Author Topic: Complaining about cellphones.  (Read 4858 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Complaining about cellphones.
« on: November 25, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
I tried to download Tetris on my phone. I love my original Game Boy, but I can't take it quite as many places as I can my phone.

It's not rooted or anything, it's running ICS. I don't particularly care for ICS, the old OS, cookie something worked just fine.

ICS slowed my phone down.

Now I have to wait when I click things. It used to be more responsive. I'm sure this is because ICS requires more resources, and this is an attempt to force me onto a newer phone. So I resent the poo out of it.

It broke video.

Videos used to just load. It wasn't a process I had to coax, I just loaded up the sites and bam, video worked. I know this is because Adobe abandoned me, the heartless bastards. I tried downloading the last version supported manually, but that has never worked right. I know people go on an on about how great HTML5 video is going to be, but the sites I use are still using flash.

It stops what I am doing to perform housekeeping.

I found Tetris in the app store. I'm sure it's bloated and shitty and is going to fill half the screen with an ad, and nag me for micro-transactions. I'm not thrilled with that, but I can get past it.

What I can't get past is the fact that Play Store queued the download. I didn't ask it to do this, it took it upon itself.

It also put Tetris at the back of the line, behind updates. So far it's updated 21 apps, several of which I would love to have the option to uninstall. Still no Tetris.

One of the reasons I love the Game Boy is because of it's appalling lack of options. You've got on/off, contrast, and volume. I'd love a back-light, but no dice.

There is no home screen, there is no Google play. I kinda dig that.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Complaining about cellphones.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 11:55:29 PM »
what phone is it.
http://www.xda-developers.com/ is great for advice help , how to's

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 10:59:22 PM »
8ully you have he same issues anyone with a background in computing have, android is an invasive and overbearing OS that is more concerned with making money from the user than being an intuitive gui to command a digital tool.  Thank you Google.

I'm thinking of getting a small tablet as a mobile device that runs windows and bless'ed-off the smart-phone completely.  Go back to my old small phone and don't sync it with my google account so it can't take over.

As for turning off updates and stuff, you might be able to go into the deeper settings for the apps in your phone settings.  I am able to tell apps to not update automatically (a normal setting) but also not notify me of available updates.  There are apps which you won't be able to remove completely like Talk and other google chaff as-well-as whoever has paid the phone manufacturer to include their app (eg facebook), but you can remove all updates and switch off notifications and auto-updates (I think I just said the same thing twice).

If you want full ownership of your phone though, I think you know what you need to do....

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 12:03:19 AM »
Like Blockbuster. Business is Kaput, app still on phone, and will be until I abandon it for a newer piece of hardware.

Offline megamarkd

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 03:10:01 AM »
Could be just a poorly coded app...

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 10:34:49 AM »
I wasn't very keen on any upgrade past 2.3.  Ice-cream had a noticeable impact on my Galaxy Note.  Once I get it fixed, I'm going to give it to my mum.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!