Author Topic: Apple Ipad  (Read 6123 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Apple Ipad
« on: July 27, 2015, 09:31:30 AM »
Wife's 64gb second gen ipad refuses to back up, Ipad lost connection and disconnected etc.
Have trawled through internet and decided to do a restore of iOS 8.4
But after even after this restore, Itunes still will not back up.
I have the itunes media folder on a 2nd hdd. Am wondering whether I should un-install Itunes completely
and reinstall onto my main HDD (newly installed with W7).
Would this do the job ??

Any advice as I am about to use Ipad as a Frisbee soon  ;D

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Apple Ipad
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 12:56:09 PM »
After deleting 1 ipad back up al seemed well.
backed up again then stopped with same statement.
then a error
The file "iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created with a newer version of iTunes.

Seems I have to delete my Itunes library and start a fresh one. Lucky its a fresh installation and has next to nothing in, especially as it wont back up wifes ipad  ;D

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 12:38:49 AM »
I feel your pain.  I have a 1G iPad and the latest iOs it can run is 5.0, so I have to use an old computer to even load files onto it.  The iTunes I'm running on the desktop won't work with it any longer.  That really sucks that apple doesn't continue to support its older equipment.  I find the iPad rather lacking in the ability to customize or modify updates.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:46:07 AM »
I have a 1G as well. my Itunes recognises it ok and transfers ok, But Not a lot of old apps around.
I use as a reader / movie player / thats about it

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 12:55:29 PM »
For some reason, the latest version of iTunes won't allow me to locate my pdf books and load them onto any device.  I've had to resort to Google Drive for the phone and use the old computer for the iPad.  It's like Apple doesn't want us to read anymore.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 02:08:02 PM »
no idea why. Does the pad not show any warning or such ?
possibly download a pdf reader ??
running Itunes 12.2.1.16. I just drag and drop into it, wire my First gen Ipad into it and bingo alls well.

https://sites.google.com/site/appleclubfhs/support/store-searches/finding-apps-for-older-devices

use this to find older versions of apps that run on old pads.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 03:38:38 PM »
The most recent version of iTunes does NOT have a Books category, so I'm unable to load new books onto the iPad.  The most recent treat was for it to delete all the books that were on there and to arbitrarily load a couple I'd selected to delete.  This is B.S.

I just tried to add some books to the Library and they didn't take.  Then when I attempted to sync the new ones I added it simply doubled an existing book.  So now, I've got to manually move all my book files onto an old laptop and sync the iPad so I can restore the book and article files I had on there in the first place.  I'm growing to hate Apple.  It's not enough that they've got their fingers in my pockets for overpriced machines, but now they want to dictate what I can access on them, making sure they can get a piece of the contents, too.  Well they can golly off.  Next tablet I get sure as hell won't be an iPad.

Naturally, their decision not to support the software updates for their older machines makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside too.  They're turning in to the IBM of the 21st c. and that's not a compliment.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:41:27 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 04:55:33 PM »
I have to use older Apple machines to update my iPad because the new version of iTunes is set up to sell through the apple store any content you install on the iPad or the phone.  So I might as well have had a Kindle for all the flexibility and love I'm getting from the company.

I've never had this complaint before.  I have for a number of years now felt convinced that the design department was putting out less than excellent machines.  The unibody MacBookPro was a step down in terms of ergonomics, and because of that, I decided finally not to buy a laptop when I upgraded but a desktop.  The increasing lack of flexbility they are designing into their software and their machines does not bode well for the future of the company, and I've begun reading highly critical articles in tech publications like WIRED (to which I subscribe and which I think tends to have a relatively sympathetic attitude toward the company).  There's a point when the suits take over the company and the bottom line begins to erode quality.  I'm afraid that Apple is crossing that line and it disturbs me, given I've been a loyal customer since the 1980's.

Sorry to get into such a snit about this, but it's really wasted a bunch of my time & it's been a very frustrating day.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:39:45 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 04:44:03 AM »
The most recent version of iTunes does NOT have a Books category
you on a mac not windows ?
my itunes with books

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 06:07:40 AM »
...I'm growing to hate Apple.  It's not enough that they've got their fingers in my pockets for overpriced machines, but now they want to dictate what I can access on them, making sure they can get a piece of the contents, too.  Well they can golly off.  Next tablet I get sure as hell won't be an iPad.

Naturally, their decision not to support the software updates for their older machines makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside too.  They're turning in to the IBM of the 21st c. and that's not a compliment.
I totally sympathise.

But as someone famous said about democracy: It is the worst political system. Except for all the others.

If you can find a non-Apple tablet the same age as your 1G iPad that works even a tenth as well, then you are a miracle worker (of course that is partly helped because there are almost no non-Apple tablets the same age as your 1-gen iPad). What standard are you holding Apple up against? Which non-apple tablet maker has a better policy than Apple's for keeping their users secure, and up-to-date? When you find them, enjoy the experience.

