Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 63610 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #270 on: July 06, 2021, 06:43:39 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear about this misadventure.  There's nothing so frustrating as spending money on a dish and then having it suck, but feeling guilty and obligated to consume the rest of it.  I generally try to scarf it down, but there have been times when, despite the cost, I've tossed the lot of it into the compost bin.

I have been buying salsas from Frontera, the Rick Bayless company.  They're quite good.  He's on tv and often comes across as a pompous twit, but he's the real deal.  He knows of what he speaks.  I have made recipes from him before to good effects.  He has this recipe that seems pretty inexpensive and decent, although it most likely requires a blender or food processor.  If you don't have one, maybe Freecycle or craigslist might be a place to pick one up free or cheap.  https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/red-chile-enchiladas-with-chicken-and-melted-cheese/

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #271 on: July 07, 2021, 07:16:24 AM »
I am not a great fan of eating lobster, but I was in Maine with the mrs., and we agreed that one had to eat lobster in Maine, if one was ever to eat it. So, we found a pleasant looking restaurant that advertised lobsters for something like $5 a pop (it was a long time ago). We sat down and they gave me an unpriced list of things to eat, most of which were boiled lobster, but I spotted a dish that looked like I would enjoy it even if I left the lobster, with garlic and mushrooms and stuff (they called it Lobster Thermidor for those that know about these things). It arrived, and it was disgusting. I gagged on the first mouthful and left everything after the second mouthful. The bill was about $80, with the mrs's food contributing $5 and beer $5.

... but I can now honestly say that I have eaten lobster in Maine. Oddly I had a "lobster-burger" in the local (BarHarbor?) MacDonalds and it was ten times better - probably because no lobsters were harmed in its manufacture!

Lobster rolls are delicious.  I haven't eaten "Lobster Thermidor" but I generally don't like dishes that mix up crustacean meat with other additives.  Crab cakes with a little cracker meal as a binder is about all I'm willing to put up with.  Boiled lobster dipped in a little butter is the best.  I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience -- that sounds like a tourist trap restaurant.  But lobster (which used to be a modest, peasant type food) is one of the pricier items you can order at American restaurants.  Most of the time, I've just bought live ones and tortured them to death by boiling.  There's nothing pretty or kind about prepping crabs and lobsters.  You just have to accept your place in the food chain and get on with it.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #272 on: July 07, 2021, 08:18:00 AM »
Re: Lobster Thermidor
It's a dish in the sims?

Actually, it's a pretty good dish in the sims, since it makes everyone at your dinner party impressed.

I may have already mentioned my rather explosive aversion to seafood, but I never understood the attraction to shrimp (Poop filter) Clam (Snot) (also poop filter) Lobster (Sea Cockroach) or crab (Sea Spider, carrion eater)

When I was a kid, I'd beg my mom to tell me when she wanted to eat shrimp, so that I could vacate the apartment. That stench was incredible. People who enjoy seafood have no problem with it, to me? Boiling stench.

Lobster Thermidor is essentially a "Stunt food". It's a grilled cheese on stench. I'm wondering if it was the wine sauce or giant bug that repulsed you. And I *like* most wine sauces. I just imagine that one is obnoxious.

A lot of french food is fantastic. But some of it is regurgitated dog woof.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #273 on: July 07, 2021, 03:05:40 PM »
Both, but the cockroach meat was slightly more palatable than the sauce. Where "more palatable" is not the right phrase at all.

I'm not sure it was a tourist trap, to be honest, but anyone with any sense would have stuck to $5 lobster. I'm just an idiot.

8ully, you sound like you may have an allergy to iodine, which is prevalent in most of those shellfish/crustaceans. I grew up crabbing and fishing, so these foods are highly desirable to me, but it sounds like pure hell to you.  chris, we all know that you are far from an idiot, but I felt like quoting that just so it wouldn't disappear. 

I'm generally reluctant to spend tons of money in restaurants unless it's a special occasion.  Those have occurred much less frequently in the past couple of years, mostly because of COVID.  Shelling out a ton of money for a good meal when I could prep one at home makes me reluctant to experiment with unknown restaurants.  We spent a good deal in April for a beach side meal that was sort of disappointing.  Last time we were in Maine was off season at Bailey Island, which was beautiful although cold.

There was a restaurant like the one you describe there.  Not cheap, but at least it was decent.  Cheese and seafood seems like a weird combo to me for some reason. 

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #274 on: July 11, 2021, 09:43:41 AM »
Ok, I've never had lobster.  I cannot take the smell of crab unless its minced and smothered in cream cheese. 
I had to spit the sushi out a couple weeks ago.  What an appalling flavor of raw fish, 😳
I like breaded processed fish that slightly tasts of fish. 
I also like my mothers way to bake tilapia.
I'm sure I've just not had the pleasure of delicious sea food, at least I've had killer fried catfish though.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #275 on: July 15, 2021, 11:39:07 PM »
Mileage may vary sandwich.

