Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 62250 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2020, 04:14:51 PM »
I've had rather a lot of chocolate, beer and crisps today. This is mainly as I have had some loungin' time here and there.

That kind of foodstuff is great while you're eating it, but you invariably feel poo afterwards.

Come back cabbage, all is forgiven!
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2020, 07:09:59 PM »
I'm back on my keto diet so I had a roast beef/chicken wrap (low-carb tomato tortilla, spinach, mont. jack cheese, and brown mustard). Pretty tasty.
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #227 on: September 16, 2020, 09:24:01 PM »
Mom made a fantastic broccoli/noodle/cheese/chicken dish.

I love when I have no input and she hits it out of the park, it's a delicious surprise. This one started savory, and then kicked me in the ass with spicy, I was truly impressed.

Unfortunately, when I asked for instructions if I want to make this later, it was pretty much a shrug. She used what she had on hand to make dinner.

I figure I've complained about her mistakes enough I owe her some praise here.

As far as I can tell, it was broccoli florets over elbow noodles, chunked up chicken I assume she steamed and seasoned, the cheese sauce and the spicy are a void. We've got cheese, we've got spicy stuff, I think I tasted Worcestershire sauce in there, which kicks broccoli right in the ass, high recommend there.

I think the Worcestershire sauce was a surprise because she usually just uses that for burgers. Her experimenting is heartening. I think I've mentioned it before, but when I came back from NJ, she just ate crappy frozen dinners. It's nice to see her be alive.

As to the sauce, the reason it's a black hole is I KNOW she didn't mix a bechamel. Because I joke about that with her all the time. "First make a bechamel" has led to oven mittens being thrown at my head many a time.

Still, whatever it was, it was nice. And white. Definitely not an alfredo, she DESPISES alfredo.

Either way, it's nice to feel happy after dinner. Times are rough, and any levity is a treat.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #228 on: September 19, 2020, 01:29:52 PM »
That sounds tasty.  I am eating potato chips for the salt.  And washing them down with cold seltzer. 

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #229 on: November 20, 2020, 02:56:27 PM »
There's a French grocery chain called Super-U and they make some really good Chicken Bolognese pasta sauce.

We are having it over some linguini tonight.  Simple to prepare and relatively little fuss over the whole business.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #230 on: November 24, 2020, 06:03:34 AM »
We stopped by a local barbeque place last night on the way home.  They only had fried chicken on the menu, so I ordered some.  Wow.  Talk about unclear on the concept.  It's like they took out some of yesterday's leftover barbeque chicken leg and submerged it in hot oil until it was hard, overcooked and lacking in any flavor besides old greasy chicken.  Even on a bad day, KFC beats this hands down.

Normally, fried chicken in the US has some kind of breading on it:  usually, it's dipped in egg batter and then rolled in salt & pepper seasoned flour before frying, and it's raw to begin with.  Not this stuff. 

We'll go to our regular place on Thanksgiving and get a carryout meal.  The helpings are more generous and you can actually eat everything you get without wanting to throw it out as soon as possible.   So we are grateful that this is an option.  The frozen Butterball turkeys here run around $60.  So that ain't happening.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #231 on: December 22, 2020, 04:41:34 PM »
We have found decent frozen quiches in the local supermarket chain.  There's leek and another kind:  vegetables of the sun.  I'm translating from the French.   The latter was for dinner tonight.  We were too tired for anything else.  It's kind of like ratatouille:  yellow pepper, onion, zucchini, tomatoes.  Very tasty.  It's not as overladen with cheese as the quiche (this one is called a tarte).

