Author Topic: Experiments in Cooking : Sous Vide  (Read 2618 times)

Offline aelthric

• Australopithecus
Experiments in Cooking : Sous Vide
« on: November 05, 2019, 12:49:35 PM »
Nothing to see here...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 09:01:16 PM by aelthric »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Experiments in Cooking : Sous Vide
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 04:14:41 PM »
I never knew I was a Sous Vide chef!

(Specifically, supermarket chipped beef comes in a sealed plastic bag, I boil it rather than microwave it, because it burns in the nukrawave)

Then you just cut a corner off the bag and funnel it onto the toast. I should pick some up today, since it was cold last night.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 08:06:00 PM »
I mean, apparently that one company that delivers all the food to applebees delivers it in plastic bags, then they microwave it, so it doesn't qualify as Sous Vide. I hear even Olive Garden gets their sauces in big plastic sacks. My brain is saying con agra, but that's wrong. poo, I know this word but have aphasia on it. Last week it was provolone, my brain kept saying "Round white cheese" and "Pavlov". Super frustrating. It's not ChefAmerica either.

I used to change out the Coke sacks at the deli counter, and WOW were they specific about every step of that. Super strict. But I get it, no one wants a TV expose on how fuzzy the soda is. (Fuzzy, not fizzy)

I was shocked how little of a poo my coworkers gave about the ice container, that's like, an INSTA-FAIL, everyone is fired thing, and I was the guy who always ended up cleaning it.

That has nothing to do with Sous Vide though. :P
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:11:11 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 12:54:42 AM »
That sounds promising and a good way to transform cheap cuts of meat.  I've heard of this technique but have not really had much experience with it besides the normal dull frozen food that you boil in a pouch.  What you are doing is light years past that.  I do a good deal of cooking from scratch and often freeze things when I prep a lot of something, like the pasta sauce I've been putting up from the garden tomatoes.  But I am kind of a noob when it comes to prepping meat (I don't eat red meat, only poultry and seafood, so I'm kind of at a loss in related cooking techniques). 

My grandmother used to make sauerbrauten, which I loved as a child.  She'd take cheap cuts of beef and marinate them in a vinegar/sugar/water- based marinade with pickling spice.  Left in the fridge overnight, the proteins seemed to break down the tough muscle fibres and then after cooking slowly for a couple of hours, the beef was remarkably tender.  It sounds like the sous vide process you work with somehow accelerates this process with similar results.