Author Topic: Stargate: SG-1 - Season 2.  (Read 15786 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Stargate: SG-1 - Season 2.
« on: August 15, 2019, 08:48:45 AM »
This thread awaits undomesticated equines.

This cultural reference is tied to Season 2, episode 7.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Stargate: SG-1 - Season 2.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 11:59:45 AM »
Best not to give mouth to mouth resuscitation to inhabitants of unfamiliar planets.  Geez.  I'm not a scientist and I could have figured out that this would be a bad idea.  Do the writers not get that the SG1 people are supposed to have above average intelligence as well as special training that might obviate the need for such related plot lines?

Um.  No.  I guess it's more interesting to engage notions of bodily pollution as something to keep the story going.  Forget the purported expertise of the cast.

One more thing.  For some reason, glowing eyes is an indicator of such trespass by foreign entities.  It's a characteristic we see in Stranger Things and in this show.  I struggle to come up with the physics that would serve as a prerequisite to such glowing expressions of inner power.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 12:01:46 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 02:57:44 PM »
They dropped the glowy spines from BSG for exactly that reason.

One MAYBE I could give goauld glowy eyes and dual voice thing come from Naquadah in the blood. They get into that a lot more later, but it's seriously just visual shorthand for us viewers, so we know who is running the show.

Also seems to be mood based, even when goauld should be keeping cover, if they get pissed, they light up.

Not sure what episode you're up to, but I'm going to guess "In the line of duty".

The Goauld seem to be similar to a gallbladder, they excrete trace amounts of Naquadah into the hosts bloodstream, which allows for rapid healing but also may explain why forcibly extracting a Goauld is so difficult.

This also somewhat acts as a werewolf detector. From this point on, if Carter is in a room with a snakehead, she can feel it. The naquadah in the blood ALSO allows someone to operate Goauld devices, such as the hand tool, and a different, healing hand tool. I don't remember what they are called. They mostly use the hurty one.

Ship functions seem to be less locked down than those two, since Jack regularly takes the stick behind Al'kesh, which I like to think of like moving trucks, even though their primary function is bomber/troop transport.
I don't know if it is the Naquadah that makes the Jaffa dependent on Goauld symbiotes.

And you know TV CPR requires the mouth to mouth action, so they can make a nasty joke about it!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 05:27:54 PM »
Thanks.  I think, yes, Line of Duty is it.  I think I went to bed halfway through the second episode of Season 2.

I took CPR a long time ago and we had a rubber doll to blow into.  We had to wipe her mouth with alcohol swabs.  The effort to blow into this dummy made my lips bleed.  Not a great situation.  At any rate, I think they've eliminated the respiration part from CPR.  So it's now just CP, I guess.

The mechanics of those wormy parasites and their effects on the hosts are still unknown aspects of this.  I do fully expect they'll play this infection of Carter out for the entire season.  The end of the last season was particularly lame with idiot guys messing with our heroes' secret program.  Bad senator and bad military man were cartoon characters really, and the general seemed stuck in that paper bag he had trouble acting his way out of.  Ta da.  Big surprise.  Earth was saved, but, wait... there's another threat to our heroes on the horizon, so stay tuned!!! I read that Richard Dean Anderson got his start acting on General Hospital.  He has apparently moved onto another more interesting soap opera, one that involves going into space.  I never really watched McGyver, but I take it the show was probably entertaining in a camp sort of way.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 06:34:57 PM »
Christopher Judge once Guest Starred on Macguyver. You know him as Teal'c.

I actually liked the politics episode, I vaguely remember writing a positive review. The episode immediately before it, There But For the Grace of God, showed that the Goauld do have spaceships that are capable of traveling at light speed, and SG1 have pissed them off. Eventually, they will be showing up.

Kinsey made the claim that God and America could defeat them. They kinda overplay the religion hand with Kinsey, presumably to make him more Goauld like? He was better as Captain Jellico on TNG. Captain Jellico didn't view the crew of a starship as a family, he ran a military ship. And like Kinsey, he called the entire Enterprise crew on their poo. And made Deanna put on a uniform! (Mirina Sirtis loved this)
Ronny Cox has kind of made a career of playing hardasses. He's... an Irish Folk Singer? What the frak?

My bad, you already know about the invasion fleet, it was literally the next episode. WHOOPS!

As to Carter being held by Jolinar… You might want to do a rewatch on Line of Duty.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 07:57:22 PM »
Jolinar said he'd let her go and get another host if they'd let him out of the Stargate, but then there's this assassin running around.  So the mechanics of what happens next is sort of up in the air, but I was just expecting the writers to drag this out.  I don't much remember Star Trek TNG.  I watched it sporadically so I really don't know what happens.

