Author Topic: [s]Gateway[/s] Acer laptop suffering the mummy's curse.  (Read 5600 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
[s]Gateway[/s] Acer laptop suffering the mummy's curse.
« on: December 25, 2014, 12:19:04 AM »
So my piece of poo decided it wanted to come down with the mummy's curse. I tried to turn the machine on, it had other ideas.

It does power on, and the disk tray ejects, but it does not initialize the display or boot. It isn't that the display doesn't work, it's that the bless'ed machine doesn't even feel like POSTing.

And then, a few hours later, it does feel like powering up, and works just fine. Everything works great, until the next time I need to turn it on. I know damn well the thing isn't coming back to life due to magical thinking, but I sure as golly can't figure out what made it decide to boot.

I left it on with power instructions not to go to sleep or hibernate, then I did my grocery shopping. When I returned, the machine was in sleep mode and would not resume.

I bent with it again, and now it's booted up and running fine. Even got in a little walk in the woods in Elder Scrolls IV. I also watched a full length documentary on youtube.

I'm dreading when I go to bed and power the politician off.

It's badged as a gateway, but is clearly an ACER. I pulled the memory and hard drive out, and it didn't even react. (Obviously I powered down the machine and removed the battery before doing this)

Would nuking Hiberfil help this? Or is it something I'd have to golly around in the bios to figure out? I'm understandably wary about restarting the machine.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: [s]Gateway[/s] Acer laptop suffering the mummy's curse.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 04:50:20 PM »
Any news on this?

Does it react any better if you leave the battery out and power it from the power supply - or even the other way round.

Can you swap ram chips from another comp and see if it persists, or even leave one out and then the other, etc.

I've found it's all about elimination in these cases.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: [s]Gateway[/s] Acer laptop suffering the mummy's curse.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 02:32:59 AM »
bump erty bump