Author Topic: Taking a knee.  (Read 6778 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Taking a knee.
« on: September 27, 2017, 10:00:24 AM »
Maybe I'm just missing the current events section, or the site is more civil than the reality show nuclear meltdown of reality that merely hides in fear of the orange cheeto.

And we're only in season 1 of the show no one will cancel!

But as ipecac as it may seem, I found an issue I agree with gold toilet on.

The NFL recieves a shitton of money from the military to engage in pagentry patriotic. And these gits trade their health for millions in short term gains. They destroy themselves physically for hooting jackininies, but hey, that's "winning"trademark.

So kaepernick putting himself out of a job does not bother me. But the spate of fookin kneelers just seems bandwagony, like the bless'ed macerena. Like it's less a protest, and more wanting to be seen doing something, without actually doing something.

But hey, I run my mouth enough for sir twenty goodmen, what do you think?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Taking a knee.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 10:13:32 AM »
There is a macarena-like faddishness to it, certainly.  But it's a way of expressing frustration that racism still is very much embedded in American society.  So taking the knee is sort of like some kind of affirmation of a belief in equality.  It's kind of like lauding motherhood.  Who wants to go against an expression of the desire to promote an end to racial discrimination?

I am on FB and find the daily gnashing of teeth sort of tiresome.  So I get where you're coming from.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 07:25:41 PM »
Seems like #takeaknee is little about quelling racism and a lot about hating Trump, last weekend was just the latest opportunity to express that hatred.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 10:42:10 PM »
I watched football to get away from daily politics. I'm done with the NFL. I'll watch college ball until they start protesting.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 11:22:34 AM »
I watched football to get away from daily politics. I'm done with the NFL. I'll watch college ball until they start protesting.

Exactly, bunch of goons that are doing nothing to combat the issue aside from pissing people off. The owners are terrified of public perception and the slight possibility that they may appear to be politically incorrect.  ::)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 06:53:23 PM »
I find the whole patriotism before sporting events weird.  We don't all say the pledge of allegiance before other group events, like an Insane Clown Posse concert or the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest, so what's the deal with the sports games?  I think it began with baseball in the U.S.  This article explains it.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/us/nfl-national-anthem-trump-kaepernick-history-trnd/index.html 
And here's a quick synopsis:
Here's a fascinating fact: The national anthem was played at baseball games decades before it was actually the national anthem. There are records of "The Star Spangled Banner" gracing the diamond going back as far as 1897, but the song wasn't adopted as the national anthem until 1931.
... After World War II, the commissioner of the NFL at the time, Elmer Layden, made a specific plea to keep the anthem as a game-day tradition.
"The playing of the national anthem should be as much a part of every game as the kickoff," he said. "We must not drop it simply because the war is over. We should never forget what it stands for."

I don't usually attend sporting events.  I'd rather be a participant instead of a spectator.  But as for being patriotic when a right wing ideologue is in the White House?  I do it by taking to the streets and demonstrating my opposition to his un-American activities.  I write my Congresswomen, and I vote with my wallet.  I won't patronize businesses that advocate taking rights away from women or minorities. 

And I hope to God that Kim Jong Un has more common sense than that bully in the White House because my house is pretty close to Korea, relatively speaking.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 04:42:47 AM »
Alright, poo, now I have to explain what I meant, which means I bent up on the first attempt.

The NFL gets paid a fuckton of money for the pagentry. Supposedly it's good for recruitment. I find it gross, and wish that funding would dry up.

But if you pull poo at work that disrupts the job, you should realize there are a lot of hungry people who would gladly take your job.

I once got laid off for bleeding. Customer complained, and California is an at will state.

I hate gold toilet, I voted against him, and live in fear of how he will hurt our country next. Ledgers joker would at least try to make it entertaining, as we all die screaming.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 09:24:42 AM »
Ouch, and yet...

But I specifically meant they get a payout from the department of defense. From what I've read, stats only go back to 2015.

Records are spotty, but apparently it isn't as bad as I thought it was.

I was thinking it was in the 200 million range, but apparently it topped out at "only" 15 million, but this was once again, blind federal spending. Who knows how much money fell off trucks?

That being said, in 2016, the NFL sent back DOD money in the high 700 thousand range. 768k by my reading.

