Author Topic: Reader's Nook  (Read 80219 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Reader's Nook
« Reply #345 on: January 19, 2024, 10:31:01 PM »
Without internet,

I read every day and ignore the internet

George Elliot and similar of the era dragged the novels out, Have tried to read "period" books but Nope nor for me.
On book 18 of Cato & Macro (eagles of the empire series) and have decided to move away from this style of books, need a change

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #346 on: March 08, 2024, 05:50:41 AM »
I am finally at the end of "Eagles of the Empire" 22 book series. Have enjoyed but need a change.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #347 on: March 24, 2024, 07:57:29 AM »
I was recently stuck without internet for a couple of weeks so got in a bunch of reading.
Emile Zola:  The Belly of Paris (plot summary:  people are assholes);  The Happiness of Women (young girl from a small town has to fend for self and two younger brothers in the big city by working at a big dept store).  Both well worth reading.  They deal, respectively, with Les Halles, the Second Empire covered market that facilitated food distribution for Paris, and a large department store (grand magasin) modeled after Le Bon Marché.

Friedrich Durrenmatt; The Judge and his Hangman.  Probably best as a movie script.  I found it kind of lacking as a noir detective novel. 

Tim Powers:  Dinner at Deviant's Palace.  Recommended by a friend and a winner of the Philip K. richard prize.  It has faint reminiscences of richard's shifting reality and deals with a cult manipulated by an alien, but I prefer the darker perspective of PKD's fiction.  It was ok for a quick scifi novel.

Jonathan Karl:  Betrayal:  the last act of the Trump show.  More engaging insights into the megalomaniacal former President's inability to believe he lost the last election and his crew of enablers.  It's readable and depressing.  If Trump wins another time, I may be joining you guys across the pond.

The only Vonegut novel I read was pretty depressing.  Slaughterhouse Five.  I wasn't inspired to read anything else by him.  I just checked the plot of Harrison Bergeron and wasn't tempted.  It sounds like a downer.  He was amusing in the film, "Back to School," featuring Rodney Dangerfield and with an appearance by Oingo Boingo.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 08:01:55 AM by 6pairsofshoes »