If you buy a brand new non-Apple tablet you will be horrified by what you can't do with it, and how badly it stacks up against yours. The only saving grace is that you may be prepared to put up with it, warts and all, because it "isn't Apple", and you hate Apple (therefore, presumably love anything that isn't Apple).

Really - I don't particularly like Apple's attitude to five-year-old kit, but show me an Android anything that can be upgraded for more than two years. Even microsoft are cutting loose their early surfaces.

PS: The most recent version of iOS has books in a separate app for books (called "Books" or similar), so that may explain why your books don't play too well with iTunes.

PPS: Nothing Apple sells is "overpriced". It is priced at the point where it will sell - if that is too expensive for you, then you are in a different market. Same for Cartier, Rolex, Ferrari. If you can only afford Walmart, buy Walmart. Even Ferraris get punctures - Rolex watches don't have free upgrades to newer movements - good luck convincing Cartier to refurb your earrings because they aren't "this years colour".

Even Ferraris get punctures?!

Sorry to get into such a snit about this...
Not at all, you are right to be in a snit.

As I noted, I have every sympathy.

What I was trying to point out is that "hating Apple" doesn't resolve the issue that old machines are unsupported by the industry as a whole, and in fact Apple are better than most (if not all) of the competition.

... On your new topic of design, I also sympathise. I want functional not over-designed, and for decades I think Apple have over-designed, often at the cost of functionality. iOS, Mac OS X & Watch OS are the best - bar none - operating systems, but they undoubtedly could be better.

Apple, as I have mentioned elsewhere, appear to be attempting to make the computer an appliance, like a fridge, a cooker, electric knife where you buy it and it "just works" (I have to explain to my wife every so often that her phone has crashed because she flat doesn't register that it is a computer than makes phone calls) and therefore they are - to a degree - the victims of their success in that arena: we used to expect crashes and incompatibilities and stuff from our electronic equipment (and Android etc. live up to that expectation "this doesn't run on OS 'fruit bonbon', it only runs on 'liquorice allsorts' and to get 'liquorice allsorts' you have to buy a new phone"), but now they are unacceptable: no-one expects their fridge to crash.

Irritatingly I have to disagree with you on the future of Apple: I think that they will be massively successful as they sell stuff to the great unwashed mass of ignorant consumers out there, but what that means for you and me is that they are abandoning us. The small band of dedicated Apple users are being left behind - it isn't difficult to conceive of a not-too-distant future where Apple don't make actual "computers" any more, selling only watches, phones, music players, TV players, toasters, fridges, lightbulbs and cars (and, potentially "SkyNet", although personally I think that is more likely to be a Google creation - "Do no evil" my arse)

Now that I think about it my fridge is 16 yrs old and it works perfectly. But from now on, every time I open it I'll think it's going to crash any moment.  :D

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 10:59:35 AM »
My fridge worked fine until I updated Quicktime on it.
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 11:12:10 AM »
 ::) tut tut.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 11:21:51 AM »
My fridge worked fine until I updated Quicktime on it.

Same thing happened with my toaster.

If you buy a brand new non-Apple tablet you will be horrified by what you can't do with it, and how badly it stacks up against yours. The only saving grace is that you may be prepared to put up with it, warts and all, because it "isn't Apple", and you hate Apple (therefore, presumably love anything that isn't Apple).

For what it's worth: I haven't come across anything I can't do on my windows tablet that I do on my desktop, laptop or macbook (although the audio latency has to be hacked on the tablet). In fact, I now use it as a mobile office using my accountancy software to generate invoices on the fly, and I can run good quality charting software to draw up estimates and work plans while I'm having a beer in the pub.

I realise the real benefit I am seeing is the magnitude of Windows software available for it, rather than a Samsung vs Apple hardware contest, but it works very well indeed.

I can read books on it too.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 12:38:42 AM »
you on a mac not windows ?
my itunes with books

"Books" after I managed to add it appears to be a Music Playlist.  It's next to impossible to add pdf files to it, public domain or not.  I tried and managed to completely wipe the iPad clean of all music and book files.  Great.   So I took it back to the old Mac with iTunes 10.  It wouldn't let me sync it until I wiped it clean again.  It's like a lady that will only put out to one man at a time. 

I finally had to take the external HD with the Time Machine backup of the iMac and root around until I could find the files to transfer to the MacBook in order to restore the books I had in the first place via iTunes 10.  I still have to work to get more of the original files, both music and books back on the iPad.  And it's utterly hopeless to try to add books to iTunes 12.   It is simply not set up for that.  I hit the proper combination of keys to add books to the library.  Guess what?  They weren't added.  The program sucks. 

They want you to use iBooks as a separate application and sync them that way, but my 1G iPad can't run these applications.  It's stopped at iOs5.  They've stopped making updates possible.

I agree that the iPhone is like a computer you can make phone calls on.  My money is on the Chinese.  I suspect they will blow Apple out of the water in a few years, and Apple can enjoy supplying devices to Ozzie and Harriet as the rest of us will have moved on.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:41:01 AM by 6pairsofshoes »