Author Topic: Odd Experiences.  (Read 11479 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Odd Experiences.
« on: April 30, 2013, 11:29:02 PM »
Over on Reddit, they're doing a thread on "paranormal experiences", but I don't put much stock into paranormal anything. Sleep paralysis, seeing poo when you're tired, just the fact that is dark out have to factor into this poo.

But I love hearing the stories.

Personally, I only have one unexplained "what the golly" moment. This was around grade school for me, when we were renting a house. The house had a sloped roof, made of wood, and my bedroom was a loft. It had a window that went out to a flat secondary roof, where a bedroom and bathroom were located. Odd little house.

Occasionally we'd hear cats running over it, which was pretty bless'ed terrifying in and of itself, with the scritch scritch scritching as they ran, but one night when we came home from our favorite burrito place, and before we'd even got in the front door, we heard a loud BANG on the roof. My mom slammed the front door and threw the deadbolt. THUMP THUMP THUMP, it sounded like a person was on the roof, but it was moving much too fast. then it stopped.

And I still have no idea what that was.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Odd Experiences.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 02:50:03 AM »
About 15 years ago I was in Prague with a few friends just on a long weekend.  It was in the fairly early days of digital cameras and I actually had (and still have) a Mavica that wrote to a floppy disk.

I took quite a few photo of my pals, especially around Wenceslas Square and on reviewing them, one in particular was very odd.  It seemed to have a figure of a man in a hat standing directly behind my friend, Paul, who was kind of doing a silly pose.  The blurry image of the person behind him seemed to be imitating the pose but not exactly.

We were with 2 girls so we tried to make out that it was something supernatural when all the while I believed it to be some kind of digital glitch, even though it stuck in my mind as the ghostly image seemed to be wearing a hat and it wasn't quite mimicking Paul's pose which was odd (it couldn't have done that if it had been sort of a motion delay fault).

Sometime later, by chance I read an article about Prague and it had said that it is rumoured to be one of the most haunted cities in the world.  It even has tours called "Ghost walks". A lot of these are actually centred around Wenceslas Square.  I am a strict "non-believer" but this was definitely odd and for years I have tried to find that image without avail.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 04:17:11 PM »
as to the glitch possibility, it could have recycled the bits. Would love to see it though.

In Underworld, the vampire coven was in Prague.

We have opossums here in Imperial beach, looking back it could have been a VERY fat possum that landed on my roof, but we didn't have any trees nearby.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 04:39:37 PM »
.... Would love to see it though.

I swear I bounced all the images to a HDD back then and I am what you'd call a digital hoarder.  But I have searched every drive I have I cannot find any of the Prague pics, which leads me to believe they were lost when some drive or other got fried.

It has happened once or twice.

I could run a recovery program on all my floppies, but I don't think I have that many years left on the planet.  I might though as I really want that shot.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 06:10:45 PM »
My town has wild parrots. Now I know what you're thinking, you're thinking I'm full of poo.

Nope.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 02:24:45 AM »
Wow. In some of the UK we have wild parrots and such  (unwanted pets).
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10027109/Wallaby-spotted-bounding-along-UK-country-lanes.html

A little north for a Wallaby but here we have one

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 04:24:01 AM »
Up the road from me in Tooting (where my missus hails from) there and many exotic parrots though they are obviously not indigenous.  In fact last week at the BBQ that was in New Malden, there were also many parrots flying about.  It seems they are now everywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_parrots

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Re: Parrot Talk
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 06:52:52 AM »
Years ago my town was beset by flocks of green parrots that were not indigenous. They were Mexican or S. American birds that someone had smuggled up here (to breed and sell?) and who must have been turned loose or escaped. For about a year, the city was treated to the view of an amorphous green cloud veering back and forth. Chaos theory in action... It was a lovely sight while it lasted but, unfortunately, the climate here (even in SoCal) was too cold for these creatures during what passes for our winter season and they all eventually perished.
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 09:44:11 AM »
That's sad and strange given those birds are really smart and adaptable.  The New Yorker had an article several years ago about escaped parrots who had managed to adapt to life in Brooklyn as they sought heat sources like electrical transformers and heat exhaust vents over the winters. 

I would expect that they could migrate south, too, given they were Mexican parrots. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 07:46:37 PM »
I'm pretty much in walking distance to Mexico. If I go to smart and final I have to turn my phone off so verizon doesn't golly me. They reverse the charge on the next bill, but it's still something like $30 in the short term. I despise "auto-pay"

The local legend is bird sanctuary burned down and the FD released the birds rather than let them all cook. They are green parrots, and I think they're awesome.

Local legend being word of mouth, without citation.

My old town (Encinitas) was apparently a locus of "Black eye kids". There was a particular street called saxony that was by the old poinsettia growing grounds. Creepy old ripped up greenhouses. Plastic flapping in the breeze. No streetlights, so yeah, you avoided the place on foot.

