Computer/Technology > Technology

Beats by Dre

(1/4) > >>

6pairsofshoes:
So Apple is pushing these headphones.  For free with purchase of a computer or tablet.  You get to pay the sales tax (unless you live in Delaware or some other nice place where sales tax doesn't exist).  So the list price for the Beats 3 Studio noise cancelling headphones is 349.95 or something like that.  This means they charge you $35 for them.  I've not seen any very positive reviews.  They seem to possess the virtue of working well with Apple equipment, but the noise canceling features and the sound have not gotten much laudatory praise.

I'm on the fence.  I need a new desktop and have been thinking of getting an iMac.  It has to be a 27 inch because they don't allow for DIY RAM upgrades in the 21.5 inch ones.  If you get Apple to put in RAM, you pay double what the DIMMs cost if you installed them yourself.  So I was looking at the refurbished machines which are about $100-$200 cheaper, still come with warranty.  No phones.  If I get a new machine, I can get the phones and sell them on ebay for about a hundred buck profit.

Has anyone used these critters?  I have Sennheisers but no noise canceling ones.  All open ear versions.  I like my Sennheisers and I am deeply suspicious of headphones that are endorsed by a rapper who has no electrical or acoustical engineering background.  If Dre had gone to MIT and was lauded for his acoustical modeling and had made significant contributions to the field, I'd think twice about it.  But this is Apple.  Trendy, obsessively hip Apple.  I'd expect them to be pretty and sound like crap.

In fact, I was noticing how the fidelity of even youtube music suffers under the current spartan computer regimen I've been reduced to:  namely, one does not buy a MacBook Air expecting good sounding music to come out of the headphone jack.  Nope.  That's another reason I'd rather go back to the iMac.  At least the music sounded better.

But I digress.  If there is anyone out there who has experience with Beats and can offer advice, I'd appreciate it.  I do fly sometimes so noise canceling would be useful, although from what I've gathered, I should just shell out money for a set of BOSE headphones.

8ullfrog:
Beats are more a fashion accessory than high-end headphones. I'd probably take them as a pack in accessory as you described,  but waiting for better noise cancelling headphones doesn't sound too bad an idea either.

I'm sorry your search for a new all-in-one is hitting the Apple tax hell.

6pairsofshoes:
I expect that if I get them it will be for resale.  I never got the whole idea of Beats in the first place.  I mean I get it, but it seems to have little to do with headphones.  Otherwise they'd sound good and perform well.

Alfonz:
I have a set of wired-over the ear beats, I was given them but I believe they were in the neighborhood of $250 IIRC. They sound very good, but honestly for an over the ear headphone I prefer my Bluedio bluetooth headphones. I love deep bass and these headphones deliver! Don't let the price fool you, these headphones are awesome.
https://www.amazon.com/Bluedio-T7-Bluetooth-Headphones-Canceling/dp/B07Q71VML6

I also have wired Sennheisers which I would also rate above Beats. Long story short, Beats are part of a culture rather than an ultra high quality audio device.

6pairsofshoes:
Yep.
I'm not really into that culture.  I love my Sennheisers.  I must, as I have 4 pairs.  I would like a set of noise cancelling ones for travel, but right now the economics don't make sense. I guess I could try the Beats for $35 and sell them if they're as bad as everyone says they are.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version