has been in twice before.  I'm hoping at least they'll replace the cd-rom drive.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 12:02:19 PM »
Give the burner the once over with some compressed air and see if that helps.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 12:46:29 PM »
I used to do a lot of renting movies and ripping them using a program called DVD2SVCD.  After doing this with several dozen disc, the DVD drive stopped reading any movie DVDs.  I tracked it down to the time to something I vaguely recall now (something about a limitation on Windows 2000 having to do with "secrets" or something like that...a registry key) but eventually found easier ways to get movies so never worried about it.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
Tricky to do with a slot-loader.

... and yes, if it isn't intermittent, it is almost certainly the drive.

Where there's a will there's a...relative.

The compressed air I buy has the straw thingmabob that'll eke out even the most evasive dust bunnies.

Offline Discover99

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 01:22:29 PM »
i think taking it to the genius bar before your warranty expires is a good suggestion

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 04:24:01 PM »
The burner is housed within the body of the iMac (a slot drive).  I've scheduled an appointment to get it repaired at the Apple Store on Friday after talking to a tech and coming to the mutual conclusion that it's a hardware problem.  I think the writer is failing due to age/use.

It takes an inordinately long time to burn anything and it regularly fails to write dvds as it should, so I think it's toast.  The warranty expires in Sept.  Might as well get it replaced.  But dweez, you're right, this constant need to burn to disc avi and mkv files just so I can watch them in the living room instead of sitting in front of the computer is getting old.  If I had a newer tv I'd just spring for a dedicated hd and play the files from that instead.

Offline Mauve

• Australopithecus
  • I was JohnisaFatman what's it to ya
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 01:35:26 PM »
Download VLC Media Player, I watch lots of MKV's in that, almost everything I watch is MKV actually...~ but it's really nice and easy to use... That is, to watch your movies/television programs on your computer. I think VLC is compatible with apple computers as well.
O cursed spite that ever I was born to set it right!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 05:14:27 PM »
VLC doesn't work on the standalone player that we use in the living room.  I can watch most mkv files in Quicktime, but sitting upright on uncomfortable chairs to watch a tv show on my computer is far from ideal in the evenings when we're tired.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:17:46 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 08:22:45 PM »
I will say this yet again............
MKV SERVES NO PURPOSE WHATSOEVER AND SHOULD BE OBLITERATED FROM THE EARTH.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 09:06:21 PM »
My bad. I case you didnt know I hate this file extension and would like to find the person who THOUGHT they were being productive and smack them about the head.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 09:57:24 PM »
VLC doesn't work on the standalone player that we use in the living room.  I can watch most mkv files in Quicktime, but sitting upright on uncomfortable chairs to watch a tv show on my computer is far from ideal in the evenings when we're tired.
My Cyclone primus plays about everything
http://www.envizage.com/products/2000p-cyclone-primus-2000gb-hdmi-mkv-media-player-hard-drive.html

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 10:08:30 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  When I'm able to upgrade my current technology,
I'll keep this in mind!  :)

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 09:57:31 PM »
Yeah, for ~$100.00 a media player solves all DVD problems. No buying/burning discs, doesn't care how big the file is or what format it is (most media players). I have this one with a 1.5 TB external hard drive connected to it and now only burn discs for others. I can stream a new movie to the hard drive, over my network, while my gal is watching a movie. No more converting to DVD, you can match the aspect ratio to your TV, turn off subtitles...

Play virtual any file from a USB, Network drive and more
    Stream premium content like YouTube, Netflix, Pandora and more
    Full-HD 1080p, HDMI, composite video output
    Easy to set up

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 12:08:53 AM »
I have a Roku player in the closet that I was given with a Netflix subscription but that I no longer use.  I wonder if it can be enlisted to that end?

