Author Topic: Did you know  (Read 3743 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Did you know
« on: December 18, 2014, 01:17:33 PM »
A Christmas pudding should be made with 13 ingredients to represent Jesus and His Disciples and that every member of the family should take turns to stir the pudding with a wooden spoon from east to west, in honour of the Wise Men.

Offline mishca09

• Q
Re: Did you know
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 03:29:14 PM »

cool fact !

I saw christmas pudding for the first time in the supermarket yesterday and it had more than 13 ingredients.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 01:30:58 AM »
Not home made though

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 06:54:31 PM »
definitely not home made. it was made in england and shipped to the us.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 04:32:27 AM »
"Pudding" means different things in the UK and the U.S.

Here's it means a type of custard.   Whereas, if I understand it properly, in the UK, it's dessert, an afterdinner sweet.  Christmas Custards are like dense cakes that get steamed and covered with brandied butter.

Sometimes I think the analogous eating Jesus rituals can get a bit weird, from transubstantiation to pudding.  My nice vanilla methodist church opted for wonder bread and concord grape juice instead of wine and wafers.  Given we were starved for lunch by that time in the weekly church service, I quite looked forward to it.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 01:33:32 PM »
Which ingredient is Jesus? The suet or the sixpence? (or maybe a plum?) I don't want to eat the Judas ingredient - I think that I may be allergic to it - in fact it may be better to leave it out so that no-one has to eat it: on reflection is that the "piece of silver"?

All stirring is from east to west at some point in the stroke (assuming a circular stir in a horizontal plane)

I am not sure that this myth stands up to scrutiny.

Well you'd be the expert in that as we all (or nearly all) celebrate Cristes Maesse  ;D ;D
Noticed it on http://projectbritain.com/Xmas/christmaspudding.html
never eat the stuff but sounds plausible and is a common superstition on many sites  :)