Author Topic: GTA III  (Read 3457 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
GTA III
« on: December 05, 2016, 05:40:51 PM »
I think I'm gonna replay this classic. I was going through boxes and found the trilogy for PC. I also have it on steam, so I thought, why not make a thread?

It's amazing how this one title reshaped the gaming scene. Third person 2.5D was not a particularly new convention, but the freedom to truly go nuts was like little else before it. Even now some sandboxers get called GTA clones, and some competitors have gone down in flames trying to keep up. It's no surprise one of your missions includes killing a DRIVER named tanner.

I kinda hate what SA did to the silent protaganist, previously known as fido. Catalina went from being a black widow who betrayed him in a heist to a straight up nutbar.

I also think shoreside vale, the third island, really got short shrift. There are a couple missions around the airport, the pulse pounding finale chase, and then you're just left to sandbox it.

And the mods, holy poo were the mods awesome. golly the hot coffee controversy, and the lockdown that followed it.

I remember screwing with the cfg files by hand, nerfing some cars, making others indestructible speed demons.

And the lithjoe trainer was truly something else. Point to point teleportation, the garage editor, stoping those bless'ed countdown timers, it made the player the god of the sandbox. I remember things went sour around the SA days, there was a forced mod manager, accusations of spyware, crap like that.

But back in the GTA III days? Land of milk and honey. Or drugs and whores, as the parlance goes.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
Re: GTA III
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 04:09:34 AM »
So, I take it you have your PC up and running. How is it running? Graphics any good?

Didn't I buy you Borderlands 2? Anyway, I meant to.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 01:26:37 AM »
Budget wise I start each month $ -100, thanks to a mistake mom made, which she refuses to save towards fixing, so I won't be buying anything for myself any time soon.

Video is a 2 gig R7 courtesy of laythy, wrapped in a very large dell shell running 8 gigs of ram.

Display wise, I'm boinked for now. I've got it hooked up to my TV, but that's to a 90 degree angle from the desk. I did get the monitor to run for 10 minutes yesterday, but I haven't any clue on getting it to run faithfully. THe second I pressed the on display button to auto-adjust, it powered down and refuses to come back.

I'm on the lookout for my 360 controller dongle, but I'm not holding my breath.

[update: yes, b2 is in my library. 2nd update: I have confirmed the monitor is at the very least damaged, possibly dying.]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 03:14:19 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 03:36:37 PM »
I reckon you're a little over $110.00 away from where you need to be (monitor and dongle).

21.5” Full HD Widescreen 1920x1080 Dell Monitor $89.99 at Newegg.

I'm on the lookout for my 360 controller dongle, but I'm not holding my breath.

Wireless Receiver $18.98 at Amazon

* I take it you don't have a wired controller hiding someplace.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 07:42:41 PM »
Traded my wired controller a long time ago. Kinda regretting that now.

Found a new gta III thing! Sometimes when people honk their horn, the MC will flip them the bird.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:22:42 PM by 8ullfrog »