One thing that I wonder about is the tendency of these shows to have characters like Carter and O'Neill get romantically involved, as they were in the alternative earth that Dr. wirerim glasses visits.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 08:19:10 PM »
Oh, it gets worse, another Carter visits, and she was actually married to Jack because she didn't join the military. [snip spoiler]

After the S1 episode where the alien entity pretended to be both Jack AND his dead son, I don't think they ever mention Sara (Jack's ex wife) again.

I wonder what the hell they told her. I mean she figured out the Jack that visited the house wasn't really Jack, but that still would probably be about as traumatic an experience as possible.

Oh dang, I was just reading her article entry and they totally gave her Carter's Hair!

General Hammond really hates the Quantum Mirror. Another two funnies, Stargate Command is officially designated Area 52, and they kept the quantum mirror in a storage area.

So yeah, you're about 2/3 through the episode I think? Carter is in the brig, Teal'c talks mad poo, and honestly I think that's right where you're at.

I don't have eidetic memory, I'm using website summaries. HERESY, I know.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:22:51 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 12:42:26 AM »
They are in prison now.  I don't know if I can continue with this.  My stupid meter is going off.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 01:00:43 AM »
Are they in prison... in Hell?

Ah no, this is the Prison planet. I don't know if they explained it before, but Jack O'Neill was left to die as a POW by his Commanding Officer during desert storm, he spent four months in an Iraqi prison, entirely disavowed.

That's why he knows how to act in prison.  That episode is pretty bad, but we meet lady space Hitler.

One thing I did enjoy about this episode, General Hammond seems to realize the futility of negotiating with the aliens on … poo I got nothing.

Funny enough, there is no summary for this episode on gateworld, I guess they hated it too.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 01:08:13 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 02:21:38 AM »
I watched an episode of Preacher and came back to it.  Lady Hitler is about right.  But at least she's polite.  To be continued.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 09:46:14 AM »
BTW, I just saw this remarkable sword chape with interlaced serpents and thought of the little shorthand images of Gou'ald on the heads of the Jaffa.  The images are certainly not Egyptian, but they do resemble these to a lesser degree.  To clarify:  the interlaced serpents are in the central section, birds' heads around the periphery and a dragon's head at the top.  Pretty amazing craftsmanship.  Low bid estimate $300k US. https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/a-superb-and-extremely-rare-turquoise-inlaid-gold-6220717-details.aspx?from=salesummery&intObjectID=6220717&sid=#lot_6220754
The chape is at the bottom of the sheath to keep the point of the weapon from penetrating the sheath.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:18:53 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 06:18:07 PM »
Each Goauld uses a different mark for their Jaffa, but Apophis would definitely like that as an Apophis day gift. Of course, to him, EVERY day is Apophis day. MORE GIFTS!

Did you rewatch the end of line of duty? There's one note from the episode I want to mention, but it is a spoiler [for just that episode]

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 10:54:14 PM »
I was thinking of the snake on the head for the Jaffa.  They all look the same to me.

Re Line o Duty, Are you talking about Carter's survival due to the Tolinar's sacrifice?  He gives up his life so she can live?  And then the little girl who has special Gou'ald detection senses tells her she'll be ok.  Eh?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:57:45 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 11:17:01 PM »
Well, Cassandra knows what it's like to be violated. Lady Space Hitler was the one who killed Cassie's planet. Might be a moment a casual watch would miss.

Cassie can detect Goauld for the same reason Carter now can. She had a BOMB put in her that released trace amounts of Naquadah into her bloodstream. Carter takes on an Aunt like role for Cassie.

The snake symbol on the head of Jaffa is the symbol of Apophis. Most of the Jaffa we've seen up to this point have been in his service. The snake helmets are also his.

The spoilers I snipped are that

1. Carter meets alternate Carter in a future episode. If she was lost in space, that wouldn't happen. Civilian Dr. Carter has long hair, and both her and Major Carter are self conscious about it, and each other.

2. Jolinar sacrificed herself for Carter. This is not the type of behavior the Goauld engage in. Something different is happening here.

Lady Hitler was polite because it suited her to be so. She also shithoused their computers almost instantly, and when she left, her farewell was "All Debts Are Paid." Not the friendliest goodbye. Will we see her again? Not tellin'.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 12:48:44 AM »
Of course we'll see Lady Hitler again.

And the last episode was pretty lame.  Virtual reality planet with Paul Lind type keeper.  "Don't pick the flowers."  Please don't squeeze the Charmin.  I think I can only manage an episode a day without wanting to go find a loaf of white bread to hurl at the screen.  The music is really annoying.  The plots are a cut above "New Zoo Revue."  But there's a level of entertainment.  This really does remind me of Star Trek, the original series, in that that often had really lame plot developments and resolutions.  I do miss "He's dead, Jim." and that sort of routine pronouncement.