Author Topic: Stargate SG1 Season 8  (Read 7033 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Stargate SG1 Season 8
« on: February 01, 2020, 03:20:15 AM »
New Order Pt. 1&2.

O'Neill finally gets thawed out by Asgard.  Replicators steal Carter.  Remaining system lords come to Earth where the new head of SG program, yet another perky supermodel type, this time a brunette who seems to have gone to the Let's Make a Deal school of acting, takes over and tries unsuccessfully to exert a sense of gravitas.  Mr. Handsome Replicator tries to get Carter to be his one and only and she's having none of it.  O'Neill helps Asgard develop neutralizing weapon against replicators.  Some success in that they all get to go home where we're told the General gets a promotion so Jack gets to be new General and in command of SG program while Carter gets promoted to Lieutenant Colonel.  And Teal'c grows hair.  What's up with that?  More hijinks with replicators to come.  They have figured out how to replicate Samantha, who emerges covered in goo.  They look for a planet to  pick up where they left  off evolving as human form.  Octopi are more intelligent, most likely, but given the anthropocentrism of the show, of course aliens want to be like us, because, after all, we are the crown of creation.  Right?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Stargate SG1 Season 8
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 09:42:38 AM »
That's uh, still Weir, they had to recast as the original actress wasn't offered the ongoing role, which is super weird. She actually wanted to do it, but they replaced her. You also didn't note her first order - "Open the Iris!" going with the classics.

The replicators are creepy. I liked the lighting on their ships, but hated everything else about their creepy Stockholm plan that turned out to not even be needed.

I loved how bless'ed petty the Goauld are, and that they directly reference it.

I also don't get why the replicators left the isolation field, they could have waited out the death of the stupid organics that keep stymying them.

Wow, a lot of these just bleed over, how do you feel about that?

I liked the second half better than the first half. Aside from the silly Goauld, it didn't have much on offer.

In this one, we get one of the best bitchy moments between Jack and Daniel.

(O'Neill's mind is linked to Thor's ship)
Thor: O'Neill, can you hear us?
O'Neill: Hey! Hey guys! What's going on?
Thor: Your mind has been interfaced with the Daniel Jackson.
O'Neill: What?
Jackson: What?!
Teal'c: The name of Thor's ship is Daniel Jackson.

When I watched this episode I wondered if this was real or if Carter was still in the matrix, but then I watched the Atlantis pilot, and sure enough, Jack's got the star. As to the hair, maybe Chris Judge felt cold after all those years. One character later notes that he also used to be more golden.

I do wonder why Weir essentially got shitcanned and sent to an undesirable posting, but she recovers from that handily.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 01:24:54 PM »
Ah.  That's interesting.  I looked them up--both actresses--they had similar careers, guesting on the same tv shows, getting similar awards, both Canadian.  They tend to work on the sorts of shows I don't watch, so they were unfamiliar to me.  It is puzzling that they'd swap them out after one episode.  Odd.

The replicator stuff could be more clearly laid out, it's kind of fuzzy how the whole dynamic of their evolution plays out, and the blurring of human/machine could have been explored with more insight and nuance than was done here.  It's not clear how these objects reproduced themselves--that seems to fly in the face of physics.  I'd like to have that explained, too, instead of having the TA DA fait accompli business laid out before me on a plate like a piece of cake I have to eat without wondering what's in it.  But that's me.  I don't think these series are written for me so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 02:54:16 PM »
they eat everything, poo out most, and use the rest to make more replicators. That dipshit reese is responsible.

Well, her dead dad is. Things got worse when the asgard tried to study them and they ate their poo and killed them. Essentially, Replicators are very dangerous.

Wasn't there an episode where they kidnapped carter because they needed a "dumb" solution? I vaguely recall her trying asgard food and it was poo. like circles and triangles, and they tasted like batteries.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 08:39:02 PM »
These are not biological organisms, right?  Why do they need to eat anything?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 02:18:28 AM »
Sadly, this is literally the replicators driving function. Be fruitful and multiply. They could be so much more.

Like, remember the Harlan bots way back? SG-1 came home, Jack had a blood test, his arm popped open, and the SGC instantly turned against SG-1?

Like yeah, they're robots, dependent on Harlan's planet, but they were still 100% loyal. They even continued the mission in that one heartbreaking episode.