Now it's a bunch of condos. Very well lit.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 09:31:21 PM »
That must be strange, being so close to the boundary.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 01:34:18 AM »
There is a lot more Spanish signage than I was used to, but it makes sense.

Have to be careful on the 805 so I don't go to the border :P

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 08:29:19 AM »
I'm rooted in logic.  Always have been.  Never bought into the idea of spirits, but my Grandma brought me up to be a good catholic, so when I said goodbye to her before moving to Queensland, I told her to visit me in my dreams when she died, as she believed in life after death (heaven).

So about 8 months later I was asleep, dreaming I was at a party with all these people there I didn't really know.  It was a strange party and I felt very unsettled being there.  As I stood there looking around I saw my cousin walking towards me with some people I didn't recognise, but I new he was dead.  I started bawling in grief as he and were very close when we were growing-up.  As he got closers he saw that I was terribly upset, so he said "It's okay Mark, it's not Grant it's me..." and started to pull a mask off.
That was it, I knew I was dreaming and I woke myself up and sat bolt upright crying like a baby.  My girlfriend freaked and asked me what was wrong so I told her my dream.  She comforted me and reassured me that it was a dream and that my cousin is not likely to be dead and I went back to sleep.

In the morning I was woken up by the phone ringing, it was my mum.  First thing I said said to her was "Who's dead?"  She told me Grandma had passed earlier that morning.  I asked what time, and she told me around 3am, which was the same time I had my dream.  I realised that it was Grandma behind the mask I refused to see removed completely

Now, if I had been told Grandma had died then had the dream, logic would tell me that I dreamt Grandma was visiting me because I told her to and my subconscious was putting that into my dream, but I didn't know that.

It still freaks me out to tell that story, and when I do, I get dicks telling me they can explain it using science (even though the science of dreams is still very thin).

I trust in science and know it can explain most strange phenomena, but there is still things that are 'best guess'.  Got me the latest issue of New Scientist and the cover has three questions: "Consciousness.  What is it?  Why do we have it?  What else has it?"
I need to find the time to read the magazine now as it is something that has perplexed me ever since I can remember.

(there you go)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »
I expect while that experience is rather haunting, it must also be a little comforting as well.

I have had a similar thing happen when I woke one night fretting about a very dear friend of mine in St Lucia.  When it happened I knew he was dead and for a couple of years I avoided phoning anyone there, even just to catch up.  When I finally did and hesitantly asked about Jesse, the reply was paused and eventually the dreaded "I'm terribly sorry to have to tell you..." line was uttered.

The guy was ill (not at deaths door though) and I have always considered it a possible coincidence as his health was always in the back of my mind.  But that night I woke up scared was different, so much so that I noted the date and told my girlfriend what I thought had happened.

The further in the past the event gets, the more I favour the coincidence theory. Odd, nonetheless.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 12:07:54 PM »

Lost new glasses (yes, I did it again), broke an irreplaceable art-deco lamp (clients), snapped and indicator off the bike putting on my panniers, and finally got home to find I had another nail in my rear tyre which then promptly deflated.

All that happened on the 13th.

This thread should really reside in GD in my opinion.  Can I move it, 8ully?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 02:51:35 AM »
Watch out: you will find yourself moderating if you aren't careful!

8ully was only ever happy in chaos.

Yes, I know, but what about here on the boards?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 05:47:18 AM »
Move this thread wherever you want to. I just posted here because my brain is a pinball of spinning madness.

I posted a lot of poo in this post and then I snipped it. About dreams, and death, and the intersection of them.

But I'm drunk and the words might be stupid. I need a mod on that post :P

sent via PM smokes. Any editing advice would be welcome.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 08:07:49 AM »
Post whatever you like 8ully.  It's down to the individual members to either censor or ignore what they don't like.

Personally, I find virtually all that you write to be entertaining and worst, and enlightening at best. Your threads certainly enrich this place and only seldom self-destruct.

Offline patiesmiz

• Australopithecus
  • Dominatrix
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 10:36:30 AM »
I had only one in my life.

I was around 14 years old or so, I was semi-slept, then I heard the doorbell ringing, I woke up and I 'saw' in my mind who was ringing, I saw two people perfectly: my Dad's pupil Pedro and another guy, a tall, long haired guy with a beard, someone I didn't know, I hadn't seen that guy before.

I had no time to tell my Dad what happened before he opened the door, when he did it and I saw the two guys I got shocked.

They were the ones I 'saw' in my mind, both where two of my Dad's pupils. It coud be just a coincidence, but the weird thing is that I hadn't ever seen the long haired guy before.

The strangest thing in my life.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 04:03:31 PM »
I had only one in my life.

