Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 64856 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #570 on: July 04, 2023, 01:48:17 PM »
Mom bought a bunch of strawberries and they're closer to their exp than she'd like, so we're looking at this:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/32352/best-strawberry-daiquiri/

I never thought of adding sprite to a mixed fruit cocktail.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #571 on: July 04, 2023, 03:23:54 PM »
If you are out of sugar and lemon juice, I guess it will work.

I'd just make jam out of them, but it's a completely different end product.  All you really need is sugar and lemon juice, strawberries and some patience.  Most people opt for SureJell, but it's not really necessary.  You can freeze it or just eat it on toast until it's gone.  Have fun.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #572 on: July 04, 2023, 06:25:23 PM »
I skipped the sugar and just added more sprite.

The resulting flavor is confusing. Watermelon fizzy instead of strawberry.

The effect has been very nice. Marshmallow wrapped brick instead of lemon. I'm sure the brick will appear tomorrow.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #573 on: July 05, 2023, 10:47:46 AM »
Drinking earl grey tea.  Had scones earlier.  I have to bake some more as there's only one left.  They don't take long to put together.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #574 on: July 06, 2023, 09:14:18 AM »
Drinking earl grey tea.  Had scones earlier.  I have to bake some more as there's only one left.  They don't take long to put together.

plain or currant scones.
When I was baker I made thousands, but now i cannot eat them.
The flour we used was premixed with "sugar?" and was tinged a faint yellow no idea why but they tasted fantastic and not dry as per a lot of scones today

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #575 on: July 06, 2023, 01:18:55 PM »
Plain.
2 c. flour
1 T baking powder
½ t salt
⅓ c sugar
1 fat cup of heavy cream.

I mix and let rest for 20 minutes before shaping and baking.  This is so routine for me now that I don't even have to look at the recipe.  They are tender and fluffy.  I need something to spread all the jams and marmalades onto, so they function well as such a vehicle.

How long did you work as a baker?  Was it for a small bakery or a large commercial one?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 01:20:52 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #576 on: July 22, 2023, 06:00:11 PM »
Friend gave me an out of date snack pack, but it looked alright, and sell by is not eat by.

Del Duca Genoa Salami and Provolone.

It's a snack plate, with a bunch of slices of salami, with a bunch of squares of provolone.

It was fantastic. I don't think I'd pay $4.38 for 3 ounces of snack, but I enjoyed it a lot. Shame we can't get such things at a more affordable choice, but I'm aware meat and cheese are both on the inflation train.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #577 on: July 23, 2023, 04:16:53 AM »
How long did you work as a baker?  Was it for a small bakery or a large commercial one?

7 years in a small bakery, then 3 years at a supermarket which wasnt too bad a product

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #578 on: July 24, 2023, 10:28:01 AM »
That sounds like a great way to get in some good experience.  Do you bake much now?

I made Sally's Baking Addiction blueberry muffins yesterday so that's what we had for breakfast, along with the usual tea. 

8ully, I found small jars of Mezzetta Calabrian chili marinara sauce at Grocery Outlet for 2.99 and we had it on pasta last night.  It was the bomb.  Well worth the cost.  I mention it because you might happen on it and it's really good.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #579 on: July 25, 2023, 07:32:57 AM »
That sounds like a great way to get in some good experience.  Do you bake much now?

I made Sally's Baking Addiction blueberry muffins yesterday so that's what we had for breakfast, along with the usual tea. 

8ully, I found small jars of Mezzetta Calabrian chili marinara sauce at Grocery Outlet for 2.99 and we had it on pasta last night.  It was the bomb.  Well worth the cost.  I mention it because you might happen on it and it's really good.

sometimes, but the wife dominated our cake making ;D

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #580 on: August 01, 2023, 05:34:38 AM »
Mom dipped a classico out of the back of the car, looks like murder in the rear-view cam.

I do love a good sauce.

On that topic, we did kraft mac and cheese "hamburger helper style" and found it quite creamier than the box directions.

Specifically, you need two boxes of mac, three cups of water, one cup of milk, 4 TBSB Butter, and additional spicing and cheese to taste.
Also, you need to be a washing machine of stirring. So Much Stirring.

We used a jalepeno cheese packet in addition to the two box packets, and it did indeed produce a creamier mac. Sadly, short-lived though, those greedy noodles sucked up the cream.

I've honestly lost my temper in the past when a spaghetti has inhaled the sauce. Without a good bit of sauce, what is the point even, really?

I need to put in some effort and make a decent Spaghetti. It's been a long time and my skills have likely atrophied. bless'ed summer!

I haven't said it, but we have been living off bread rolls and boars head sandwich oil. Sorry, "Deli Dressing". Is it nutritionally sound? NO. Is it cold? YES.

Is that the point? YES.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #581 on: August 01, 2023, 06:10:59 PM »
There's always hummos and cucumbers.  Best eaten cold.

My tomatoes are slowly beginning to ripen.  I get about 1 cherry tomato a day.   Soon the speed will pick up.  I love raw tomatoes.  They also make good sauce when there's enough of them.  I often freeze some of it so we can have it in the winter months.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #582 on: August 02, 2023, 09:55:24 AM »
Cream scones with greengage plum jam and apricot jam (for pudding).   They are both delicious.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #583 on: August 02, 2023, 11:41:43 AM »
Cream scones with greengage plum jam and apricot jam (for pudding).   They are both delicious.

To me, that reads that apricot jam was for pudding and cream scones with greengage jam was the main. That's the best main  ever.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #584 on: August 02, 2023, 01:49:11 PM »
Ha!  Sleep deprivation strikes again.
We split the scones and have different jams on the two halves.  The greengage was the main and the second half was the apricot. 

I am reminded of Peep Show where David Mitchell's character regularly has two slices of toast in the morning:  wheat bread for main and white bread for "pudding."