Author Topic: Youtube Realname  (Read 8269 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Youtube Realname
« on: September 07, 2013, 02:03:38 AM »
For now hitting F5 works, but about twenty minutes ago I had to hit it three times to get rid of the youtube real name cowpoo.

I have a business purposes gmail account, it has my real name, and that's cool.

8ullfrog is NOT that name. And it never will be. Google doesn't care, they say that name is hard to read or some other such cowpoo.

In reality they just want to tie a real name to it to monetize. I don't care. I just want a way to block the google nag.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Youtube Realname
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 03:18:08 AM »
What a pita.  I'm too tired to deal with this right now, but I don't use my real name on youtube for very good reasons, mostly related to privacy concerns.  Thanks for trying to take that away from me google.  I really like that they make me have to spend all this time dicking around with my account so they won't splash my name and personal musical preferences all over cyberspace.  What jerks.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »
snort.

You can easily unlink the youtube acct from the google plus one.  I think you will have to log into each separately in the future.  It took a while to get through enough of their legalese to figure that out.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »
Yeah, they keep trying to change mine to Dammit Mann.  ;D

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 04:15:46 PM »
yeah, those nag screens are a total pain, change your name, link account to this and that........ :-\
like you, i don't want them exploiting my real name for whatever.

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 01:45:27 AM »
Yeah, they keep trying to change mine to Dammit Mann.  ;D

Sounds like a super hero name.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 02:08:34 AM »
I was reading up on this, apparently youtube is a more successful social network than facebook, so google has decided to fold google plus into youtube. Unfortunately, I have NO bless'ed INTEREST in google plus, or it's real name policy.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 02:50:14 AM »
I could strangle my daughter. I got an e-mail that she added me on Google+, whatever that means. She knows me and should know better.

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 05:00:31 AM »
I managed to sign up to a YouTube account with my main e-mail address by just using the YouTube app in June.  I did not expect this, I assumed you would be asked to sign-in yourself.

What worries me most is that I don't use my full name as my GMail account name.  I'm sure that violates some rule.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 08:22:19 AM »
What worries me most is that I don't use my full name as my GMail account name.  I'm sure that violates some rule.
I've been using an alias for a couple years, don't care about any hidden(?) rules.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 08:51:10 AM »
I think as long as you're not impersonating a real person, you're fine.  I have an obviously fake Facebook account name and it survived the purging Facebook did of fake names a year or so ago.  Also, my G+ account name is an obvious fake as well.
--dweez

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 10:01:29 PM »
Ah they are at it again with their data swiping.  I tried ad-blocking the pup-up, but they have tied it to the video player somehow and disabling the pop-up disables the player.  Last time the hit us, I ended up going through all the questions, and furnished them with nothing more than they already had.

I was reading up on this, apparently youtube is a more successful social network than facebook, so google has decided to fold google plus into youtube. Unfortunately, I have NO bless'ed INTEREST in google plus, or it's real name policy.

I have thought this for a little while, but what do I know.....
Google have been trying to cash in on social networking for years and years now.  When a mate pointed out that gmail's new layout actually makes it easier to for him to go through his fb feed and such, I realised google finally worked it out how to steal the data collected by facebook.  Took them long enough for such a "smart" company.

I could strangle my daughter. I got an e-mail that she added me on Google+, whatever that means. She knows me and should know better.

She probably had no say in who she invited, no doubt google hijacked her email contacts list and spammed everyone in it.

Google stands have been popping up at a lot of exhibitions lately, the most recent I saw was at Fine Food.  Why are Google at a food industry show?  They were at Spa & Beauty Expo also...... :o

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 12:03:22 AM »
They have ads on TV now.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 01:13:20 AM »
I managed to get a google response, they said that it's more of a survey than anything else, and that clicking the "I want to use the same name on my account, but not my real name" will get rid of this nag.

If you look at the url when the nag screen pops up, you can easily see that this is a transparent attempt to link your account to google plus, which is where the retarded real name policy comes into play.

Note: This response from youtube was a lie.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:23:24 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 02:02:35 AM »
I did that.  Now everytime I log in, I have to choose between linking my real name/e-mail acct and retaining the alias I set up.  I guess since they give me all these assets for free, I shouldn't begrudge them some monetization, but it's a pain nonetheless.