I was around 14 years old or so, I was semi-slept, then I heard the doorbell ringing, I woke up and I 'saw' in my mind who was ringing, I saw two people perfectly: my Dad's pupil Pedro and another guy, a tall, long haired guy with a beard, someone I didn't know, I hadn't seen that guy before.

I had no time to tell my Dad what happened before he opened the door, when he did it and I saw the two guys I got shocked.

They were the ones I 'saw' in my mind, both where two of my Dad's pupils. It coud be just a coincidence, but the weird thing is that I hadn't ever seen the long haired guy before.

The strangest thing in my life.

Euromillions numbers by any chance?  Tuesday's or Friday's, I'm not fussy.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 06:27:08 PM »
deja vu is the brain misfiring. You remember it that way because your brain skipped some thoughts and played filler a few seconds later.

I used to think I had dreams about poo I would do the next day. I still find it happening occasionally when a conversation goes a certain way, or my foot hurts. The foot hurt is actually an easy one, it's caused by dehydration. :P

Lottery numbers would be way more helpful than my brain saying "And now you turn to the right slightly."

As to the PM I sent in the very early morning, I was drunk, and it went into a tangent about things that make me angry.

We have dreams of people we have lost because our brain is trying to provide comfort. Similar to the missed step thing above.

You miss the dead person, and the brain auto-fills.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:29:39 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 10:51:48 AM »
This was odd. I went to cut some romaine today for the piggies and there was a full size worm crawling in the lettuce. Like the kind you fish with!!! First, scared the poop out of me, I didnt expect that. Second, I fish, so you would of thought I could just pick it up and toss it. But I had to walk away for a few minutes.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 12:59:06 PM »
found a link to
https://about.me/
any one know or use this or similar

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 08:40:15 AM »
i have 2 specific ones, though i randomly get other ones. Deja vu? definitely. proof? sort of, i usually keep it to myself (though my mother once told me her, and her mother got them). had a dream one night of meeting a childhood friend i hadn't seen in 35 years, specifically around the corner after coming out of an downtown mall. i was downtown with a friend 3 days later, and yeah, coming out of the mall it hit me, i said to my friend, "we're going to go around this corner and meet Bart Walsh", he said he thought Bart had moved away 30 years ago. walked around the corner and approaching us from the other direction was Bart, my friends jaw nearly hit the sidewalk and i had to explain to him (after chatting with Bart) how i had dreamed it.
 second, even weirder one. at a buddies one Friday night about 30 years ago, he had a big party. living a piece away, i had already planned with him to sleep on the couch in his den instead of driving home impaired. about 3 am, party was over, my buddy was sitting in his livingroom loaded, still drinking with the stereo cranked when i told him i was going to the couch in the den to crash, i was loaded too. closed the door to the livingroom, went through the kitchen and down the hall to the den and closed that door, then promptly passed out on the couch. after approx an 1 1/2 hours i suddenly woke up, still loaded, and try as may couldn't get back to sleep, something in the back of my mind kept nagging at me. i finally got up and decided to check buddy, went back to the livingroom (den and livingroom doors were both still closed), walked in, stereo was still going, he was sitting in a chair passed out with a beer between his legs.......and the arm of the chair he was passed out in fire from his dropped cigarette. i grabbed the beer and poured it on the fire to slow it down, then ran to the kitchen and grabbed a pitcher of water, and put out the fire. couldn't smell smoke anywhere in the house, door was closed, and smoke detector in the hall hadn't gone off. he still talks about me saving his life sometimes, i tell him he has a good Guardian Angel  ;D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 04:53:58 PM »
That first story is definitely on the spooky side of things.  I'd like to think the latter was your subconscious just nagging away at you that your pal was not compos mentis and could, quite easily, do himself an injury.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 05:26:20 AM »
From what I've read, memory has a bit of plasticity, and that's how such events get glued in the brain, edited for convenience. Kind of like how everyone is the protagonist in their own story.

There is actually a very sad, and very real mental condition where people convince themselves that they are living an entire second life, and it is very real to them. Some scary side effects come into play when they break into other people's homes, and convince themselves that they know these people.

I've begun to wonder if that is what happens when celebrities lose their poo and break into houses.

Not so much an odd experience, as bless'ed creepy.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 11:34:48 PM »
Conversation between a friend and I tonight. WOW!!

OC1:I want you to imagine what you would think/feel if you heard a crashing sound, almost like a jumbo firecracker, outside your house at 12:30am and then you heard someone POUNDING on your front door and bay window saying "Hey!! Hey!!"??? Of course watching a double feature or horror today you know where my brain went until I screamed for the male figure of the household to "GET THE HELL DOWN HERE". Looks like a car crashed into a tree in our front yard and caught fire. I didnt notice cause I was hiding behind the coach but the husband saw the fire break out. Holy poo!!! Life happens when you clearly dont expect it.

