Author Topic: .mkv and .avi file problems  (Read 13921 times)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
Re: .mkv and .avi file problems
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 12:46:29 PM »
I used to do a lot of renting movies and ripping them using a program called DVD2SVCD.  After doing this with several dozen disc, the DVD drive stopped reading any movie DVDs.  I tracked it down to the time to something I vaguely recall now (something about a limitation on Windows 2000 having to do with "secrets" or something like that...a registry key) but eventually found easier ways to get movies so never worried about it.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
Tricky to do with a slot-loader.

... and yes, if it isn't intermittent, it is almost certainly the drive.

Where there's a will there's a...relative.

The compressed air I buy has the straw thingmabob that'll eke out even the most evasive dust bunnies.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Discover99

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 01:22:29 PM »
i think taking it to the genius bar before your warranty expires is a good suggestion

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 04:24:01 PM »
The burner is housed within the body of the iMac (a slot drive).  I've scheduled an appointment to get it repaired at the Apple Store on Friday after talking to a tech and coming to the mutual conclusion that it's a hardware problem.  I think the writer is failing due to age/use.

It takes an inordinately long time to burn anything and it regularly fails to write dvds as it should, so I think it's toast.  The warranty expires in Sept.  Might as well get it replaced.  But dweez, you're right, this constant need to burn to disc avi and mkv files just so I can watch them in the living room instead of sitting in front of the computer is getting old.  If I had a newer tv I'd just spring for a dedicated hd and play the files from that instead.

Offline Mauve

• Australopithecus
  • I was JohnisaFatman what's it to ya
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 01:35:26 PM »
Download VLC Media Player, I watch lots of MKV's in that, almost everything I watch is MKV actually...~ but it's really nice and easy to use... That is, to watch your movies/television programs on your computer. I think VLC is compatible with apple computers as well.
O cursed spite that ever I was born to set it right!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 05:14:27 PM »
VLC doesn't work on the standalone player that we use in the living room.  I can watch most mkv files in Quicktime, but sitting upright on uncomfortable chairs to watch a tv show on my computer is far from ideal in the evenings when we're tired.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:17:46 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 08:22:45 PM »
I will say this yet again............
MKV SERVES NO PURPOSE WHATSOEVER AND SHOULD BE OBLITERATED FROM THE EARTH.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 09:06:21 PM »
My bad. I case you didnt know I hate this file extension and would like to find the person who THOUGHT they were being productive and smack them about the head.

Online goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 09:57:24 PM »
VLC doesn't work on the standalone player that we use in the living room.  I can watch most mkv files in Quicktime, but sitting upright on uncomfortable chairs to watch a tv show on my computer is far from ideal in the evenings when we're tired.
My Cyclone primus plays about everything
http://www.envizage.com/products/2000p-cyclone-primus-2000gb-hdmi-mkv-media-player-hard-drive.html

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 10:08:30 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  When I'm able to upgrade my current technology,
I'll keep this in mind!  :)

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 09:57:31 PM »
Yeah, for ~$100.00 a media player solves all DVD problems. No buying/burning discs, doesn't care how big the file is or what format it is (most media players). I have this one with a 1.5 TB external hard drive connected to it and now only burn discs for others. I can stream a new movie to the hard drive, over my network, while my gal is watching a movie. No more converting to DVD, you can match the aspect ratio to your TV, turn off subtitles...

Play virtual any file from a USB, Network drive and more
    Stream premium content like YouTube, Netflix, Pandora and more
    Full-HD 1080p, HDMI, composite video output
    Easy to set up

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 12:08:53 AM »
I have a Roku player in the closet that I was given with a Netflix subscription but that I no longer use.  I wonder if it can be enlisted to that end?

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 08:21:46 AM »
I have my one-off computer (the computer I built to game on before this computer) attached to my TV.
--dweez

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 09:23:45 AM »
I have a Roku player in the closet that I was given with a Netflix subscription but that I no longer use.  I wonder if it can be enlisted to that end?
Does it look like this one? Does it have a USB port? If not you can still stream it from your computer.

How to Stream Movies from Mac to Roku

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2013, 09:41:37 AM »
It looks like that, but no usb port.  It has ethernet input, hdmi (useless to me because I have an old tv)  Basically exactly like the ones in your link.

It came as part of a Netflix gift package, so I could stream Netflix onto my tv.  That worked.  What I would like to figure out is if I can use my existing wireless internet to stream content from my harddrive to the player so I can hook it into the tv.  Any ideas if this might be possible and how?