Author Topic: End of life  (Read 4427 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
End of life
« on: March 23, 2014, 06:12:24 PM »
So my roommate's laptop is starting to nag him about the death of XP.

I was hoping there was some way to find out if his laptop can run linux without having to jump through the hoops of hardware checking each individual component.

Frankly, if I'm doing that, I want to get paid. This is mostly to just shut him up so I don't have to walk him through a store to buy something new.

Is there a service that does this? Does the rundown and gives a Y/N answer on linux? He's not partial to a distro, he just does the facebook/email/youtube combo. Not a gamer, and doesn't use anything else.

He would be connecting to the network through wireless, and I do know that's a sticky wicket.

[UPDATE: WHO GIVES A poo ABOUT BIGFOOT?]

Gonna try a livecd of ubuntu. Well... live usbstick?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:44:56 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline dandrummerman

• Homo Erectus
  • Black Sheep
Re: End of life
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 07:25:05 PM »
I don't see why he needs to jump ship with xp? It isn't going to be supported anymore, but that doesn't mean it won't work. So a few security loopholes won't be closed, big woop. He's been using it this whole time without them being exploited, whats the big deal about now?

Ubuntu is a super compatible distro, there is a high probability that there won't be any issues with it. You could always dual-boot it, xp and ubuntu. For that matter, why not just upgrade to W7? Or upgrade to W7 and dual-boot ubuntu?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 08:27:48 PM »
So far
1) Won't Boot from USB stick
2) Won't boot from ubuntu DVD

I tested the DVD on my machine before putting it in his laptop.

Checked his with audio CD and movie DVD, both read fine, so it's not the drive shitting on me.

He wants to jump ship from XP out of panic. He's been spooked, and he's not going to unspook. The machine does not meet the memory requirements for 7 (he's got 640), plus there were several unresolvable driver issues.

I'm thinking of modifying the ubuntu ISO to skim a few files off so it will burn to CD-r. I have a weird feeling something in his bios is rejecting boot dvd.

This is already in beer territory, I'd share with you if I could dan.

If I could I'd buy him one of those baby tablets from toys r us and say to hell with it, but I have no doubt he will reject a tablet.

He never really got over the fact that the 1970's ended. This laptop was a gift from a friend out of pity many years ago. I duct taped the speaker grills on for him when they rusted out.

Sometimes I feel bad for the guy, as he likely has an undiagnosed mental illness. So I do what I can, and hope for the best.

[UPDATE]

The bless'ed thing won't read burned disks. I'll try hitting it with compressed air tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure this is a permafucked thing.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:58:33 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:49:17 AM »
Godspeed 8ully, sometimes I am glad I study subjects like philosophy and not technology.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 05:04:54 PM »
Found the external DVD burner, and it worked. Took a minute to spin the power supply up, but it worked!

Slapped one of the many CD-R's that have been sacrificed in the attempt to get this poo going, and it was recognized!

I ended up using Lubuntu because ubuntu requires a blank DVD, and Lubuntu just barely fits on a CD-R.

So the drive spun up without complaints (For the first time ever) and XP recognized the format of the disk. My guess is there is something wrong with his optical drive, but he never uses it.

Lubuntu actually has an option for troublesome boot situations, where it can preload several of the needed files as a bit of a push start.

So I did that. Right now it's checking the disk for defects, but if it comes back clean I'll load up demo mode and take the roommate for a spin.

He went to a refurb laptop shop and was told that linux is not for the general user. I'd like to punch that nerd in the face.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 06:15:13 PM »
If he can't catch on to Lubuntu you could just put a check in Don't show this message again when you get the reminder nag and let him use XP. Windows 7 will run on 1 GB of RAM.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 08:56:01 PM »
Oh my god I'm bless'ed done! wooooooo.

First I had to enable the wired networking (Previous roommate had disabled it)
Then I had to run the updates, Cue Whining. He saw the machine was lit and turned on and began wondering why he couldn't use it. I had to explain that with any OS install, you have to run the updates first.

The updates did NOT install the wireless driver. I assume this is because of some commie open source grumbling because they don't like broadcom.

I learned more about this goddamn broadcom card than I ever wanted to know.

Got that installed through the terminal and get command.

Pull up youtube, no flash. That's ok I'll just download... THE golly IS THIS.

So I hit the ubuntu forums again, found another magic get command for flash.

Got that running, WOOO.

And now I've turned it over. I give it +/- 30 minutes before he bitches about something not working.

It was less than five minutes. He needed me to increase the font size.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 09:02:08 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 10:38:46 PM »
Woot!  Nice job 8ully.  Way to stick with it.
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 01:17:07 AM »
shot in the dark the problem was the optical drive.

I also feel lucky that all the hardware was supported, he can even use the media buttons on the machine.

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 11:45:06 AM »
Question is, did you get paid for doing all that work?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 08:55:21 PM »
Bottle of Jack, six pack of heineken.

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 10:00:17 AM »
Overpaid. Typical IT support.
;D
good work 8ully.