I fully admit to some people this sandwich may be revolting or disgusting. But I very much enjoyed it.

Ingredients:
2 slices potato bread
Some butter (light)
4 Salami slices, quartered. (I used kitchen scissors.)
2 slices swiss cheese, cut in half lengthwise
Some horseradish sauce, not to be confused with jarred horseradish.

Pre-toast the bread slightly in toaster oven so that butter spreads instead of punching a knife through the bread

Take 1/2 slice of swiss cheese lengthwise, place across lightly buttered bread
Place 6 - 8 salami wedges along the bread, festively. Cover with second half slice of swiss.

Repeat on second slice of bread, toast to desired done-ness
Spoon or apply light line of horseradish paste over grilled sandwich to give it a kick, then fold the sandwich shut.

Serve.

I have some butter I need to use up. I've got English Muffins, but decided to toss some salami in the toaster oven for old times sake.

Swiss was just a matter of FIFO (First in, first out), it could have easily been muenster.

I suppose you could gussy the sandwich up to something presentable, but why?

I haven't been mentioning dinners for a while, it's mostly been lazy salads and boiled vegetable. One night mom got a teriyaki sauce to put on the vegetables, that was nice.

She's off for a bit, so Dog and I must fend for ourselves.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #276 on: July 25, 2021, 03:23:36 PM »
I chopped a bunch of vegs for soup that I'll cook tomorrow.

Made some guacamole to eat with corn chips and, since I was in a veg. chopping mood, I figured I'd procrastinated long enough so I made some Pikliz.  I got invited into the kitchen of our fav. Haitian carryout place because they'd run out so I got to watch them make it. I didn't add Adobo, which I saw them sprinkle on it, because we didn't have any.  I will see how this works out and make adjustments.

2 c shredded cabbage, a cup of grated carrot, a small shallot minced, juice of a hefty lime, a smashed cube of Maggi chicken broth, a fat half teaspoon of salt and a third of a cup of vinegar.  One whole clove (the little tree buds that you buy in the spice section).  Oh, and a third of a minced scotch bonnet pepper.  That little thing packs a punch.  I cut it into tiny pieces and know that any more than a third would send us running for water or milk, so I left it at what could pass for mild pain in the mouth. 

Pikliz is basically a pickled Haitian cole slaw that you have to leave sitting in the fridge for a few days before it's done.  I'll check in when it's finished.  It's usually delicious and refreshing.  It's getting hot around here these days so it's a welcome side dish.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #277 on: July 26, 2021, 04:05:03 AM »
With the Pikliz, are you waiting for enzymes to break down? Or is it like Ceviche, where the citrus "cooks" the other ingredients?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #278 on: July 26, 2021, 11:07:20 AM »
I expect that the acids (vinegar and lime juice) combined with the salt help to break down the crunchy cabbage and carrot/shallot and infuse the flavors.  It's basically a light pickle, so you can eat it right away or let it sit a few days as the recipes suggest.

We had some for lunch today and it was fine.  The grater I have here is very fine so the "carrot rapé" was more finely grated that I'd have liked, but it worked.  Not bad flavor.  It's cheap to make and pretty fresh tasting on a hot day.  We had some as a side with a sandwich.

I'm making veg. soup with some cabbage in it.  I'm beginning to understand why this inexpensive vegetable has such an appeal to a wide range of cuisines.  It keeps well and it lends a richness to soups and is nice and crunchy in a salad. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #279 on: August 12, 2021, 01:26:59 AM »
I cloned an old quiznos recipe off a promo photo.

Quiznos isn't particularly well documented, and it's vandalized wikia page is hilarious. It contains SCPs, an egg tree, Catboys, and zalgo text.

It was a pretty easy clone, so I'll share it.

First you need a steak roll, or I guess if you want to go authentic, a sub roll.
Next is BBQ sauce. I'm usually picky about this, but I had bulls eye.
Next is pickle chips, I used sliced pickles because the store was out of pickle chips
Then some very thinly sliced strong cheddar
Next is brisket, once again, another substitute, Pastrami
You lay all that on a bed of sliced red onions, you guessed it, I used chopped white
Then the bottom of the steak roll, which is also liberally sauced.

Shove it in the toaster oven until crispy, then enjoy.

I think I probably would have enjoyed this more if I'd done dishes earlier. It's a fairly easy sandwich to slap together.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #280 on: August 12, 2021, 03:55:14 AM »
Soup.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #281 on: August 12, 2021, 05:23:35 AM »
Tea and cream scones.  I'm dull and predictable.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #282 on: August 12, 2021, 11:05:07 PM »
nothing dull about scones with the right jam

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #283 on: August 14, 2021, 04:49:38 AM »
I lived a little dangerously last night and swapped the soup for a fish pie.

Only 3 - 4 months left of a soft food diet ...
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #284 on: August 14, 2021, 05:10:59 AM »
"fish" pie? I thought you were anti-meat?
--dweez