Author Topic: Current Events  (Read 37876 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Current Events
« Reply #240 on: June 09, 2021, 07:15:08 AM »
To be honest I'm pretty shocked at the amount of people that I would consider at a higher risk (due to age) that are dodging the vaccine. Even the french contractor I've partnered isn't going to have it and I pointed out to him yesterday that what would happen if, God forbid, one of his family became ill back in France. They may not allow him to travel or make it very difficult to do so.

Someone needs to fix the world as I don't have enough glue.

Yep.  If a really deadly contagion comes along, we are basically all doomed.  This pandemic is pretty bad, but most people who catch it don't die.  It's certainly made clear how stupid we as a species are, and how short sighted.  If, in the future, some even more deadly pandemic arrives, we'll probably all die off.  And, it will be because we deserve it.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #241 on: June 10, 2021, 02:47:43 PM »
Yep.  If a really deadly contagion comes along, we are basically all doomed.  This pandemic is pretty bad, but most people who catch it don't die.  It's certainly made clear how stupid we as a species are, and how short sighted.  If, in the future, some even more deadly pandemic arrives, we'll probably all die off.  And, it will be because we deserve it.

I see this whole thing as a bit of a dry run. It could have been apocalyptic and could still be but, assuming this is about as bad as it will get, let's develop a strategy that we can roll out when ebola goes global. I mean, we've all watched or read fiction about the end of the world coming about due to a virus, so now we have the opportunity to put that nightmare in it's place, let's do just that.

On another note: my local authority want the residents' parking permit from my old van before issuing a change of vehicle one for the new one. Problem is that I forgot to take it off the windscreen when I scrapped it so I'm buggered and the council aren't helping at all.

I want to swear a lot and use the C word until it's out of fashion.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #242 on: June 10, 2021, 03:25:35 PM »
Will they take a receipt from the scrap yard?  It seems pretty crazy that they're so inflexible about this.  Sorry for the trouble.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #243 on: June 11, 2021, 12:58:36 AM »
Will they take a receipt from the scrap yard?  It seems pretty crazy that they're so inflexible about this.  Sorry for the trouble.

The van's engine was seized so it was towed away by a company that chucked me a small amount of money. They do sign the yellow part of the V5 (registration document) but you don't get a receipt as such. The council probably thinks that I'm parking 2 vehicles when I have clearly cancelled its road tax with the gubmint which would mean it could be seized and crushed if left on a public road. I feel like life is returning to its usual stubborn and unfriendly self. Maybe that's a good thing?

Christmas?

Only 2 (3 in the plural) of those letters are right.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #244 on: June 11, 2021, 03:07:42 AM »
My mom was arrested in California for not registering a car that she scrapped in NJ in 1979.

I have rarely seen my Grandpa more angry. Cops who execute warrants like that should be handed their walking papers.

Your council needs ex lax in their tea. Daily.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #245 on: June 11, 2021, 07:26:22 AM »
smokes, did you have the remainder of the vehicle crushed and sold for scrap?  This sounds like a real headache.

I remember that we had to change our drivers licenses within 14 days of moving to CA, or some such nutty amount of time.  We had valid MA licenses that had been recently renewed, if I remember correctly.  Their website is not clear about any deadlines for changing licenses or car registrations for new residents.  It just says you have to do it, but not by when.

We got new licenses (had to take a written test) and had to re-register our cars.  The DMV is pretty screwed up.  I once renewed my drivers license on line and they ate my money and didn't cough up the new license.  I had to prove that I'd paid on a credit card before they'd research their own cockup.  That took several hours and I got a newer, even uglier photo to boot.  Thanks, DMV. 

