Author Topic: Videos won't stream after updates  (Read 3870 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Videos won't stream after updates
« on: January 18, 2017, 06:03:16 AM »
I updated Java yesterday and now the site I normally use to stream tv shows won't respond. I've tried turning off adblockers, that wasn't it.  I also think I may have attempted to update Adobe FlashPlayer, but it was not necessary, so I stopped the update before it got started.  The problem seems to be isolated to Chrome, as I'm able to  on other browsers.  I've gone through the Chrome settings and don't really see anything I might change.  Sorry if this is vague. 

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Videos won't stream after updates
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 03:31:31 PM »
This is a real old chestnut of a problem with Chrome, and I don't think there is a confirmed fix for the vast majority of users. The only thing I have read that others have tried with some degree of success, is to switch audio devices or disabling and re-enabling the playback device as the driver can get stuck and needs to be reloaded. Something along the "audio" lines, anyhow.

Of course, this is a Windows fix.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 02:38:48 AM »
It seems to have been the adblocking software, so I turn it off and back on when I finally get the vids loaded.  This is very odd, since the adblock software had no updates and somehow it began to be a problem.  This suggests there may have been some interaction between two programs that caused the problem.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 02:28:05 PM »
It seems to have been the adblocking software, so I turn it off and back on when I finally get the vids loaded.  This is very odd, since the adblock software had no updates and somehow it began to be a problem.  This suggests there may have been some interaction between two programs that caused the problem.

You're lucky. That rarely works.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 09:49:08 PM »
The AdBlock software might not have been updated but did one of the filter lists it uses get update?
--dweez

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 12:05:27 AM »
I'm not really sure what happened.
I began but then stopped to download Flash Player when I realized that Chrome had automatically updated it so it wasn't necessary.  I did update Java.  I am also pretty sure that I tried relaunching the browser, resetting the parameter ram, and clearing the browsing data from the past week.  Nothing worked until I paused AdBlock.  I had done nothing to update AdBlock.

The affected site is one that allows you to stream tv shows, watchtv.to.  Without pausing AdBlock, I just get an image of the tv program as if a DVD box, but no listings for the individual seasons or episodes.  These, and the related links, appear only when AdBlock is paused.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 12:00:19 PM »
I quit using AdBlock a while back (using Disconnect and uBlock Origin instead) so I can't check it myself but I'll bet you one of the filter lists updated and either watchtv.to or whatever specific URL the video feed was from found it's way to the list.
--dweez