Anyway, a half hour from frozen solid to the dinner plate.  It makes me feel less guilty than a frozen pizza would.  The traffic here is a complete nightmare as everyone has to take a few roads to go anywhere.  This is exacerbated by the fact that everyone seems to be holiday shopping.  And although there are small local buses, it's kind of like a comic movie trying to go anywhere.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #232 on: December 23, 2020, 08:48:20 AM »
There's a French grocery chain called Super-U and they make some really good Chicken Bolognese pasta sauce.
I remember them from my holidays

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #233 on: January 10, 2021, 11:16:25 AM »
Stopped by a local hole in the wall today and got some fabulous chicken barbeque.  The habit is to give you enough to eat for 3 days in a single container under the guise of a meal.  Peas and rice, salads, and "dog sauce" (a vinaigrette based onion, pepper, parsley & celery condiment).  I barely made a dent in it.  There's easily enough for us to have dinner and another meal from this.  The price?  $13 because I asked for a second piece of chicken.  Otherwise, $10.  I'll be back.  These places have no name, they just have a tiny niche with a food truck (on blocks) and space for a grill and a small steam table. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #234 on: March 04, 2021, 06:37:01 PM »
I was going to make chili fries tonight but mom is visiting a friend, and I hate both gluttony and food waste. (Also food storage, I hate storing the food)

(Don't much mind opening the containers back up again.)

We have a bunch of hot dogs in the freezer, so I just thawed and cooked two of em in the toaster oven, tossed some mild shredded cheddar on top and some brown mustard.

Nothing fancy but they turned out okay.

I miss Johnsonville bratwurst, those things cook up a lot more nicely than random hot dogs.

Ah well, I can always make the chili fries tomorrow.

On the plus side, I may not know what brand these dogs were, but they were decent, and not disgusting.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #235 on: March 18, 2021, 05:37:43 AM »
Cup of Yorkshire tea and some nice granary bread with butter and apricot jam.  I need the caffeine, but I don't know if it will work.  Maybe I should just switch to an I.V.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #236 on: March 18, 2021, 07:56:31 AM »
Cup of Yorkshire tea and some nice granary bread with butter and apricot jam.  I need the caffeine, but I don't know if it will work.  Maybe I should just switch to an I.V.

granary bread my fav

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #237 on: April 07, 2021, 11:42:11 PM »
Covid has seriously sapped any food attempts.

I put cheese and tabasco on top of a fairly crap hamburger helper. Woo.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #238 on: April 08, 2021, 11:01:52 AM »
Covid has seriously sapped any food attempts.

My missus signed up to Oddbox thinking that if it all went tits up again at least we'd have something delivered. She was meant to cancel them at least 3 boxes ago but keeps forgetting, so now every time one arrives I have to create dish upon dish to get rid of the stuff.  Last night I did a vegetable bake (potatoes, parsnips, carrots, purple broccoli and courgettes) that was coooked in a gorgonzola sauce. Before I poured the sauce in I fried a leek and a spanish onion in olive oil, paprika and cayenne. I scattered this over the top of the par-boiled veg before adding the sauce and topping it with cheddar before baking. I made the sauce myself with some Italian gorgonzola and added some finely chopped parsley just to lift it a little.

Most of us had seconds and there's half left for tonight.

And only half the Oddbox left for something else I have to invent.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #239 on: May 03, 2021, 11:54:31 PM »
Turbo carb hell.

Mom bought a five pound bag of tater tots a while back. At the time it seemed prudent, like maybe toss a few in the toaster oven for a snack.

Nah, carb fat overload. Now I'm not saying we ate five friggin pounds of tato, it was more a knockoff of this:
https://www.oldelpaso.com/recipes/tater-taco-casserole

I got it off the facebook. We already had chili made, and I figured this is just the reverse of an old go to dinner, tater tots with chili on top.
We had some frozen corn in the freezer that was begging to be put out of it's misery, so we dumped that in the chili.

So instead of tater tots covered in chili, we had chili covered in tater tots.

And mom made a cake.

So turbo cab hell, and mom says she's never buying tater tots again.

Oh, the cheese was mozzarella instead of cheddar because we had mozzarella, not cheddar.

So I guess if you wanted to reproduce this recipe, you'd make a chili to your own specs, toss some corn in it, top with tots, then top that with a light dusting of mozerella. Tots and Moz was actually pretty good, and we'd probably be a lot less full if we stuck to that.

We completely forgot the sour cream and olives. We had both, but just forgot. That's probably for the best.