Author Topic: Candy.  (Read 3223 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Candy.
« on: November 23, 2016, 10:33:35 PM »
Whoppers seem to have been made a bit less like captain crunch and no longer scrape the roof of my mouth off.

Red hots are a pass, hot tamales are still awesome.

I went looking for hershey hard candy, couldn't remember the name. They were called tastetations, and were discontinued in 2000. Shows how often I eat candy.

I don't like that a lot of candy now say they are genetically engineered. It's not like they run a line of non-genetically modified version, or even asked people to vote on it. It also doesn't say what is genetically modified. Is it the lime juice? I'm going to pretend it's the lime juice. It's bad enough I learned modern red dye is crushed beetles.

So what's your vice when you can't be bothered to eat food / a sandwich would be considered rude?

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
Re: Candy.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 02:31:38 AM »
Do Krispy Kreme Glazed Mini Pies, apple and cherry with a cup of coffee count?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 03:32:16 AM »
Thank you for that clarification. I pretty much stopped reading about food additives when I got to the part where artificial vanilla flavor is extracted from beaver anuses. Not sure where I picked up the idea that crushing bugs into a paste was a modern convention.

I also hold out hope that beaver thing is somehow false.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 04:14:47 PM »
Cochineal has been used to make carmine (red) since the fifteenth century, so that is hardly "modern"!

That depends in which century one was born.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 01:33:44 AM »
Email Diamant toothpaste contains cochineal dye to make your teeth seem whiter by making your gums look more red.  It features a smiling matador on the box who says "Prenez, prenez mon dentifice."  (Buy, buy, my toothpaste.)  I don't know how long the company has been in business.

I used to buy it when I was in France.