Replicators are one of the dumbest grey goo situations in scifi. Like, Atlantis also did replicators, but they gave them an excuse for being broken. Those ancient assholes made them always at 100% rage.

That's good motivation. "golly EVERYTHING I'M ALWAYS MAD LETS KILL EVERYONE ELSE"

Is honestly... better than the milky way replicators.

I am SORELY disappointed in Repli-carter.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 10:18:15 AM »
I got tired last night, watched some and then fell asleep so I'll have to go back over them to remember which episodes they were.  Lockdown:  Sick Russian who had wanted to join SG1 was occupied by Anubis, Anubis running around the base inhabiting people like bad barbeque smoke (another thing you don't want to inhale for health reasons) and then leaving.  Now you see him, now you don't.  He hit up DJ and Carter among others, then moved on.  Russian (whose immune system had been fatally compromised by Anubis's week-long occupation of his body) takes one for the team and takes off with Anubis (occupation #2) through the Stargate.  That wasn't supposed to happen.  The facility was on Lockdown while all these hijinks were going on. It's not clear why the other dead system lords aren't floating around, disembodied, causing trouble.  I guess SG figured that if Anubis had enough rope, he'd hang himself with the Ancients.  Oh well.

Zero Hour was kind of fragmented and did not do much to keep my attention.  SG1 off world, supposedly victims of kidnapping plot by Ba'al, subject of the SG's subsequent negotiations with a Goua'ld prisoner.  Prisoner leads them to some odd device that was supposed to help with Antarctic weapon of ancients but really a plot to blow up the Solar System.  Jack's negotiating skills and ability to ferret out intrigue and deception on full display.  Some plant messing with the stargate that's all over the facility and only removable by bombarding the whole area with Gamma radiation, but of course everyone who puts on a red suit can stay and not be concerned with it.  Nice job of ignoring physics, sci fi guys!  SG1 comes home, Samantha saves the day.  Mole assistant sent in to report back on Jack to President is suitably impressed although initially skeptical.  Snore.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 10:43:40 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 02:53:17 AM »
Avatar:  Teal'c is in a chair intended to interface neurologically with him and to offer realistic simulations of conflicts with Goua'ld soldiers (you know the terrifying ones that Anubis had developed with black armor and little white points of light for eyes?).  Teal'c thinks it's not realistic enough. There's a fail safe to allow him to cease the simulation, but he's in there refusing to give up, getting virtually killed time after time.  Finally, they send Daniel in there to help him out, as Teal'c is undergoing extreme and dangerous stresses.  After about 50 minutes of intense getting killed, they pull him out of there.  It reminded me of the Roger Zelazny novella, The Dream Master.  That's one creepy book.  This has echoes of that.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 03:08:11 AM »
I have things to say about those other episodes, but I loved how bless'ed stupid the CG Daniel looked. Like, Holy poo.

They're kull warriors, but notably less important now that swampgas is... swampgas.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 03:46:17 AM »
Affinity:  Teal'c lives off base and gets involved with a neighbor who is beaten by her boyfriend.  The boyfriend ends up dead.  T is framed.  DJ tries to help and the bad guys make him translate some Goua'ld text and use kidnapping to force this.  They send the information via computer somewhere and disappear through Goual'd rings. 

Carter says yes to a marriage proposal with nice cop.  He helps her undo the mystery.  Teal'c gets exonerated.

Next episode: Covenant: fakey hollywoody entrepreneur who went to overacting school threatens to tell the world about aliens and SG1 has to minimize exposure and damage.  Carter is friends with fakey guy, mr aerospace engineer.  Evil guys in league with Senator K. are involved and try to ruin his company.  Things get sorted as Carter takes him off world for a happy future of working on prototype planes at the Alpha Site. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 07:40:16 PM »
Lockdown: Kinda mood whiplash, Danny getting shot is funny, the fate of the Russian Colonel, who was by all accounts a true blue hero, not so much.
My little notepad document opines that Starbuck/Apollo should have stuck with the sibling bitchiness we get with O'Neill/Daniel, but they made it angsty lust cowpoo instead.

ZERO HOUR

I love how Walter flat out nabs Jack a new assistant out of annoyance. Walter was always fun. The rest of my notes on this episode, while extensive, made no goddamn sense on reread. I can't even tell if I liked the episode.

