Author Topic: Yikes  (Read 9226 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Yikes
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 07:22:27 PM »
The old imacs have a panel on the underside that can be unscrewed in order to access the DIMMs.   The new 27 inch versions have a door on a hook in the rear, a small square panel that affords access.  For some reason this was too expensive for the 21.5 inch or the iMac Pro versions.  Why you'd slap down $5k for a "Pro" machine that wouldn't let you upgrade the RAM is incomprehensible.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 09:08:58 PM »
Yup, G5 was like a car lid. I really liked the way they had everything laid out all nice and neat, hard drive removal was a snap. literally :P

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 02:30:14 AM »
juuup, Powerbook G4 I gave my mom is bent to poo on one side, optical drive is beyond dead, and I still used it to check our previous router (Can't anymore, this docsis piece of poo uses java stupidly)

It just doesn't work with anything anymore. Poor little trooper.

I will say, as far as trends I am seeing, there are some alarming ram requirements that I feel will be similar to becoming foie gras in the near future, but they are still rumors.

For instance, this would likely never affect six, but the new steam client is rumored to require 16 gb of RAM, and some people have said "Well yeah, but in 2019, 32 gb is more standard." I can't tell if this is like asking a waitress about tipping, or nostradumbass drinking his bong water.

Apps are getting hungrier, and it really does seem like programmers no longer feel a need for restraint.

I agree that SSD's started as, and remain fetish candy. If it gets the job done right for you, it's the right hardware. But I can still see Justin Long smugly judging me.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2019, 09:41:05 AM »
Thanks, chris.  That's helpful.  I'll probably upgrade the RAM.  I think an external HD will do fine for storage needs.  I probably need a USB hub to take up some of the extra plugs.  It comes with 4.  I have 2 HDs a wired keyboard (with 2 more USB ports that I use mostly for flash drives) and whatever other odd peripherals I may need to plug in.

8ully, I had a powerbook G4 that had so many issues that they gave me a MacBookPro after one year (thanks to AppleCare).  It's the first and has a beautiful comfortable aluminum case.  But it's not a "Unibody" version.  The newer ones have uncomfortable sharp edges that irritate my forearms as they rest on the machine to type.  The Air is actually more comfortable to use in that respect, although the keyboard is a bit awkward to access.  Maybe I should raise it on a platform.

If I can get that old iMac to reboot, maybe I can trade it in after wiping the HD.  They won't give me a cent if it won't reboot, but will "recycle" it for me at no extra charge.  Nice.  There's no way I'll leave the iMac at 8 G, I'll install an aftermarket DIMM to get it up to 16 at least.  I get sick of watching rainbow wheel spinning.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 11:36:14 AM »
So, instead of waiting until tomorrow, I restarted the computer using first space bar + r (couldn't remember and your post disappeared).  No result.  Then I used command + r and it quit trying to automatically turn itself on with the on button depressed (before I could hold it down for 10 seconds & while it would shut down, it wouldn't stay shut down, it would start attempting to reboot again.)  After this it tried to reboot but there's a connection not getting made as the screen remains black.

So I'm not sure what the issue is:  either bad on button switch assembly, or that plus power supply issue.  At any rate I have a dead machine that does not seem to be getting better on its own any time soon.  I guess I could try to find a neighborhood person to check it but the labor involved, cracking open the case and replacing one or both is going to cost more than what a used machine would cost at this point.  I think it's probably only good for parts.  I assume apple will take it and shred the HD (security issues my main concern at this point).  The geniuses can't be bothered to work on it so that's not an option.

What's funny about this is that my first generation MacBookPro is still working.  And it's a laptop.  Oh well.  I can't do much with it other than sync my 1st gen iPad with it but it's useful for that.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2019, 03:12:27 PM »
Thank you.
I plugged it in while holding down the 3 keys.  Then I depressed the power button, holding it down for at least 10 seconds.  The computer automatically kicked in with the chime and then I got the same black screen with quiet electronic noises that continued with the black screen.

I tried it again.  It attempts to boot up even with the key firmly pressed down and not unreleased.  I finally took my hand off and got the chime + black screen again.  It won't just shut down and it won't fully turn on.  I keep it unplugged for safety reasons.

