Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 62201 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #360 on: May 12, 2022, 08:36:30 PM »
Roast potatoes.

Sounds like a great alternative to the usual olive oil.  thanks.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #361 on: May 17, 2022, 02:26:41 PM »
Tonight I made steamed fine beans which are then tossed in a little sweet chilli sauce, chestnut mushrooms in a satay sauce, backed Basa (river cobbler) and some jasmin rice.

I could eat it again if I'd made more!
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #362 on: May 19, 2022, 10:53:15 AM »
That sounds great.  I'm having the usual tea and scone for breakfast with jam.

Some days there's not enough caffeine in the world.  Got 3 hours of sleep and feel like a zombie.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #363 on: May 20, 2022, 09:42:22 AM »
I'm not a big pork guy, but my latest favorite "internet cowpoo" recipe is the diablo sandwich.

Some people say it's a sloppy joe, and those liars need a slap in the mouth to wake 'em up.

The pedantry over a throwaway scene in a movie about smuggling coors is just so petty. People are scouring blu-ray copies of smokey and the bandit to get their story straight. The sacred texts!

In the movie, Buford Justice has a hunger, and he hasn't got a GOT DAMNED lot of time to waste.

So he orders a diablo sandwich and a dr pepper.

Honestly, there is another video where a guy goes to the sole remaing hickory house, but that sandwich looked like sawdust, mold, and sadness.

The wikipedia "non notability" deletion is also deliciously bitchy.

here is a delightfully ancient looking blog
https://www.shadeone.com/diablo/

I have not had trappey's mexi-pep hot sauce, but now I want to.

If you don't eat pork, might I interest you in some liars risotto?

Specifically,  I watched a bunch of risotto videos and was reminded of the liars creme brule (blowtorch some vanilla pudding)

A liars risotto does require a bit more effort than liars creme brule, but not a lot.

First you heat up some oil in a pan. Then squash and dice garlic (press) and onion (dice finely)

Bring those up to a nice mix, then set aside.

Next, make a box of chicken rice-a-roni. Or knorr, I'm not a cop. The reason you want chicken flavor is that real risotto uses chicken stock.

Next, combine your lovely sauteed veggies to your crapbox rice.

Next, add a tablespoon of sour cream and stir the crap out of it. Next, serve to Gordon Ramsay to see how angry you can make him.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #364 on: June 26, 2022, 04:33:57 PM »
Someone gave me a honking big zucchini.  almost 2 lb.  So I gutted the seeds & shredded it, squeezed out the water and am baking muffins from it.  I have high hopes.  Maybe it will be a delicious afternoon snack, but it sure will be breakfast.

This vegetable is wonderful cut into chunks, slathered in olive oil, skewered and roasted on the grill.  But when they get this big, they tend to get tough and the seeds have to be scooped out as they are nearly inedible.  So baking is a good way to salvage it.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #365 on: June 26, 2022, 08:35:50 PM »
I don't like shredding chicken, so I bought some of the Jack Daniels shredded chicken.

I was weirdly disappointed. I thought it would be BBQ, like the diablo, but it was more teriyaki flavored. It was... confusing.

I admire the effort you put in all your meals. When I'm cooking, it's more "Slap poo together randomly and hope taste good"

You take the time to do it right. We're like golly up and gallant. (With you in the gallant role)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #366 on: June 27, 2022, 07:56:51 PM »
I always admire the ingenuity you put into making the most out of limited ingredients.  You have come up with some creative dishes over the years. 

Cooking with whatever is on hand is a useful skill. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #367 on: June 28, 2022, 09:06:10 AM »
I can't find lime juice for poo, I've been buying those little squeeze bottles.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #368 on: June 28, 2022, 01:23:57 PM »
We only have the shitty acorn looking ones. :(

But I did buy those. It's like you're psychic.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #369 on: June 28, 2022, 09:40:11 PM »
We only have the shitty acorn looking ones. :(

But I did buy those. It's like you're psychic.

Key limes are wonderful.  But they are a pain to squeeze.  Use a garlic press.  I use one when I make the lime marmalade.  Trying to squeeze those little suckers is a great way to get a wrist injury. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #370 on: July 05, 2022, 01:02:18 AM »
I made vodka fries.

Baked just doesn't do the pie pan of grease justice.

It's a three-ingredient recipe. You need your French fries, then you top it with Vodka sauce. Next you melt mozzarella on top of it and broil it until the mozz goes crispy.

Wikipedia doesn't like it, so you get bitchy yelp reviews when you try to look them up. NO I DON'T MEAN POUTINE WIKIPEDIA, I NEVER MEAN POUTINE!

I remember eating these in New Jersey, we always had it delivered. It came in a takeout pie tin.

OK, turns out the search results are completely contaminated because Arby's put out a French fry flavored vodka.

Vodka sauce is like a creamy marinara. I know that sounds gross, but it isn't, I swear!

Also, a lot of the results make it wrong, they damn near bury the fries in sauce. You want to be light with the sauce, heavy with the Mozz.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #371 on: July 05, 2022, 07:49:01 AM »
I like poutine.

He's made a right mess of Ukraine.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #372 on: July 05, 2022, 10:45:20 AM »
I like poutine.

What's not to like about chips and gravy?

Soggy fries.

Good one, smokes.

I'm having half a small panettone with my usual earl grey tea.  Breakfast of champions.

8ully, Safeway makes a decent Vodka sauce.  Cheap.  Someone gave it to us and it was a revelation.  I don't know if there's actually any vodka involved in its production.  Here's Lidia Bastianich.  She puts in about a quarter of a cup.  Looks pretty straightforward.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #373 on: July 05, 2022, 05:40:51 PM »
I went looking online to try and find the actual fast food place we used to get vodka fries from. No dice, but a lot of them do sell their vodka sauce for about $5.00, so I guess there is real vodka in there. Most recipes do call for actual vodka.

Apparently, the reason you booze up the sauce is to make it tangy. The cream is apparently added to make the sauce smooth.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #374 on: July 05, 2022, 07:03:29 PM »
Tomatoes are pretty tangy.  I think the alcohol cooks off from the vodka.  We have a bottle of Grey Goose, and I guess I could experiment, but we still have several jars of the Safeway brand stuff in the cupboard.  It sometimes goes on sale for a couple bucks.

Lidia smashed the tomatoes up with her hands.  I'd better get on to dinner as I'm hungry and all this talk of food isn't helping defray that.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 07:18:07 PM by 6pairsofshoes »