General Category > Food and Drink

What are you eating / What did you eat.

(1/139) > >>

8ullfrog:
I know this section is pretty much me, so I've decided to cut down on threads and just post the meals, unless it's batshit insane, like the mint French toast.

So tonight I used the toaster oven to make hot dogs. They were gross, and I won't do that again.

Specifically, I cooked the hot dogs first, and that LOOKED fine, then I toasted the bun, then put them together for a third light toaster ovening, then added ketchup and mustard-relish. It's like, a jar, and they mixed mustard and relish.

https://www.bgpickles.com/product/hot-dog-relish

WOW that is a big and accurate image. I think I like it? Like I didn't, this time, but it seems like a condiment I would enjoy normally?

It just... sucked. The relish went through the bottom of the toasted hot dog bun and it was messier than a hot dog should be.

I never realized what high standards I have for stupid hot dogs. I mean they're hot dogs.

6pairsofshoes:
I'm eating Crunchmaster crackers.

My grandmother and I made relish once.  We went out to the garden and picked green and red bell peppers.  If you pour hot water over them after cutting them, it helps draw off the bitterness.  You have to change the water a couple of times.  Otherwise, it took some chopped onions and pickling spice, vinegar and sugar.  The relish was delicious.  We canned it.  Red peppers are just green peppers that stay on the plant longer.  The colors were gorgeous, like some kind of confetti you laid over the hot dogs or as a condiment to be mixed with potato salad.

8ullfrog:
That Relish story is fantastic, and I have nothing to compare it to.

Closest I get is grandpa showed me how to load a gallo salami slice and square of cracker barrel on a ritz and shove it in that very same toaster oven. It's the one thing I asked for when my grandma moved back to the east coast. She'd been using it as a plant stand.

I remember those cracker snacks fondly. Funny enough, I can't stand ritz crackers in any other circumstance.

6pairsofshoes:
I'm on a marmalade making binge. 

I've never made cucumber pickles, but those sound pretty intriguing.  The relish is a sort of pickle.  I did make pickled watermelon rind but it didn't turn out so great.

Your ritz concoction sounds lovely, particularly because you have such nice food memories of your grandparents associated with them.  My grandmother had me help make cookies and preserves and it was always such a pleasure to hang out with her.  She always had cake for visitors.  Her pound cake was wonderful.  She'd bake two loaves and freeze one so there was always one stashed away in case you got a hankering for some.

8ullfrog:
Sadly, El Amigo has disappointed me.

I rarely have the dosh to eat out, so picking up an order of Carne Asada fries is at best, a monthly proposition.

Well, The order has increased by one Dollar, the portion has decreased by I would say one Dollar, and the guac and sour cream are doled out in a stingy amount.

Even the hot sauces have been messed with, and you don't mess with Red or Green sauce.

I guess I'll just go with a Carne Asada burrito in future, but to be honest, the whole experience has soured me on the restaurant. They've been my old reliable since 2015, and it's a damn shame they got greedy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version