Author Topic: Phone tomfoolery  (Read 4885 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Phone tomfoolery
« on: July 16, 2013, 08:16:27 PM »
My mom has a dumbphone. Verizon would rather you have a smartphone, so dumbphone options are slim as golly. You get one choice.

So she's got the samsung shitbox. No camera, three separate 911 buttons.

Lately, it's been deciding if it wants to boot up or not. If it decides no, it plays the stupid verizon jingle, then sits on the verizon screen for a minute, and then repeats the process.

At first I thought this was a battery issue, but it charges up.

So I pulled the battery for a day. That was fun. Put the battery back in, phone booted.

Stupid bless'ed internal battery, I hate you.

Offline mishca09

• Q
Re: Phone tomfoolery
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 08:57:57 PM »
My gran had a simple phone and it came with a camera. Has she tired consumer cellular ? They have some choices for those that don't want a smart phone.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 05:57:16 AM »
inherited a Samsung g2.
new battery,upgrade, a little tweaking and fantastic

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 09:38:37 AM »
My mum wants a nice phone.  She wants a smartphone, so I thought I'd give her mine.  I hope the easy-mode interface is easy enough for her, I'm not particularly keen on playing tech support.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 11:51:40 AM »
Just installed iOS 7 on my 3+ year old iPhone 4 (no S, just 4) and the install went fine.  Haven't played around much with iOS7 yet but so far, it looks good.  Who else can say they still have the same cell phone from 3 years ago?
--dweez

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »
I've had my no frills Motorola dumbphone for over 3 years.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 05:06:11 PM »
So, when we flew to WA, her phone died again. No problem, I've got my Tbolt.

Washington is very nice, it is also a rather northerly state on the US map. About as far from Mexico as you can get on the left coast.

The Tbolt decided I was in Mexico. Also, I'd had to read my books in adobe reader as kindle decided to be a poo, so I was at 20% battery life, and my phone refused to make calls because I am in Mexico.

bent around with the GPS settings for about ten minutes, and it realized I was not in Mexico, which allowed me to call for the shuttle van.

I miss my V3 razr. I still have it, on a shelf.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 09:13:51 AM »
The new place I just moved into has a dumb phone. I'm getting FiOS tomorrow (because the internet here sucks and my wireless just isn't making it past one bar) and Verizon tried to pitch a smart phone to me and my landlord when they heard that.* Verizon seemed disgruntled that we weren't having any of it. Got the dire warning about what all I would not be able to get without one. As if taking a pass on certain technologies is a life-crippling event!
I haven't had a phone in 20 years. I hate phones.

*My landlord uses the phone here as a sort of 2nd office. It's no hassle for me--except I get barraged with adverts--considering I pay no rent.
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.