Games Consoles & Video Games > Games Consoles

Is the "xbox one" the new telescreen?

(1/9) > >>

Mauve:
(Read the article here: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4352596/the-xbox-one-is-always-listening)
The new kinect for the xbox one will always be on, even when the xbox is off. Now equipped with a camera and microphone, rather than a sensor, it will always be watching and listening, waiting for "xbox turn on"
But isn't that a bit unsettling? Coupled with the xbox one's required 24/7 connection time to the kinect camera and microphone always being active, there could very well be a telescreen-like set up xbox one buyers will be facing.
Though, it's worth noting that it's still in discussion, we don't have all the information required.

Here is one quote worthy of mention:

--- Quote ---In fact, the new camera and microphone system is so sensitive to your presence, that Microsoft says the new Kinect can even read your heartbeat while you're exercising, and recognize and process audio that's personalized to specific individuals. "This is rocket science level stuff," Xbox's Marc Whitten said during today's reveal.
--- End quote ---

Very, very creepy stuff.

8ullfrog:
Duct. Tape.

Not that I'll be buying either the "Xbox One" (They throw a fit if you call it the one, or the xbox) or the PS4. Why? They removed the start and back buttons and replaced them with "options" and a "sharefuckfacetwatter" button. On the "Xbox One" they're a menu button and a resize button. Really? Resize? What the golly am I going to resize in a console game? Oh that's right, it's an "Entertainment experience" now. bless'ed Hell.

And I've been suffering. I really have. I've been holding back on buying a new computer. Not because I don't have the money, but because I WILL have GTA 5 in full glory. Even if I have to wait a year.

Thank god GTA 5 at least, is being released on the xbox 360. I'm out MicroBallmer. You got quite a bit of money out of me on the 360, I was at the midnight launch for several titles, but I'll probably never do that again.

Seriously, on the collectors edition of Gears Of War, you can tell that Microsoft repeatedly tried to neuter the bless'ed thing, to the point that Epic concealed the chainsaw gun when microsoft said to cut it, and only revealed it was still in at an announce event with BillG present. You could see the "golly you" in billG's eyes as he said "Huh, the chainsaw gun is still in there?"

That's what Microsoft is. Stifling innovation while pushing features no one bless'ed asked for.

Mauve:
I agree with you so much on GTA 5. I don't know what it was like for Gears of War since I never had an xbox ^^.
I did have a PS3, never really had any of the exclusives but Little Big Planet~

This next gen really does suck, though. Definitely going to have to get a good PC.

SACPOP:
Haha. I see what you mean about the Kinect and the telescreen. Seems like an authoritarian version of Wii Fit.

With a few notable exceptions, this gen did not really excite me much so I'm going to wait a few years before I buy anything. Probably not until the "independent developers" release their "alternative software".

Autumn:
I thought creepy, too.

Probs will not buy. If we do it will be after a couple gens of the console are released.

Still like my 360 controller.

I feel like there is nothing on the new systems that I MUST have. Kinda neat, but a little over the top.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version