Author Topic: Linux  (Read 5146 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Linux
« on: October 21, 2017, 12:09:49 AM »
Well Ubuntu 17.10, Artful Aardvark (where do they get these names  ;D ;D) is released.
Gone is the Unity desktop ( a Marmite desktop for all ) and gnome is the man stay, although nearly any other desktop variety is available.
Tried a live session on my old samsung notebook and it was fast , pick up all the necessary drivers and ran (in live session) great.
Only thing is I love Mint KDE and am deciding whether to install Ubuntu or stay with mint  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
Re: Linux
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:30:43 AM »
I say go for it and keep us posted on your review. The good thing is that you can always switch back with minimal effort.

I'd give it a whirl myself but I'm loving Win 10 on my Surface Pro's and my desktop, still have two Mac Pro's but they sitting idle ATT. I do have a Dell business laptop that I have bastardized multiple times, it would likely be a good candidate, I think it currently has Win 10/Mint. 

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:24:52 AM »
time restraints atm and new bicycle to be bought first

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 10:03:04 AM »
time restraints atm and new bicycle to be bought first

Kinda same boat here, trying to get as much done outdoors before the cold sets in. I am interested in this though and may have some time myself in the next few weeks.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 05:23:52 PM »
Mint is based off Ubuntu and Debian anyway so I say just stay with what makes you happy. Running it Live now and then should be enough. It's all pretty much the same under the hood. If you just want to do it to "explore", I installed the development 17.10 a  couple months ago and it [fixt] isn't [fixt] really much of a different experience.

After typing that, I realize I might not be able to give you the review you want/need as my install is a VM and I use X2Go to remote into it (VMs run in local console tend to be klunky) and I currently use Mate as my dwm.

So...yeah, ignore my post.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:24:35 PM by dweez »
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 08:10:28 AM »
installed on an old hdd on laptop.
 Ubuntu / Kubuntu ran pretty quickly and has certainly improved from the last time I used it.
But I returned to Mint KDE

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 08:44:04 AM »
Correction to my previous post. "and it is really much of a different experience." should be "isn't really much of a different experience".
--dweez

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 07:23:38 PM »
You do know there is an edit button, right?

Yeah, but as the post had moved on already, I thought it better to post again as to bring attention to the correction. I'll edit the original now.
--dweez