Author Topic: Sky Router T&Cs  (Read 3505 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Sky Router T&Cs
« on: June 23, 2013, 03:32:50 PM »
Okay. I use a Sky N router which has been working sort of alright since i set it up a while back, but about a month ago there was an automatic firmware update that changed all that.

Something happened to my wifi whereby it started to drop out every 2 or 3 minutes or so, which was a real pain as now all the computers (bar one) are connected that way. I wasn't informed of any changes to the hardware so I spent a good while trying to research and fix this issue with absolutely no progress whatsoever. Then, by chance, I was looking at the modem settings and I noticed the firmware had been updated to version 6.  I know this was an upgrade as it was version 2 before and I had tried to find version 5 to flash it - but couldn't. This is undoubtedly the cause of the wifi dropping out as I have since spoken to some friends that are experiencing the same after their router was updated.

Pissed off with this I grabbed a Belkin from my mum's that was not being used and installed it this morning. Accessing it was simple enough so all I need is a bit of configuration fiddling and off I go, right?  Nope, not so.  It transpires that Sky's terms and conditions forbid the use of your own routers (unless you were formerly a BE customer) and they refuse to give out your ADSL username and password as they are hardcoded into the hardware they ship.

Moving on. I have managed to ascertain my login details and will endeavour to set this Belkin up regardless of the T&Cs as in my opinion, updating my routers firmware without my consent is breaching my own terms and conditions.  They might not respect that but if they cut me off for using my own hardware they can bugger off for good for all I care.

All I have to do is figure out how to get this working and hope that I don't get the dreaded MER issue (although I should be able to get around that too).

<edit> I checked and the network is PPPoA so scratch the MER worry </edit>
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 03:59:19 PM by smokester »
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
Re: Sky Router T&Cs
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 04:27:33 AM »
They are unlikely to cut you off for using your own hardware, but they will refuse to support you if they know about it. As their support is largely a waste of space (Please reboot your router. Unplug your PC. Reboot your PC - you have a mac? what's that? Reboot it anyway. Do over until hell freezes ...), this is no great loss.

Basstads! As soon as I tried to connect this Belkin the network type changed to MER. 

I can't change the LAN MAC on the router, so I suppose spoofing is the only option. 

Or move to Virgin.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 09:35:47 AM »
I use Virgin, initially a pain to set up as they connect and boot the router up.
Blag ( i believe they are all hub's now)
Very rarely do i have a problem unless network down (isnt often)

If sky n router is faulty then why not phone sky and demand a engineer or threaten to cancel packages ?
normally threat's work with sky

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 04:43:09 PM »
There was a lot of talk about the version 6 firmware for the router and Sky has refused to release it for years because of one bug or another.  I was quite surprised that they allowed this so-called stable version to automatically update, as there should have at least been a service announcement to alert people of the change.

It is no better btw, so I am going to insist they allow my own hardware or I'll switch to Virgin.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 05:18:28 PM »
Might seem stupid, but you could try swapping out your power strip. I swapped out a 1980's firehazard model for one of those new belkins with the swivel cord, and I stopped having this exact issue.

Wish I'd done that before I replaced the router :(

But I stepped from G to N, so it's not that big a deal.

Sorry your ISP are being dicks.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 04:54:03 AM »
This is still causing me grief so I phoned them today and guess what?  Yep, they asked me to jump through some hoops. 

I have to now do their work so I can tell them things are broke.  Should I charge them I wonder..

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 07:26:10 AM »
as Christ said (and the first thing techs here will tell you), power down computer, then unplug your modem wait about ten minutes, plug your modem back in, wait another ten, then fire up your computer (i also unplug my wifi router). i'm lucky, modem's here are supplied free by my ISP, i had a problem with disconnects/signal drops last week, tech came the next day, checked and tightened connections on pole top, and installed a new modem (all free), solved my problem, but, yeah, sounds very likely its the firmware update.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 11:28:43 AM »
The lady on the phone told me that the update would happen using a CD and they didn't do it automatically.  She also insisted that she was unaware of any update that had happened as she hadn't been advised of any.

The firmware update is well documented on the internet and happened in May, and there are some folk that even lost work while the damn, unannounced firmware update took place.  Why is it that the company that did this does not know of it?

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 12:13:32 AM »
cause a fuss, demand a new router

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 08:11:36 PM »
Say it isn't lighting up. Neglect to mention you've unplugged it.

We will schedule a call for- "Nope, just send me a box"
Sir procedure calls for- "I don't want to pay for a service call, just send me a box."