Author Topic: STEAM Summer Getaway sale.  (Read 8446 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
STEAM Summer Getaway sale.
« on: July 15, 2013, 12:20:34 AM »
http://store.steampowered.com

Seriously sorry I didn't make this thread before today, but I've been kinda busy.

The insane price discounts are back, and they added card collecting for some reason. You can collect postcards from games you have, or you can get free ones for voting in the community choice sales. So far I've lost every vote, but every 3 votes I've got a card.

Apparently you can trade cards for DLC or games, in some bent up metagame. People are making hundreds of dollars off of this poo.

The shitty part is I thought they gave me skyrim for a minute, but it was only a card.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 12:23:05 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: STEAM Summer Getaway sale.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 08:37:18 AM »
some bargains
Medieval and kingdom pack for $6. a bargain

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 06:30:23 PM »
I bought Max Payne games earlier today.  I kind of wish I didn't though, since I already own the first one on CD and the minimum system requirements for the third one isn't minimum enough.

Apparently you can trade cards for DLC or games, in some bent up metagame. People are making hundreds of dollars off of this poo.
I can't seem to find how we're supposed to get the money from selling a card.  I suppose with it being mostly pennies, it'd all go into the Steam Wallet.  It would be nice to be able to withdraw money from Steam Wallet.

I have 4 Summer trading cards.  Oh, Civilization V won the vote, I already have this :(

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:16:14 PM »
I have two prison architect cards. Perhaps we could help each other.
I also have two torchlights.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ifrog1985/home

I'm thinking the duplicate card thing is intentional, so you have one to hold on to, and one to trade away.

I need chivalry and kerbal cards, then I'm home free.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 04:22:39 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
    • TITLE!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 12:54:09 PM »
I only have the Summer Getaway trading cards from voting and buying stuff.  I have been so very tempted to play games for the cards, so I can make them hundreds you mentioned above, but my stupid laptop cannot play games any more.  For some reason, my laptop keeps overheating during games - even during the first Half-Life game!

I found I could play Team Fortress 2 on the lowest settings for about 20 minutes before risking the machine shutting down, and this was during the winter!  It's 29°C in this room right now, I'm not going to risk playing anything that doesn't run in DosBox.

At first I thought it was only Valve games, but the first Red Faction game did the same thing, and eventually so did Deus Ex and Undying.  These are games that used to work perfectly a couple years ago.  I spent months in 2011 pissing about in Deus Ex, for hours at a time!  What a shame.

Typing this has made me realise, I could just play those simple games I try to avoid to get the cards.  And then maybe think about clearing out the dust from my laptop fan, because I've just found this:
http://www.intellcity.ru/content-2/service-manual-notebook-Samsung/service-manual-samsung-np-r710.pdf

That was not on the internet last year!

I now have two Football Manager Summer Getaway cards.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/chekovsulu/gamecards/245070/

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 05:45:47 PM »
How old is that laptop? When you have it apart you may want to remove and apply new thermal paste. I do this on my desktop about once a year. That may help it to run cooler.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 05:46:51 PM »
Cashed em all in, got the badge.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:15:19 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
    • TITLE!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 03:37:14 PM »
I bought my laptop in December 2008.  It has 3GB of RAM, 2GHz Core 2 Duo CPU and an Nvidia 8600M GT.  It was a massive step-up from the 2GHz AMD Sempron and 768MB of RAM I had before that.  I think the graphics card was nVidia 6600-something.  And I got a massive discount on it, one worthy of story and song.

You know, it's been years since I've actually messed around with thermal paste, thinking about doing now has got me all excited.  Maybe I should replace the thermal paste on the crappy old Celeron PC as well!

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 05:09:02 PM »
Maybe I should replace the crappy old Celeron PC as well!

fixt
--dweez

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
    • TITLE!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 02:08:26 PM »
That's actually on my list of things to get done by the end of the year. ;D

Offline FDB

• Australopithecus
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 08:45:08 PM »
Cards aren't just limited to the SSG cards, there are more than 200 games on Steam with trading cards.

I've made enough from the market to buy a couple of games. I'm up to about 150 Market transactions so far, the majority selling my stuff. The coupons you get from crafting badges are pretty good as well. None of the crappy 10%/33% you got in the Winter 2011 sale, i've had a few 90% that I have gladly used.
"We've had the iron age, the stone age... This is the pissing about age"

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 10:49:34 PM »
FallDownBoy?

Welcome to Diasfora.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 12:26:02 AM »
Man, I wish I had the chops. I see amazing stories from people who parlay some random drop weapon into games off their wishlist, but I am not a mover or a shaker. I've got a frying pan and a hat in my steam inventory, and I don't want to sell them :P

Offline FDB

• Australopithecus
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 08:38:29 PM »
FallDownBoy?

Welcome to Diasfora.

Correct, there goes my 'guess the username game'.

Man, I wish I had the chops. I see amazing stories from people who parlay some random drop weapon into games off their wishlist, but I am not a mover or a shaker. I've got a frying pan and a hat in my steam inventory, and I don't want to sell them :P

You would love the traders, they treat you like a God if you give them a trade that is even just a few cents in their favour, they think it's the greatest act of generosity in the world.
"We've had the iron age, the stone age... This is the pissing about age"

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 09:22:10 PM »
Out of the 30+ games on my computer I only have 3 on Steam.