ICON
Similar shitty notes, I mentioned that the SG teams are actually loaded with the heavy weapons this time, and wondered why they don't do so more often. I also don't get the point, the magic lifesign eradicator doohickeys on their guns kill the Kull Warriors, and the P90 can do suppressing fire impressively. Maybe they didn't want to go down the path of laser weapons, the zats have somewhat depreciated as well. Shanks bless'ed HATED the zats. We get another cylon guest star, and actually a recurring guest star, but not the same character. It's kind of funny because Chief from BSG also played two different Jaffa who both die.

AVATAR - this episode was fantastic, and I very much enjoyed it. I'm just going to blame the stupid mistakes made on Bill Lee, since everyone else does. I really don't get why they keep him around, he screws up and shrugs, he should have been shitcanned after the fifth time! He's the one who made the tree faries murderous! In the short 3d renders, Daniel looks so bless'ed dumb, like they had to have done that intentionally.

I also like that the Digital SG-1 is competent, and both trust and believe Teal'c when he gives them the lowdown. It's a nice contrast to similar episodes on other shows. I think Digi-Carter also decided to go a little ham with it, since there will not be any ongoing repercussions, so golly it, DUAL WIELD SMGS!

AFFINITY
I didn't much care for this episode, Teal'c really does himself no favors as far as making himself not a suspect, he totally said he would kill that dude.
The neighbor is played by Erica Durance. I can never tell if I liked her Lois Lane on Smallville, or if I just hated Lana so much that she was a pleasant reprieve from her. It's a little sad Teal'c doesn't get to keep the apartment, but SG-1 spends very little time in town anyway.

COVENANT

I didn't really care for this, and it undermines an earlier episode. In that episode, on a trip to DC, Jack was confronted by a reporter who had all the facts.

Jack attempts to talk him down from blowing the whistle, and it's left ambiguous as which way the reporter is leaning. He at least respects Jack, and considers him a hero.

He is then abruptly killed, and while dying from being hit by a car, blames Jack.  I always took this as the shadier side of politics, that the cover of the stargate project is defended by killing anyone who threatens the secret.

And then this bless'ed mess. Sheesh, they roll out the red carpet for this guy. I figured taking him offworld was a way to permanently keep his mouth shut and was shocked Carter would go that far. Instead they have her selling him on it. This was one of the clunkers.

Sorry I didn't get back on this sooner, but I've been feeling pretty crap since the super bowl.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 12:07:28 AM »
I hope things lighten up for you guys, since the 49ers let you down and the car thieves showed no mercy.  They have to get better.  I'm moving what I wrote below to TV: WTF because it belongs there, not here.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 12:15:58 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 12:23:41 AM »
I've mostly got my reviews cached up to Season 9, episode 12, but no rush.

I don't know why I'm stuck, Ripple Effect, the next episode, is one of my favorites in the entire series.

I think it's the Ori. I just really bless'ed hate those guys. And not in a fun, "wow, punch those Nazi's" way, more like I just wish a writer never came up with them.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 02:47:54 AM »
Endgame.  Evil guys (earthlings) steal tech, including the Gate from the Cheyenne Mt. Complex, and start gassing the Goua'ld, including anybody else with a symbiote.  This is like using an atom bomb to get rid of roaches, overkill.  Of course some toad of a scientist has been in league with this sleazeball network to effectuate this.

Carter ends up on board with the baddies.  Prometheus is trying to get things sorted.  DJ ends up following Carter.  They manage to get the gate back with the help of Teal'c, who has disappointingly found his compatriots among the resistance killed by this gas.  He ends up helping Carter and DJ escape with the gate while evil Asian woman (what is this with people of color being bad guys in SciFi?) takes the ship into hyperdrive.  They're like white suprematists.  They get away while Carter, DJ, Teal'c and the gate get back to HQ.  Oh well.  Not one of the better episodes, but it sure beats the pants off seeing Lena Dunham naked.  I can sort of get why Oedipus blinded himself after several viewings of that.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 03:06:30 AM »
That was a major downer of an episode, those Jaffa represented essentially all the Jaffa that like earth.