Since this isn't school and I'm not getting paid, these numbers are from google.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 09:30:27 AM »

I don't usually attend sporting events.  I'd rather be a participant instead of a spectator.  But as for being patriotic when a right wing ideologue is in the White House?  I do it by taking to the streets and demonstrating my opposition to his un-American activities.  I write my Congresswomen, and I vote with my wallet.  I won't patronize businesses that advocate taking rights away from women or minorities. 

Like the guy or not, if there was 100% unity among the players taking a knee, absolutely nothing would change on the streets. If you are taking action rather than throwing out symbols of rebellion then you are on the right track, NFL players however, are not.

And I hope to God that Kim Jong Un has more common sense than that bully in the White House because my house is pretty close to Korea, relatively speaking.

Hmmm, You don't see this issue as Un over-stepping his boundaries? Common sense? That was lost when he began firing missiles over allied territory. Trump's retaliatory threats are most certainly grade school, but it isn't Trump that has initiated this stand-off, Un has been preparing his arsenal for years and regardless of who is POTUS, he clearly hates the US.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 04:57:41 PM »
--dweez

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 06:18:36 PM »
But regarding the "Take a Knee" protest it is achieving its goal in getting people talking which is a difficult thing to do in an atmosphere where any criticism of the President is seen as unpatriotic...

Problem is that no one is talking about the issue at hand, the topic is now comprised of either hating Trump and defying his words, or supporting Trump and blasting the NFL.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 10:04:03 PM »
I think that Trump fusses about anything and everything.  Frankly, I generally ignore him.  He's a grumpy old man.

There's no question that Kim Jong Un is utterly ruthless and unreliable in terms of any agreements he pretends to reach with the West.  If China finds him annoying, they can shut him down at once. 

Trump has no clue how to conduct international diplomacy.   When you have a foaming at the mouth madman threatening people, one good rule of thumb isn't to threaten that you can kick his ass, it's to try to isolate and contain him, not goad him. 

I see Kim Jong Un as a sort of wild animal, who by virtue of his birth, came into power at the head of a totalitarian state where he simply resolves any conflict by having his enemies killed.  This is not a guy you threaten or reason with.  It's someone you defeat by stealth and distraction.  Trump is an overgrown bully who just insults anyone he dislikes.  That's not a great way to deal with conflict, on the playground or the international stage.  As a diplomat or a national leader he's essentially incompetent.  That's why I hope he remains in office for the rest of his term.  The Vice President is infinitely more scary to me.

Incidentally, Sports Illustrated devoted this Trump vs NFL business to its front page in the latest issue.  Those guys get paid to play football the same way that actresses get paid to be in movies.  So lots of people get pissed off when some actress or another uses the platform of the Oscars to make some political speech instead of just thanking the people who made it possible.  I see the protests at the NFL in a similar vein.  These are men with a broad public following.  They, too, use their public platform to make a political statement.  I'm not commenting on the relative merits of statement per se, but many people are agitated about this, some very strongly support it while others find it an inappropriate disgrace.

And I suspect football has a short future ahead given the damage it inflicts on players.  The more we know about it, and its neurological consequences, the more problematic it will become to support.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 03:20:13 AM »
Incidentally, Sports Illustrated devoted this Trump vs NFL business to its front page in the latest issue.  Those guys get paid to play football the same way that actresses get paid to be in movies.  So lots of people get pissed off when some actress or another uses the platform of the Oscars to make some political speech instead of just thanking the people who made it possible.  I see the protests at the NFL in a similar vein.  These are men with a broad public following.  They, too, use their public platform to make a political statement.  I'm not commenting on the relative merits of statement per se, but many people are agitated about this, some very strongly support it while others find it an inappropriate disgrace.

I'm on the agitated side of the aisle. Just play football. It's supposed to be a sport. Politics are unnecessary. I'm through with the NFL. I may start watching headball.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 07:21:56 AM »
Armed with a never-ending gift for laughing at inappropriate things, and without endorsing any of the sentiments involved in its creation, I present:

Police forces across America are replacing their sirens with speakers that play the National Anthem. Suspects now stop running to take the knee.

