Author Topic: TV WTF  (Read 3501 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
Re: TV WTF
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 11:48:27 PM »
I never felt particularly inclined to see any of the Ghostbuster sequels.  The first one was fine.  Funny.  Unusual.  Any efforts to coast on that would be stale.  So I stayed away.

What's BOP?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Human
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2020, 11:56:22 PM »
Birds of Prey.

Instead of spinning off Margot Robbie into her own series, they figured they'd destroy a different one.

https://themoviespoiler.com/movies/birds-of-prey/
just one little time change so a draft board in 1968 turns down the bribe to accept "bone spurs" and we are home-free.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2020, 12:09:15 AM »
Wow.  Talk about a spinoff.  I have never heard of this, but I'm sort of out of the Batman loop.  Is it worth viewing?

I got to rambling in the SG1 thread with this and thought better of it, so I'm pasting it here:

I'm working so not up late much, hence the horrid Lena Dunham show.  I think I might watch another one tonight with a distanced eye to see what about it has had me coming back.  The parallels with Friends, Seinfeld, Sex and the City, throws it into the genre of hip young people in New York.  Maybe that's why I watch it.

I was young and lived in NYC and haunted various places that were not yet hip, (the boundary of Little Italy/Chinatown) and these guys now inhabit the less edgy spots that were once border lands in the city.  They are the ones who move in after it's gentrified.  My friends lived on Columbus in the 80's in an apt where the drug dealers hit you up in the lobby, but all you had to do was respectfully decline and they left you alone. 

The characters on Girls are basically phonies, poseurs, totally fake.  The Sex and the City stories are more believable, because I think there are guys who would break up with you using a post-it.  And the ensuing rage is also what you'd expect.  Sarah Jessica Parker lets loose on the guy who did it and that was satisfying.  She gets mugged for her expensive shoes.  I can believe that.  She wants to go out with a good looking real estate developer who has money, because money is important when you live in such an expensive place.  I never thought I'd want Carrie Bradshaw back, just like I'd welcome Bush the lesser over the current occupant of the White House.  But there you have it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 12:16:40 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Human
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2020, 12:21:28 AM »
I liked the episode of Sopranos when they went into New York, and Little Italy was a ghost of it's former self, and the Chinese were hostile to them. Shows that the world is passing them by, and what their "life" is is eroding fast.

Like for me, I got Carne Asada fries the other day, and they came in an eco box. And man, golly an eco box. I want the old Styrofoam back already. Sometimes progress is weird, confusing, and undesired. (My town banned Styrofoam.)
just one little time change so a draft board in 1968 turns down the bribe to accept "bone spurs" and we are home-free.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2020, 12:49:41 AM »
I got to season 6 of Girls and decided that life's too short.  It's not worth the trouble to watch the pirated version.  When it was on amazon prime, fine, easy to just go to the next episode, but to watch the women with exaggerated poitrines and navigate all those popup ads to see this drivel is a bridge too far.  Judd Apatow should be publicly shamed for holding up this pathetic excuse for a human being as someone worth watching.  Hannah Horvath should just go get a job as a waitress or something and leave the rest of us alone because we just don't care about her wasted life.

She recalls for me the R. Crumb comic, "Gail Snail."  We're all just waiting for that giant foot to come down at the end of the frames and squash her like a bug.  For those of you unfamiliar, here it is in all its misogynistic glory.  Lena Dunham is enough to turn all of us into misogynists.  http://jakemw.tripod.com/gailsnl.jpg  The point of the scratch marks in the word/thought balloons is that nothing she says has any significance.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Human
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2020, 07:45:33 PM »
I passed up a complete DVD collection of the series ANGEL today, and I love that show. :(
I use  uBlock Origin on the Microsoft Edge browser for my streaming purposes. You're not wrong that those redirect ads are INFURIATING otherwise.

I don't understand why you watched six seasons of Girls.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2020, 10:23:30 PM »
Yeah.  I tried to explain earlier.  Life in NYC when I was younger and adventurous makes me nostalgic for those times, but this cast is laughable in their lame desire to be transgressive and original.  They are tediously conformist in the extreme.  Just another bunch of pathetic hipsters.  Dunham exemplifies everything I loathe about the phony boho lifestyle--she fancies herself an artist, but is too lazy to get out and push her own limits.  She is given a job to go to a women's surf camp on Long Island but manipulates the staff so she won't have to try to surf.  She's a fat slob who has no desire to exercise and has an atrocious diet.  Even so, we are treated to a wardrobe change every 5 minutes and she has an inexplicably unending stream of relatively attractive men who are seemingly willing to overlook her narcissistic and inconsiderate personality in order to bed her nauseating body.  Why the producers decided that the audience would want to look at her naked flab on a regular basis is God's own mystery.  Maybe they're blind.

I can't explain why I put up with it.  At first it was kitsch, then some kind of perverse fascination, like watching a car wreck, then, I got to the point where I felt I couldn't tolerate another minute of it.  I did watch all of Earth:Final Conflict, which got worse and worse until it was over, but I stuck with it.  I finally gave up on the 100 after about 4 or 5 seasons because I got sick of the heavily made up young people beating the crap out of one another.  It was just oppressive.  God knows, I'll watch almost anything. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:25:56 PM by 6pairsofshoes »