Author Topic: My dog and I.  (Read 6067 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
My dog and I.
« on: August 01, 2013, 03:38:59 AM »
Was sorely tempted to title this "My dog and me" but grammar.

Yesterday with friends over, eating food, I turned to my dog and said "Hey mom". Everyone laughed at me.

Just now, my dog sneezed, woke up, spun into a bless'ed murder rage, ran around in a circle, sneezed again in my shoulder, and then went back to sleep.

So let all sneeze monsters beware, my dog will bless'ed end you.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
Re: My dog and I.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 05:17:45 AM »
I think My dog and me is correct unless it is followed by something.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 07:40:14 AM »
In this context, since it's not a complete phrase, I don't think it matters.  But to my ears, "My dog and me" sounds wrong (not that it is wrong, just that it sounds that way).  It feels to me like it should be "My dog an I" or "Me and my dog".
--dweez

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 09:20:41 AM »
You can title something "Me" but if you title it "I" it's I what?

Anyway, what kind of dog is it?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 03:59:37 PM »
Is it a meagle?
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 03:16:39 AM »
Australian Shepperd.

I know this is bumping an extremely dead thread, but I have discovered a new facet of my dog's behavior.

The dog enjoys growling at me for no reason. Sometimes she'll just sit next to me and growl. She isn't hungry, she doesn't need to go outside, and she really seems to enjoy it. (Full tail wag in effect).

Today mom was watching Judge Judy, and the dog was sitting by me, growling. I said firmly "Overruled." The dog stopped instantly, and stared at me.

So that's the new word with the dog. Overruled.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 07:52:09 AM »
I said firmly "Overruled." The dog stopped instantly, and stared at me.

You're driving that poor dog crazy, 8ull.  :D

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 05:44:40 PM »
One time. One time EVER did I bathe the dog in the backyard. Ever since then, she will not go outside if I am the one asking. She'll tell me occasionally to let her out, but if I try to get her to go out on my schedule? Nope.

I hope the roommate gets home soon, she hasn't gone out all damn day.

[UPDATE]
Dog is fine, but she did wait for the roommate.  >:(
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 06:18:52 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 08:19:48 PM »
Your dog makes me smile.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 10:39:13 PM »
This one is not a fun one. A while back, she split one of the nails on her rear left leg.

I've made token efforts to either resolve the situation or at least cut the hair so I can get her to a vet, but she gets snarly and snappy whenever I try. Also starts wiggling and spinning like a snake or a croc.

Mom made an attempt earlier today to trim the hair around the toe, but the dog is stronger than she is, and kept hiding under my desk to get away.

Tonight I worked on it, and it was like cutting the hydra, just more and more hair. I managed to get 1/4th of a side of the nail visible, and I could see this is probably bothering her. So I grabbed the tweezers and did the unpleasant task of pulling the bone shard that was sticking out.

She was real freaked out about all this, but I managed to do it without causing further injury or blood loss. Didn't even need the styptic.

Unfortunately, the bone still has a split, and I've got no bless'ed clue what to do with it. Dremel?

I'll buy the finest bless'ed dremel kit on the market if I have to. I feel so bad for the dog.

Well I guess there is one silly bit to it. The dog hates haircuts, and mom generally gives the cuts, then the dog hides by me for protection.

Well after the impromptu medical care, she ran... to me, to protect her from mom.

I guess that's a little funny.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 07:48:08 AM »
She hides by you when your mom tries to cut her hair. She hides by your roommate when you try to bathe her. She's a clever dog!
You didn't mention anything about antiseptics but of course you must've used something before cutting her nail. I've learned the hard way to always desinfect the nails (specially toenails) and the tools used for clipping them.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 11:18:35 PM »
Wouldn't cut poo before cleaning the tools. Same thing with sharpening. Just like a dull nail clipper can injure a human, I am sure as poo certain that it could hurt a squirming dog ten times worse. I wasn't actually clipping the nail in this instance, I just pulled a shard out of the nail? claw? talon? the golly is that called on a dog?

Did not consider sanitizing the nail first, poo. You do that with wounds, and this certainly qualifies.

I didn't even clean it post because it didn't bleed and she was defensive. Now I feel like an even bigger bottom.

Thank you for the heads up on that. Not sarcasm. That will seriously alter the way I handle things like this in the future. I'm very careful with tweezers, but this really does take things to the next level.

Today she bullied us for yesterday. She sat next to me, punching me. If I stopped petting her she'd growl and punch me again.

Then she punched mom in the face. Mom was not pleased. (She was taking a nap at the time.)

Aussies are very, very smart. And apparently vindictive. I do feel bad for mom.

I'm having a hell of a time keeping her out from under the desk though. After yesterday that seems to be the go to spot.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 05:57:32 AM »
Then she punched mom in the face. Mom was not pleased. (She was taking a nap at the time.)

:)

In an ideal world (smaller, tamer pet) I would have washed the paw with water and soap and then put some iodopovidone in the area. But with your dog you probably need to put a bomb suit on first.  ;D

I think we've discussed antiseptics before, haven't we?
Alcohol has been bastardized as an antiseptic (yes, it can irritate and dehydrate) but if used at 70% and it's all you have at home then use it. Here's a nice article on that.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 02:54:43 AM »
Dog ran up to me today, and then inverted herself.

As in flipped over and put her entire weight on her head.

bless'ed weirdo. She fell over, of course.

Mom is away, so this odd behavior will likely increase. She hasn't done anything destructive... yet.

I've taken to carrying her outside, as she hides when I suggest it. Then I just sit in the yard and wait for her to conclude outside activities.

She's fairly tame as far as handling goes, but she is very particular and, "miffy"? I would say? Huffy?

She's been hiding under my desk a lot. When I sit down at it, she bolts out. I've taken to exclaiming "It's the cave devil!" from RVB.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 03:07:43 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline Discover99

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 09:50:14 AM »
how did she punch you guys? did she headbut?
your dog def seems to have character ;)

how's her talon now?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 05:00:22 PM »
Mom took her with to go take care of grandma, so I haven't been able to check the nail.

As to how she punches, she just jabs out with her paw. She'll go for the face or stomach generally.

When she sits next to you and doesn't want you to go anywhere, she'll lay a paw across your lap so you can't get up.

She does headbutt me in the face occasionally. Just jumps up on the couch next to me and BAM.

Mom came back home today because she has to pick up Aunt Drunky from the airport, and she's going to leave the dog here this time, because the dogs been acting traumatized up there.

The dog just tried to kick my beer over, which reminds me of a very old story, coming up on eight years now.

When we first got the dog, she had a habit of knocking over beers and drinking them. One time I laughed so hard at this, I had to go to the hospital for ventilation. (Severe asthma attack).