That's hilarious!  ;D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 04:08:24 PM »
I remember when South Africa was banned from world sporting activities which was a political decision on the part of the varying world sports councils at a time when South Africa had apartheid at the centre of its political heart...

I am sure that a combination of pressures brought to bear in both sporting and commercial embargoes against South Africa played their parts in the abolition of apartheid which today we view as a good thing...

Sometimes the only way to get a political message across is to take action in high visibility arena`s like sports...

Sports and Apartheid in S.A was a muddled issue. Right back when Peter Hain spearheaded the anti South African rugby and cricket tours, people seemed more offended by the movement than apartheid. It didn't stop our cricket team touring there either and let's not even mention Nike's behaviour throughout that period.

Sometimes a campaign that uses sport as its vessel can lose or even reverse its impetus. Fans tend to get the arse when their fun is interrupted.

I remember when Donald Woods returned to South Africa a while after Mandela's release and the breaking down of apartheid. When he interviewed a member of the Government (I can't remember who) and asked why apartheid was ending and was it to do with sanctions etc, the official replied that it wasn't to do with that and was rather that they now saw apartheid as a "sin". Complete cowpoo of course as they already had Satan in their ranks who was known as Eugene Terreblanche. He quite liked a sin or 3.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 06:20:21 PM »
Aww, poor downtrodden football players.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 09:05:23 PM »
Yeah, it didn't work. Viewership is down 33%.

Smokes has the right of it, Americans were watching football to get away from the political cowpoo, and clearly don't approve of this development.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 04:36:28 PM »
I think the NFL has been in decline for a generation, in part, because young people are averse to any kind of entertainment that takes that long.  The severe brain injuries aren't helping.  There was an extreme football league that was floated as a marketing device aimed at a younger demographic in 2001 but it didn't really go anywhere.   

Those die hard fans who watch for sports entertainment are not typically the sort to embrace the kinds of political statements that are considered "liberal" or left.  That said, I'd like to see VP Pence get madam slapped hard for wasting taxpayer money to go to Indiana just to shun a football game in order to back up the toddler in the White House.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:38:13 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 08:50:52 AM »
Pence is from Indiana, both he and the 2nd lady are long time Colts fans.

Looks like the movement is now coming to a close, only 17 players took a knee on Sunday with 13 of those belong to 49ers. Miami and Dallas have both made it mandatory for players to stand while allowing players to remain in the locker room while the national Anthem plays. Others will likely follow suit, which is well within their rights as private businesses are not subject to the confines of the 1st amendment.

I believe their cause is good and I truly hope these players continue to unite and use their millions to help create change in communities across the US.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 02:39:38 PM »
Pence had no intention of staying for the game, given he was scheduled to go to another event in Los Angeles the same day, and he told his press detail not to come inside, another indication that he did not plan to attend the game.  He's been largely criticized across the board for this stunt.  He can do whatever partisan crap gladdens his corrupt little heart, but please don't do it at my expense.  He was elected to govern, and I'd appreciate it if he'd actually do that.

I don't think much of the Colts after they abandoned Baltimore, but Indiana got what they deserved with those guys.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 03:21:26 PM »
I think the NFL has been in decline for a generation, in part, because young people are averse to any kind of entertainment that takes that long.  The severe brain injuries aren't helping.  There was an extreme football league that was floated as a marketing device aimed at a younger demographic in 2001 but it didn't really go anywhere.   

It's on the up here with dedicated shows on the BBC and Sky, plus regular NFL clashes at Wembley stadium.

I don't think I'll ever be able to talk-the-talk of American football as I wouldn't know where to begin, but at least after this debate I know who Colin Kaepernick is.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 09:24:51 PM »
I'm pretty much hopeless in terms of my general knowledge of football, although I think it bears a distant relationship to soccer.  I have played soccer.  It's fun.  Football is something else entirely and the idea of getting tackled isn't particularly appealing, although from what I've seen on Harry Enfield, soccer also has the capacity for violence.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 11:33:03 PM »
A few presidents back, and before he started his political career, Al Franken said that reality in the news tends to have a liberal bias, and that sports reporting has a massive, yet inconsequential right wing bias. And then he laughed and laughed.

I don't think the point of the initial protest was to damage the brand, but that sure as poo is going to be the outcome.