That place has a culture of incompetent bureaucracy that you can't beat with a stick.  I am simultaneously shocked and then again not surprised that they arrested your mother over the "registration non-compliance."  That's clearly an abuse of police authority.  Christ on a crutch.  They could have been out preventing theft and violent crime, but instead, choose to go harass private citizens.  That sounds like a nice case for a contingency fee law firm.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 07:32:01 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #246 on: June 12, 2021, 01:27:42 PM »
smokes, did you have the remainder of the vehicle crushed and sold for scrap?  This sounds like a real headache.

The vehicle was "sold to trade" and I suppose they make the decision whether to revive it or break it. The latter would technically be scrapping it but it would take longer than just writing it off.

I had an email that asked for all the evidence I have that I sold it so there could be someone listening.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #247 on: June 14, 2021, 01:06:35 AM »
I'd send a one line email

"Are you a human?"

Because if you're dealing with someone who only uses formal response scripts, you need to be dealing with someone else.

I do that when I have phone issues. If I get a snotty golly on the line, I hang up and dial back. If I have to be polite, so do they.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #248 on: June 14, 2021, 03:10:14 PM »
I'd send a one line email

"Are you a human?"

Because if you're dealing with someone who only uses formal response scripts, you need to be dealing with someone else.

I do that when I have phone issues. If I get a snotty golly on the line, I hang up and dial back. If I have to be polite, so do they.

I realise what they've asked for is the posted confirmation the DVLA send out to me up to 4 weeks after I advise them I am no longer the keeper.

That would be easy if it wasn't 6 weeks after I advised them and I still haaven't received this letter.

If I copped an injury tomorrow and couldn't work, it'd cost me £25 a day to park the van outside my house. And that could last 3 months.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #249 on: June 17, 2021, 12:52:29 AM »
With all the attention on the Delta strain, hardly any increase in Hospital numbers in Local Hospital, Plenty more getting jabs though

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #250 on: August 23, 2021, 03:13:07 AM »
My mother in law had her second fall since losing her husband and it transpired that she'd been coughing some blood for a while that she'd kept quiet about. In hospital they presumed it was an ulcer and she was going to start medication when she had some kind of heart failure and they had to bring her back. She's frail and they've now said that the trauma of chest compressions fractured 5 ribs so they've asked her to agree a DNR.

Holy crap! does it ever end?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #251 on: August 23, 2021, 08:00:11 AM »
My mother in law had her second fall since losing her husband and it transpired that she'd been coughing some blood for a while that she'd kept quiet about. In hospital they presumed it was an ulcer and she was going to start medication when she had some kind of heart failure and they had to bring her back. She's frail and they've now said that the trauma of chest compressions fractured 5 ribs so they've asked her to agree a DNR.

Holy crap! does it ever end?

I am sorry to hear of this, especially since the suffering sounds pretty bad. I read somewhere that some spouses do not tend to survive much longer than their mates after one dies.  My stepmother lived only a couple years after my father passed away.  It could be a coincidence but it makes me wonder if there’s anything to it

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #252 on: August 23, 2021, 09:03:14 AM »
My wife went down to see her yesterday and had a torrid time convincing the hospital to allow her in. First they said you have to book a slot which she'd forgotten to do in all the worrying, then, after her brother gave up his slot for her they said only one person a day and at a time so TNG and his sister couldn't see her.

You'd think if they convinced someone to agree a effing DNR, they'd let all the family visit them just in case.

It's easier getting a visiting order for Wormwood Scrubbs!

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #253 on: August 23, 2021, 09:24:16 AM »
I am sorry your mother in law and your family is going through all this. I must admit though, I'm not sure why they requested a DNR from her? I'm sure there's some logic there I am missing.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #254 on: August 23, 2021, 10:28:47 AM »
I am sorry your mother in law and your family is going through all this. I must admit though, I'm not sure why they requested a DNR from her? I'm sure there's some logic there I am missing.

They are saying that if they were to try chest compressions again they'd probably break every one of her ribs leaving her in agony and immovable if she did survive. It's sad but she told my wife she agreed with this as things are just not the same without Barry around. Desperate times, desperate times ...