And my old MacBookPro charger broke.  Nice.  I tried to plug it in and the prongs broke off.  I can't charge it without one.  So I'll see if a neighbor may have an old one lying around.  Right now I'm trying to figure out how to buy a new one on the cheap.  It's tiring to have one's tools stop working.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2019, 10:38:51 AM »
It's a magsafe charger with the plugs that go into the wall detached.  The little plastic part that holds the assembly together somehow cracked.  So there's no way to get the plug back together.  I have a block with the plug missing.  The part that plugs into the computer is fine.  But no way to get the power into the little transformer section.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2019, 06:53:19 PM »
The prongs used to slide out of the brick, I once replaced mine with the "prongs" from an iPod charger, the part was identical. I think they go for $2

I have one in front of me, but I don't know which is the part number and which is garbage voltage information.

It was also interchangeable with the G4 and 2006 MBP.

I think it's Mfg. Part #: WS-069E-1 JET, but that only pulls one google result, and the site is down. The entire brick is Model# A1102 W005A050

Hey! that actually pops a result! Looks like that part goes for $8.99

in the picture, you can see it's a square with some lines on the corner to the right of the apple logo.

Mom used to smash the part of the AC adapter that plugged into the powerbook and lit up. THAT part tended to run $65. You could also swap out the little jet piece and use a longer cable.

I once had the magsafe melt, Apple replaced it, but they were super rude about it, telling me they were doing me a "One-Time favor". Which was BS, I was still within MFG warranty AND Applcare.

Hah, when I slid the jet piece, there is a hairline crack on the inside of it, so much for build quality. Sure enough, it's right under the prongs.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2019, 09:31:44 PM »
Sadly, this is not the variety that has the interchangeable prong section.  The last laptop I had had the disc charger.  It's round and has a plug that is like a fat RCA connector, so it won't work with the MBP.  It's clear from looking at the junction of the missing corner piece (the piece that has the electric plug) that it was not supposed to be separated from the body of the transformer.  The plug was on a hinge that was to fold back to the square body of the transformer, but it wasn't supposed to come off, although I have seen power adapters that did have the removable plug module.  Sadly this is not one of those.  There's cracks around the edges.  There are two broad exposed copper bands that are there to conduct the current from the plugs in the wall socket into the body of the transformer.  The link between those and the pronged plug is no longer there.  I have the broken pieces.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2019, 09:52:17 PM »
So I got a good thick rubber band and placed the plug back up against the copper bars and plugged it into a socket and it works.  Someone on a local neighborhood board might have a used one they can give me.  It's not something I feel I can use without supervising it, so I wouldn't say it's going to pass a UL approval, but right now, it's transferring electricity into the old MBP battery.  It's stuck on an old operating system and can only do limited things with browsers, so the machine is really on its way out.  I keep it charged to use to update my 1st gen iPad.

My tech is old, but I'm older.  The air is the newest thing I've got.  I think the idea of buying a used iMac is too much.  I'm going for a new one, but not before 8/1 because I'm just curious to see what will happen with sales prices and promotions.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2019, 12:20:00 AM »
The MBP did not charge.  It's not clear if this is due to the battery in the MBP being past it or if the transformer/rubber band option just wasn't functioning properly. 

Oh well.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2019, 12:37:54 AM »
is there still an indicator light on the chasis? Sorry my knowledge is prehistoric, but I offer it as best I can.

Honestly, the jury rigged charge method you described rose hairs on my neck, but I didn't want to be negative.

Is the magsafe still a rectangle with dots in the middle like [ - - - - ]  ?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2019, 02:01:57 AM »
The plastic assembly simply kept the prongs in place against the copper internal prongs, but I checked regularly to be certain that nothing was overheating.  The light that indicates charge on the end of the line that connects to the computer was green, indicating that things were operating as they should.

Still after a couple hours plugged in on a table, it became clear that it wasn't working.  I either need a new battery or a charger that isn't broken.  Perhaps both.  And the connector to the computer has 4 small projecting rods inside the trapezoidal silver frame.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2019, 11:20:55 AM »
Thank you, that's very kind, but you are so far away that it wouldn't be worth the expense of postage.  I have a Wanted post on some local boards and people have been responding. So far the offers haven't been compatible but I can keep trying.  People are pretty generous with used tech around here.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2019, 06:54:09 AM »
Let me go and have a look in the old parts bin, and see what I have.

If you come across a part-worn left knee in fair working order I'd be interested.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.