Apparently a dude in matching caution orange sneakers and tshirt hit an electrical pole. The weird thing is the flaming car is an easy 7 yards from the base of the pole??? The pole was in our neighbors yard and our power is up and good. This is turning into quite the mystery.

FRIEND:Whoa!

OC1:No blood at all on the kid. Thats shocking because the car is trashed. SO glad hes not hurt. Clearly going to jail but not hurt.

FRIEND:There was a kid involved?

Oh! The kid who crashed...

OC1:Well...teenage driver. Maybe 19-23ish

FRIEND:I see. Was he drinking or something? What made him hit the pole?! This is crazy!

OC1:Since hes in handcuffs I doubt the police are going to let me talk to him. Lol. I was paranoid that the wood laying across the hood of his car smouldering came from one of our trees.

FRIEND:Lol wow! Sounds like quite the adventure!

OC1:MUCH more exciting when I thought a crazy madman was trying to break into my house and kill me but YEH!! Crazy adventure.

FRIEND:Lol

FRIEND:Can't say you had a boring night! Lol

OC1:Very true.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 10:01:16 AM by ohcheap1 »

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 07:21:51 AM »
^ :o

Any updates on why or how the accident happened?

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 11:11:16 AM »
Im guessing standard drunk driving into a phone light pole but thats not in written format. Sure got me going though. Yipes!!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 10:02:15 AM by ohcheap1 »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 12:59:44 AM »
story not available on the intranet, why he's charged and such.
After watching the mildest of horror movies i would be screaming running into the garden

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 10:04:38 AM »
I cant imagine it even made the local news but I didnt check. When no one dies it very rarely makes the news around here. Sad, I know. I remember your intimidation by horror. Lol!!

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 02:38:44 PM »
If it's on your property did you at least get a police report? Maybe try calling your local police non emergency number and asking WTF?

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2013, 09:24:46 PM »
gross and odd.

my dog had the urge to chase his tail and then a string of poop shoots out of his butt and lands on my foot. ugh.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 11:08:14 PM »
If it's on your property did you at least get a police report? Maybe try calling your local police non emergency number and asking WTF?

Well there were 15 policeman and about 20 fireman so I think if I need the documentation Ill be able to obtain it.

my dog had the urge to chase his tail and then a string of poop shoots out of his butt and lands on my foot. ugh.

AWESOME!!! Well, its gross, but you did a great job of bringing us into the scene. LOL

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2013, 03:27:45 AM »
Remind me to put down toast before reading this thread, or at least skip the Nutella.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2013, 10:47:29 AM »

Shitting in motion. I thought only fish and birds did that.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 05:22:05 PM »
Shitting in motion. I thought only fish and birds did that.

Really?  You've never seen the youtube video of the guy jumping bare-assed of a pier at a lake and "expelling" as he begins his cannonball?

Just linked, not shown, out of respect for those who don't care to view it.  It's not indecent (in the sense that you only see the guy's butt from a little distance) but it is disgusting.  Oddly enough, when I searched for "jump poop pier" on youtube, "Cannonball Dookie" was the 6th hit.
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2013, 07:23:23 PM »
There is a helicopter circling my house. When I went in the back yard to stare at it, they yelled at me to go inside.

I googled "Why is a helicopter over my house" and yahoo said to search police scanners.

SDPD

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/6740

Flash! Bang! Situation resolved. 5 pm to 1 AM.

Some neighbors were evacuated to the local high school, I just got a scolding to go inside from a helicopter.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 04:51:48 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2013, 06:11:26 PM »
my dog had two burrs stuck in his fur near his nether regions. he gave me a tough time trying to cut them out. now I'll have to be more mind full of what he decides is a great place to pee.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2013, 11:25:49 PM »
That kinda sounds like a common experience.

Now, if you said your dog walked up to you, and in perfect English said "Get these damn' burrs out of my balls", that would be an odd experience.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2013, 10:32:26 PM »
the burrs were a odd experience because I've never encountered them before

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 08:55:43 AM »
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1v18xl/police_officers_of_reddit_have_you_ever_been/cenqpuz

this

then

http://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/1v1zy1/follow_up_from_an_askreddit_thread_lived_in_a/?sort=new

this.

Now for the most part, nosleep is straight up cowpoo, and I ain't afraid of no ghost.

But on a later post on the first thread, they said it was on my bless'ed street. GHEEEEEEE

Granted, my bathroom has a window, so it isn't my house. And the follow up is some stupid "demon smoke" cowpoo.

But all the local notes ring true. Some of the deleted posts mentioned local bars, and the original poster wrote about meeting with the new homeowners at dennys, which is nearby.

At first I figured this was some geocache cowpoo, where it feeds you back your own town, or someone was writing a scary story in my town. But on my street? That's bless'ed freaky man.