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 08:21:46 AM »
I have my one-off computer (the computer I built to game on before this computer) attached to my TV.
--dweez

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 09:23:45 AM »
I have a Roku player in the closet that I was given with a Netflix subscription but that I no longer use.  I wonder if it can be enlisted to that end?
Does it look like this one? Does it have a USB port? If not you can still stream it from your computer.

How to Stream Movies from Mac to Roku

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2013, 09:41:37 AM »
It looks like that, but no usb port.  It has ethernet input, hdmi (useless to me because I have an old tv)  Basically exactly like the ones in your link.

It came as part of a Netflix gift package, so I could stream Netflix onto my tv.  That worked.  What I would like to figure out is if I can use my existing wireless internet to stream content from my harddrive to the player so I can hook it into the tv.  Any ideas if this might be possible and how?

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2013, 10:10:52 AM »
Not sure but you may need Chaneru... http://www.chaneru.com/

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2013, 11:39:59 AM »
Thanks, brickbatz.  That looks promising!

Offline CADguru

• Australopithecus
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2013, 04:15:38 PM »
Hi 6pairs!
I don't really have suggestions on how you can solve the situation but I'll try to add a bit to the explanation about containers.
Imagine .mkv, .avi (etc) as boxes. Let's say mkv is a blue box and avi is a red box. From outside they look pretty much the same, just different colors. It's what's inside that matters. Both can support various types of video and audio codecs.
Why you see differences in sizes? It depends on what you download. For example, the norm for TV shows releases is:
a) for SD (Standard Definition) releases using the xvid video codec the preferred container is avi.
b) for SD releases using the h.264 video codec the preferred container is mp4. The specific codec leads to a smaller filesize for the same quality or a better quality for the same filesize, compared to xvid in avis.
c) for 720p (HD-High Definition) releases using the h.264 codec the preferred container is mkv. Such releases usually are about 3 times the filesize of SD mp4 releases but come with a very improved image (compared).

To complicate things, even a specific codec can have numerous adjustments. H.264 can be set in one of various profiles (baseline, main, high etc) or it can be set in one of various levels (3, 4, 4.1 etc). What problem might arise from that? You might download something the software/hardware you have cannot handle! It may have the mkv extension like the previous you downloaded and played just fine but that doesn't mean it has the same requirements for handling it. I don't say it's related to your problem but in general it's better to stick with specific sources from where you get stuff. The site/the uploader/the description of file. One very useful tool to look what's inside a container is MediaInfo. But to check a file you have to download it first.  :o

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2013, 04:24:40 PM »
Thank you CADguru for such an informative reply.  I see your guruness does not stop at CAD.

Offline CADguru

• Australopithecus
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2013, 04:55:26 PM »
Thank you. You know knowledge is collective (or something). For example, a part of my post is things I learned from a user in Demonoid but I can't recall his name.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2013, 06:08:33 PM »
a part of my post is things I learned from a user in Demonoid but I can't recall his name.

That user certainly wasn't xtopave.  ;D

Welcome to Diasfora, CADguru!

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2013, 06:20:36 PM »
Was is the Major? Wasn't he a bit of a guru too?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2013, 10:28:11 PM »
Thanks, CADguru.  I have a general understanding of the principles of the compression/decompression variances in the different formats, but it's really arbitrary whether an mkv file will load and burn properly in Toast Titanium for the purposes of creating a dvd that will play in my standalone player.  Sometimes they work fine.  Sometimes the mkv files eat an entire dvd with little room for any other files, and sometimes they burn without audio.  I can't explain this, except to suggest that it may depend on the manner in which they were coded in the first place.

Clearly the problem would be solved if I could avoid that intermediate step, which is why I was wondering about the Roku player in my closet.  I haven't used it for a while, but when I did it was purely for streaming Netflix content.  It may be the case that the software running the thing is locked exclusively into performing only that service and that it cannot be adapted for streaming those avi or mkv files directly to the TV. 

