Author Topic: What video game(s) are you playing?  (Read 57137 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: What video game(s) are you playing?
« Reply #285 on: August 26, 2023, 12:40:37 AM »
I've been trimming up my wishlists of games to purchase.

Picking up older PC titles is getting GRIM.

Even on ebay, the two copies of Resident Evil 3 are substandard. One is french, and one is PLAYXPRESS.

Both are $100 USD.

All I want is the US PC copy. I don't want a localization, I don't want a "budgetpack". I've heard the budget version of RE3 straight out cuts the mercenaries mode.

I have RE 1 and 2. They're not exactly "fun" to get running on modern systems, but I'm just one game short.

I'm in the same boat with Scarface. Used copies are rare as hens teeth, and speculation has driven it through the roof.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #286 on: August 28, 2023, 09:22:07 AM »
I'm a little pissed off, to be honest. I didn't do my homework so didn't realise the Conquest of Eo was a turn-based strategy game and nothing like the RTS/RPG format of the other versions. Why the golly did they do that?

I have no problem with the format, but call it something else so there can be no confusion. I really don't have the time or patience to study the mechanics and wade through all the gameplay options just to play HoMM all over again.

Definitely and cash-and-grab version of Spellforce.

You were eaten by a grue.
Was that actually a line in Zork?

To be honest, I can't remember. If memory serves, I think that you actually couldn't go into a dark room without a light source and to justify itself the game said "It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue". But that may be me misremembering, and you may actually have been eaten by a grue if you did go into a dark room without a light source. And "you were eaten by a grue" sounds much better than "You are likely to be eaten by a grue".

Theremust be a browser version of Zork around somewhere that you can download and try, surely!

Judging by my reservations of Conquest of EO, I appear not to want to return to more a basic gameplay format.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #287 on: September 06, 2023, 02:19:47 AM »
My friend bought me Project Zomboid and I bless'ed hate it. I already had read that it is a survival game where non-survival is guaranteed. I had faffed my friend off saying I wasn't really interested in the title and he... just bought it for me?

I think he's looking for a co-pilot, but so far I hate the game. The Tutorial in particular was BRUTALLY meanspirited. The first zombie you encounter is your mother, which you are informed of AFTER you bash her head in with a frying pan. You then use a knife recovered from her corpse to eliminate a survivor, only to be informed that this was your father. Then you loot your father and go to his shed for supplies. The tutorial instructs you to break a window, which naffs up your hand, and you must rush through bandaging it.

After you leave the shed, you find two zombies eating... your sister. So, family elimination. Great, sounds like a fun time for someone other than me.

You are then instructed by the tutorial to consume an antidote. I knew they were going to do a meanspirited hook by this point, but I hit the button. You then scream, which draws every zombie in the area and you die.

Thus, confirming exactly WHY I did not want to play this game. Additionally, it had the same weird swirly mouse controls I didn't like about Yakuza 0. It's not a mouse precision issue, this thing is insanely responsive, and I love it. Blows my old naga out of the water.

I honestly wonder what this weird swoopy feeling is. Maybe I should load up an old favorite and see if I experience it there.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #288 on: September 25, 2023, 05:33:37 PM »
I bit the bullet and started to play Conquest of EO (apparently I've already amassed 70 hours game time) but I really don't like it. I have restarted a conquest 3 times, each time bringing to the game the experience (avoiding the same mistakes) from the last conquest attempt. But no matter what I do I still end up on the losing end.

First play I was at about 30 weeks into the game's timeline and the antagonists got too strong and started to beat me up. The second play, I played really sensibly grabbing as many buffs as I could, but by week nine, Rohan (scallywag mage) took my tower effectively killing me off.

This 3rd play (I'm not going to say "playthrough"), I am at week eight playing as strategically as possible, but the game isn't giving me much help so I only have 2 averagely buffed troops against armies of monsters.

What is this poo, chess or something?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #289 on: September 30, 2023, 09:44:25 AM »
I'm finally getting to grips with this damn game. I really wish I hadn't started it, though. It's such a life robber.

Anywho. Should have beaten it by Christmas.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #290 on: February 02, 2024, 10:20:51 AM »
Bought Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare during the Christmas sale. I'd say it would have been a decent rental title, I beat it in just under 7 hours.

I had previously had horrible vertical tear issues and had put the game aside until I could be bothered to tweak fix.

Turns out I just had to run the game in safe mode once, and the problem vanished.

I really enjoyed the exo frames in this title, and really hated the legacy stuff. (You get knocked out about as often as James Bond, QTE's are inescapable, you have to throw a knife while prone, it's all stuff that's been done.)

Then again, I know COD is mostly purchased like the yearly sports titles for online, and some never even touch the campaign.

I managed to avoid downloading the multiplayer portion, and thank god, even the SP campaign clocks in around 50 GB. I know that's mostly texture information these days, but it still makes me wince.

The Kevin Spacey villain was fantastic, and the cutscenes were visually impressive.

My favorite mission was the villa infiltration, where you can use a grappling hook like scorpion to stealth kill enemies from the bushes. GET OVER HERE! I had so much fun abusing the mechanic, my commanding officer chastised me for killing so many people.

I'd say the ending was satisfying, but the game leaves you wanting more. Several years pass between missions, and it might have been nice to see what happened over those years. I also think it would have been rewarding to have the protagonist go through training, you're kind of dumped directly into the Korean war kicking back off at the outset.