The Trust are the shadowy follow up to the NID, that organization has been rolled up into homeworld command (I seriously wonder if in-universe Hammond was in charge of the Department of Homeland Security, no bless'ed way would they be dumb enough to name a department 'homeworld security' it would reveal that the US has Extraterrestrial territories)

I don't think bitchface's nationality is really relevant here, she was selected for service by being a sociopath in the first place, willing to do "whatever it takes" and not particularly caring for things like blowback. And holy poo is there blowback. For such a brutal episode, Danny gets one of the best jokes. He picks up a glowing... something, and asks Carter what it is. When she explains it is VX gas, he very quickly, very carefully puts it down.

The other fun moment is when the gate is gone, and Daniel mentions to Jack he's sure glad it isn't his responsibility to explain this. My Desktop Wallpaper is the gate room minus gate.

OK, googled it, her name is "Brooks". That information is functionally useless, but there you go. The guy with the Glock 20 is Hoskins, and combined, they have a higher death toll than the Nazi's.

She's never seen again, but BTS scuttlebutt is that she was captured by the system lords and is probably a host.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:11:47 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2020, 11:06:25 AM »
Nice to know that the casting director is committed to diversity in their choice of evil characters.  I'd just noticed that there seemed to be a disproportionate number of characters of Asian descent among the bad guys, whereas I don't remember many of them among the SG people.  Yeah, that luminous blue liquid was a nice prop, although I expect that most poison isn't that pretty.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2020, 02:31:35 AM »
Evil replicator Carter just caused havoc.  Can the Galaxy be saved?  Stay tuned.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2020, 07:40:31 PM »
I mean, logically, it shouldn't have. But Replicarter is Replitarded.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2020, 10:55:28 PM »
Yeah  why would she, meaning the replica of Carter, want to do anything contrary to original Carter's best interests? 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 02:17:17 PM »
Nah, I figured it out, she realizes Carter will kill her, and creates a self fulfilling prophecy.

Once again, all the replicators need to do is golly off out of inhabited space. They don't need to breathe, they don't need to eat, and if the urge to replicate is so great, they could use asteroids.

But nope, KILL ALL ORGANICS as bog standard sci-fi.

I know you don't really get the BTS stuff on Amazon, but on the DVD, they flat out admit they stole the stabby arm thing from Terminator 2.

Like, REPLICARTER HAS T2 IN HER BRAIN.

I dunno, maybe Carter really is a murderous madam and wearing the uniform keeps her in line? Like she really gets off on calling Jack "Sir"?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 12:39:34 AM »
Prometheus Unbound

Daniel Jackson, through the ineptitude of the SG under Gen'l Hammond, manages to be the only person left on the ship, Prometheus, which has been commandeered by a supermodel in a scary black Goua'ld suit.  The others ended up on a Goual'd ship in the process of answering a distress call.  Like nobody on this show has ever seen the movie, "Alien."  And we all know how well that panned out. 

At any rate, she's a hottie with an attitude who can kick Daniel's flabby ass with one hand tied behind her back.  But for some reason, even though she's some kind of space pirate attempting to trade whatever ship she can hijack for some weapons grade naquaah (or whatever... they should really go with one of those more unstable higher number elements on the Periodic table, like Einsteinium or Californium, which would be easier to spell); she repeatedly suggests having sex with Jackson. 

Like we all need some soft space porn because the writers can't be bothered to come up with something more compelling.  Jackson resists and they eventually get the ship back only to have her break out again and steal the Goua'ld ship they've managed to salvage. 

If these guys had any brains, they'd be dangerous.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:42:23 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2020, 07:43:21 PM »
Clearly you are not a Farscape fan.

Claudia Black played an ass kicker in that series, and they played with it in that episode.

Vala Mal Doran - This character is far more playful than her character in Farscape. There she was a facist soldier, here she's a former goauld host out just trying to make a living. She also tends to complicate EVERYONE SHE MEETS life up.  Naquadah is... insanely valuable. Room temperature superconductor, unparalleled Energy amplifier, it's the Double A battery of Goauld technology.

Hell, the entire game was kicked off when Earth essentially cold called a Goauld (Ra)'s Mining world (Abydos)

Weapons grade Naquadah, is in fact, the universal currency "out there".

Most of the stargate series earth weapons are enhanced with naquadah and potassium.

Many offworld earth bases are powered by naquadah reactors the size of a small boombox.

