Author Topic: Thrift Shop Finds  (Read 3168 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Thrift Shop Finds
« on: August 23, 2013, 07:40:10 PM »
I found Pretty Hate Machine! Most of the time when I see a Nine Inch Nails CD, the case will be empty because of some little poo.

The goodwill I regularly visit installed security cameras, but this is the first time I've managed to find a NIN CD there.

In High school, when I paid the stupid price of about $15 a CD, this thing went missing three times. It's nice to have a copy again.

Offline SACPOP

• Human
Re: Thrift Shop Finds
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 09:21:14 PM »
That's my 2nd favorite Britney Spears album, after Oops, I did it again. :P

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 11:21:35 AM »
somtimes you can find some great stuff at the goodwill, like children toys a boxes of unopened dishes and some designer labels. but Ive found that depending on the neighborhood each goodwill is different, it can be great or really poo. the last goodwill I was in did not sell any music , they did however have a few video games nothing for ps3, mostly it was clothes and house items and some costume jewelry.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
I found a bunch of good ones today, and I got a suit jacket.

A wedding I will be attending revised the dress code sharply upward, so I needed to find a suit jacket before thursday.

I found one, it was great, I went to buy it, and the clerk shut me down cold. "This is a two piece, can't sell it." Now I'd watched her pull this poo, or variations on everyone ahead of me in the line, so I said "I'm not asking for a discount, I'll pay full price, I need this jacket." She still wanted to shut me down so I told her to get her manager. Manager walks up WITH THE PANTS and the sale went down.

She also tried to richard me on the CD's. She said CD's without labels cost more, I flipped the case to show they'd put the sticker on the back of some of them.

I know retail is a poo job, but you should still at least give a golly about what you are doing.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:00:59 AM »
She sounds like someone who hates her life and wanted to share that by jerking you around.  Glad you found a suit.  I find the Goodwill too expensive.  Sometimes they charge more than the original retail (tee shirts in new condition that sold for less at WalMart where they originated, canning jars in used condition without rings or lids that cost more than brand new ones, the list goes on).  It's rare to find bargains there.  I've pretty much given up on trying to find clothing there, will pop in once in a blue moon to the local county headquarters store (in a very bad neighborhood) where I've found some good deals on kitchen equipment.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 02:01:13 PM »
Blame the internet. Before amazon they had to guess at what things were worth, now they just check amazon.

Plus greed. Everyone is raising prices so they decided to go along with the same.

Eh, $3 isn't that bad for a CD. I know a lot of people are dumping them after loading up their mp3 players, but I like having the disks. I do not care for Digipak though, that's where the CD case is paper. No matter how careful you are with those things, they get beat up.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 02:45:20 PM »
Who can afford Walmart when there are thrift stores?

We (masonry crew) used to drive through ritzy neighborhoods at lunchtime and find good stuff at the curb waiting to be picked up by waste management. Found shiny bicycles, a small trampoline, unbroken toys, computers... We loved the rich bitches.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 07:31:56 PM »
Goodwill often costs more than Walmart.  I rarely buy clothes at either place.

This is a good place for stuff on the curb, transient university town, although it drives my husband crazy when I pick stuff up.  There's clothes books housewares, etc.  People often list stuff on craigslist to give away when they are moving so that's been just great.  I got a great teakettle from a woman who was moving to England, along with her kitchen staples so I was able to replenish my stocks of baking supplies rather nicely.