Author Topic: Harvey w  (Read 10393 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Harvey w
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2017, 10:38:46 AM »
I wasn't aiming at that particularly, I was attempting to point out that there is a difference between flirtation and harassment, but that no-one knows where it is: this position is made infinitely more of an issue when there is a power disparity between the parties.
... using any "power" that is obtained is a natural consequence: the ability to use power is one of the prime reasons (maybe at bottom the only reason) for seeking to obtain it. Having that power used on you is unpleasant, and is currently defined as "abuse".

There is no question that there are muddy areas between flirtation and harassment.  The problem comes in when one must draw hard clear lines, as would be required of any kind of juridical situation.  The latter may strike  you as arbitrary, but I'd argue that it's well nigh impossible to do otherwise.  The subjectivity involved in such draftsmanship is thicker than a custard.

As for the second point?  It seems a bit of an overgeneralization, one that throws the baby out with the bathwater.  There are enlightened and then despotic exercises of power.  Not all fit the characteristic of abuse, simply because such power is wielded upon subordinates.  The problem comes when the exercise is solely to satisfy the will of the wielder to the clear detriment of the subordinate.  There's plenty of unambiguous examples of such abuse that have little to nothing to do with sex.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2017, 04:44:26 AM »
In my opinion this whole "power corrupts" is not the issue here.
If Harvey and co were janitors then would this have happened, I think not 8)
Due to the position / power he thought he could get away with it.
But hey ho we will see what happens.
Even Dustin is now involved

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2017, 07:52:05 AM »
Netflix has dropped Kevin spacey

Weinstein may be arrested by the nypd...but it's unlikely ... people are waiting for this to die down. I guess we'll see if it does.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 08:16:26 AM »
The show just go's on and on.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 12:12:13 PM »
George Bush Snr 'groped 16-year-old girl' during 2003 photo op
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41974116
"A Bush spokesman has previously acknowledged he has touched several women on the rear"

;D ;D ;D ;D