Author Topic: That was a bad idea.  (Read 6767 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: That was a bad idea.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 12:20:05 AM »
Hoadley is one of the best known dendrologists in the world.  I'm sure he could identify many more obscure species than what his idiot publisher chose to put on the cover, but that's the book biz.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 05:42:20 AM »
Hoadley is one of the best known dendrologists in the world.  I'm sure he could identify many more obscure species than what his idiot publisher chose to put on the cover, but that's the book biz.

As a carpenter I'm not entirely sure of the purpose of identifying wood. The top 10 used are easily spotted and other types are more conversational items.

I could understand it for study of a sunken galleon or something, but I haven't encountered anyone in my life that wanted to enter that field.

Saying that, I own an encyclopedia of wood.  Not sure where it is, but I do own one. 
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 10:29:39 AM »
As a carpenter I'm not entirely sure of the purpose of identifying wood. The top 10 used are easily spotted and other types are more conversational items.

I could understand it for study of a sunken galleon or something, but I haven't encountered anyone in my life that wanted to enter that field.

Saying that, I own an encyclopedia of wood.  Not sure where it is, but I do own one.

My husband restores antique furniture and it's useful to be able to identify species, particularly in order to patch or replace missing pieces, especially veneers.  There are several species that have become very rare and difficult to replace, but knowing what they are makes it easier to locate or in some cases to substitute other, similar species for them.  It's also a useful connoisseurship tool that will allow one to date a piece of furniture since some species were used frequently at particular periods.  It can help identify fakes or made up pieces.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 10:59:01 AM »

My husband restores antique furniture and it's useful to be able to identify species, particularly in order to patch or replace missing pieces, especially veneers.  There are several species that have become very rare and difficult to replace, but knowing what they are makes it easier to locate or in some cases to substitute other, similar species for them.  It's also a useful connoisseurship tool that will allow one to date a piece of furniture since some species were used frequently at particular periods.  It can help identify fakes or made up pieces.

A friend of mine used to (probably still does) buy up a lot of old Roman gates and doors when he was at home in Italy.  Some of the stuff was over 3000 years old and fairly impossible to match for repairs. He managed with "near enough" timber and stains and other modern, French polishing techniques.

He achieved remarkable results. Not as I could, but remarkable nonetheless.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 12:30:57 AM »
There are dyes, stains and veneers along with various shellacs, and waxes that help to contribute to the sheen and color of furniture surfaces.   I spent several hours this afternoon waxing a mahogany veneer table with National Trust Wax.  It's like a visit to the health spa from hell.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 02:13:18 PM »
Six, that is both interesting and funny : )  Well done, on all levels.  I bet it's hard work.