Author Topic: .mkv and .avi file problems  (Read 13967 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: .mkv and .avi file problems
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2013, 12:37:39 PM »
I've got a monster Sony Wega that someone gave me off of Craigslist.  It's heavy as hell, but it's got a decent picture and sound.  We have it hooked up to a digital converter box that has three video plugs, one video two audio I believe.  (red yellow white).  That's all I have to hook it up to anything.  I suspect it's about 10 years old.

Offline CADguru

• Australopithecus
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2013, 01:05:15 PM »
... has three video plugs, one video two audio I believe.  (red yellow white).  ...

That's composite. Supposedly, the device I suggested should work. Well, you need a usb external HDD or a big enough SD (Secure Digital) card to store movies/shows as the device does not have its own memory. For SD, your Mac must have a card reader.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2013, 01:33:11 PM »
I don't think the KWorld Media Player has WIFI capabilities.  :P  And there were more than a couple bad reviews at Newegg.

What's the catch? The brand is KWorld ...

I love my WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Wi-Fi 1080p.

Offline CADguru

• Australopithecus
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2013, 11:16:11 AM »
Yes, with wifi 6pairs can make two steps forward from the "dinosaur" era of burning discs. It requires more $$ though.

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2013, 05:27:53 AM »
Maybe this is too late, but can the MKV file be made into an MP4 file?

I'm not all that familiar with Mac OS, but I'm assuming anything running on a Mac would be able to handle an MP4 file.  You mentioned Avidemux, try using it to copy the audio and video streams into an MP4 container.

It may not work, MP4 cannot handle all the formats MKV can (and I think there are a couple that MP4 handles that MKV can't).  You may lose any extra audio or subtitles that exist in the MKV file, because Avidemux seems to only handle a maximum of two audio streams :-\.  In Windows, I like using Yamb.

Can you get FFmpeg on a Mac?  It may need a command line, but it always seems to work for me.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!