I bless'ed love that episode. It's unapologetically stupid, and an excuse to make both General Hammond and Daniel complete badasses.

Yes, Vala is sexually aggressive, but honestly, it's nice to have a woman doing that for once. Everyone jokes about Kirk...

Ironically enough, the people Hans Olo rips off in this episode take it personally. THEY'LL BE BACK.

I do wonder, from a purely economic base, if it was a good deal. First off, there is no bless'ed way Daniel is lifting those crates, prior episodes have established that four bricks of weapons grade Naquadah outweigh a honda civic.

Honestly, Prometheus Unbound might be one of my favorite episodes. It's dumb, it's fun, and it avoids tragedy. Huh, maybe that's why I hate the Ori War, it's just a series of losses.

While Prometheus Unbound may be a come from behind underdog victory, Earth retains their starship.

I also like that Hammond descends to pettiness in this episode, he steals the chair from his former office - And Walter!

The Hiccup woman was HORRIBLY out of place, I expected something terrifying to happen because of her, like an ALIEN or PREDATOR type situation, but nope, just for laffs… How the golly did that get past the editing review? On the BTS features many writers opine leaving their favorite writing parts on the cutting room floor... but she made the cut.

Only episode without Teal'c!

This just showed up in my youtubes:
When this show hit, it hit.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:35:53 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2020, 10:15:04 PM »
It was kind of flat.  Like pretty lady + pretty man should hook up.  Lame-o formula.  At least DJ resists.  I didn't know the actress.  Maybe she had a poo director, but she certainly wasn't deployed in any way that conveyed her skill as a thespian. 

Had a little caution been exercised, the problems that pervaded the entire episode could have been avoided.  But that's a trope that runs through the series.  If it were not fun, I wouldn't continue watching it.  Good lord.  Compared to "Girls," this is Emmy winning writing and acting.  After just one too many Lena Dunham episodes and I ran back to this like a traveler dying of thirst in the desert after a bottle of water.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 12:15:55 AM »
That's just it, Danny refuses to be damseled, and in fact, hates her. It caries over.

Most shows do eventually slum it by handing characters the idiot ball because they have to fail in some way.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2020, 08:00:56 AM »
It's Good to be King
That was entertaining.  More faux archaeology with the "ancients" leaving stelae with inscriptions that apparently foretold the future.  They'd buried some kind of ship with a time travel device.  For a reason that escapes me, Jack was the only guy who could fly it.  So they used it, not to reset time, but to go kick the ass of the Goua'ld mothership with what, Ares?  I can't remember which system lord.  That worked.  Nice.
The more entertaining part of the episode was King Harry Maybourne, who had been deposited on the planet by the Tok'ra and who mysteriously could make out the ancient inscriptions, so the people on the planet found him a seer and crowned him.  He confesses at the end to being a charlatan, but they like him.  Appreciated his engineering skills, etc.  So he gets to stay on the throne. A rare instance of honesty coming from this guy, who is usually there for some kind of comic relief.

Carter is her usual brilliant self, able to diagnose alien tech and to do a quick repair.  Sometimes the extent of her capabilities beggars belief.  But it was amusing to see the group back together again. 

One last thing.  And I don't think it's restricted to SG1, but a tendency in all SciFi shows.  You go to a distant planet and it's like stopping into a Renaissance Faire.  They're all wearing medieval clothing and living the life of happy villagers.  What's up with that?  I know the original Star Trek had more variety, but this show likes people from the 13th century hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.  A lot. 

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2020, 12:50:21 AM »
Full Alert, the NID has been taken over by Goual'd and they get Sen. Kinsey implanted with a symbiote so that Ronny Cox can taste the joys of talking through one of those wacky voice synthesizer things.  The idea is to get the major powers to launch a world war and take each other out so the Goual'd can get their hands on the ancient weapons.  Finally, they end up in space with Prometheus vs bad guys, the latter of whom get blown up.  I suspect that this is the last appearance of Cox on the show, since he went out in a blaze of glory.  He should have stayed on the Prometheus.

Highlights:  Daniel Jackson gets to work on his rusty Russian with a high ranking woman officer.  Jack O'Neill gets to engage in some nice product placement with a couple cases of Heineken, and Carter gets to keep on being Carter, her delightful nerdy self.  The world is saved.  Hoorah.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:52:12 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2020, 04:49:52 PM »
Jack is the closest thing to an Ancient Earth has, aside from that lady... who died. He's got genetic markers that act sort of like a biometric key? He's got the login to all the ancient's sh- stuff.