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2013, 11:46:37 PM »
6, did you look into Chaneru? http://www.chaneru.com/

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2013, 12:07:13 AM »
Yes.  It seems geared towards iTunes content.  Most of the files I have are not in that format. So I went to a Roku forum that I found in searching for Chaneru and it seems possible that the old Roku player I have, which was geared to streaming Netflix, may not be adaptable.  I wish I knew more about how to manipulate software.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2013, 12:49:45 AM »
I know money's tight and times are hard but if/when my WD TV Live Media Player breaks I'll do without something to replace it. We (mostly she) watch a lot of movies. I have ~400 movies on my hard drives and it is used almost daily. If I converted those movies to DVD, bought 400 blank discs and burned them it would have cost ~$400.00 and I'd have to store/index them.

Yeah, I'm trying to spend $100.00 of "disposable income" that may not be there.  ::)

Offline CADguru

• Australopithecus
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2013, 09:47:10 AM »
Was is the Major? Wasn't he a bit of a guru too?

Bullseye!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2013, 10:23:58 AM »
brickbatz, I don't know where you are, but it sounds like blank dvds cost 4x what they do here.  I can get a stack of 100 on sale for $25 U.S.

We have Netflix so we get a disc a week from them and the public library has an extensive dvd collection of tv shows and movies.  Between them, I only burn stuff I can't get here via normal channels, mostly British tv shows and documentaries. 

Still, it would be nice to not have to burn everything we want to watch from those categories.

Offline CADguru

• Australopithecus
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2013, 11:32:39 AM »
Does your TV have component or composite input(s)? If yes then maybe you should get something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260038
and forget all the trouble with burning discs. You say 100 discs = $25. After 200 movies, the device will save you $50. That covers its price. And it seems to support most formats/containers/codecs/whatever.
What's the catch? The brand is KWorld ...

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2013, 11:37:06 AM »
Yeah, I was way off on that. It's been a while since I bought any. The Verbatim 4.7GB 16X DVD+R 100 Packs Spindle Disc is $26.99 at Newegg. My ~400 movies wouldn't all fit on 4.7GB discs. Verbatim 25GB 6X BD-R 25 Packs cost $29.99. I think many of your .mkv files would be over 4.7GB. 

BTW, I'm in Florida.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2013, 12:37:39 PM »
I've got a monster Sony Wega that someone gave me off of Craigslist.  It's heavy as hell, but it's got a decent picture and sound.  We have it hooked up to a digital converter box that has three video plugs, one video two audio I believe.  (red yellow white).  That's all I have to hook it up to anything.  I suspect it's about 10 years old.

Offline CADguru

• Australopithecus
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2013, 01:05:15 PM »
... has three video plugs, one video two audio I believe.  (red yellow white).  ...

That's composite. Supposedly, the device I suggested should work. Well, you need a usb external HDD or a big enough SD (Secure Digital) card to store movies/shows as the device does not have its own memory. For SD, your Mac must have a card reader.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2013, 01:33:11 PM »
I don't think the KWorld Media Player has WIFI capabilities.  :P  And there were more than a couple bad reviews at Newegg.

What's the catch? The brand is KWorld ...

I love my WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Wi-Fi 1080p.

Offline CADguru

• Australopithecus
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2013, 11:16:11 AM »
Yes, with wifi 6pairs can make two steps forward from the "dinosaur" era of burning discs. It requires more $$ though.

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2013, 05:27:53 AM »
Maybe this is too late, but can the MKV file be made into an MP4 file?

I'm not all that familiar with Mac OS, but I'm assuming anything running on a Mac would be able to handle an MP4 file.  You mentioned Avidemux, try using it to copy the audio and video streams into an MP4 container.

It may not work, MP4 cannot handle all the formats MKV can (and I think there are a couple that MP4 handles that MKV can't).  You may lose any extra audio or subtitles that exist in the MKV file, because Avidemux seems to only handle a maximum of two audio streams :-\.  In Windows, I like using Yamb.

Can you get FFmpeg on a Mac?  It may need a command line, but it always seems to work for me.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!