Maybourne and Jack may be two of the most resourceful humans on Earth... and Harry can't really go back, what with the "execution for treason" thing still over his head.

Honestly, desert island, You'd want Jack, Harry or Teal'c. Ancient civilization? Daniel or Teal'c. Alien Spaceship? Carter. Maybe Jonas, because of how fast he learns, but initially he'd be the bumpkin on the spaceship. Grateful Dead Cemetery was a bit of a shock, what with Harry being a Military man, but since infiltration is one of his primary skills, he may have spent some time as a hippie. More than SG-1 anyway.

It's actually not particularly shocking that Carter recognizes and can operate ancient technology, considering she developed the SGC dialing computer from scratch. The original 1994 Stargate Project? Kind of dipshits. They were using a TEXTBOOK to translate the cover stone, and Daniel IMMEDIATELY called it poo and threw it over his shoulder.

Essentially, The stumbling stones for Carter are regional issues rather than technological.

The medieval thing is intentional. People start building tech, the Goauld kill the poo out of the entire population.

I believe a time or two they've had complete tech bases under the surface, and keep the Ren-faire poo up top to avoid glassing.

Hell, even LOYAL goauld worlds get shot up for the hell of it. In the original movie, RA was coming to pick up some overdue video tapes Naquadah from the mines, and his idea of a "hello" was sending his udajeet fighters on strafing runs. (udajeet are death gliders without a canopy, like a convertible mixed with a fighter jet. Very Dumb, Very ostentatious, Very Goauld.

FULL ALERT:

The Kinsey problem comes to a head.
Speaking Russian has previously gotten Daniel into a considerable amount of trouble. On their unscheduled trip to 1969, an Airman asks him in Ruskie if he is a soviet spy.

His response? "Nyet."

My favorite part there is that Captain Kirk was captured by the US Military - in 1969!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2020, 11:43:34 PM »
That was funny.  I'd forgotten it.  Richard Dean Anderson has such a dry wit.

I just watched Citizen Joe.  It was the most imaginative "greatest hits" compilation that I've ever seen.  Sweet barber in small town picks up odd stone at garage sale and has series of visions of the many exploits of SG1 to the extent that he becomes obsessed.  His wife and friends finally can't take it any more and he's about to lose everything when he pops in on Jack with a fake gun.  Once SG1 figures out what's been happening, the wife is brought in and the situation explained.  Problem solved?  How do they keep the SG1 program under wraps while letting all these people know that he's not been making it up?  Loose threads, but it was pretty fun.

p.s.  I was just thinking, "they haven't done anything with evil Replicator Carter for a while," then I see she's in the next episode.  Reckoning, parts 1&2  I'll finish it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:51:54 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2020, 12:17:24 AM »
Jack O'Neill has a deep and abiding love of both "The Simpsons" and "Homer Simpson".

When the team got brain wiped, he opined to carter that he remembered a bald man in short sleeves, and that he was very important to him. While in reality, that was General Hammond, brain wiped O'neill thought his name was Homer.

Joe is Homer Simpson. Dan Castellaneta.

I liked the mindfuck that Jack knew this was going down, but used it as a stress purge. He found being a small town barber "relaxing".

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2020, 02:28:24 AM »
Reckoning.  Replicators threaten to destroy the universe.  There's some kind of Ancient tech in a mountain somewhere that the Jaffa know about.  Carter & her Dad find it and work to revive the equip to fix on the disruption of replicators.  They need to get the dry look model Goua'ld, Baal or one of them, to help dial up all the stargates simultaneously so they can do away with replicators once & for all.  They achieve this, but evil Carter kills Daniel again after engaging in goofy mind probes.

Next episode:  threads.  DJ hangs out in some bad hollywood set American cafe with Hope from 30something.  and this folksy character actor who needs to shed a few pounds.  he turns out to be partially ascended anubis.  Hope kicks his ass so the rest of the Jaffa can triumph.  In the meantime, Carter's boyfriend -- an actor with whom she has zero chemistry--buys her a cute little house.  Buying real estate before a wedding when you are not 100% sure the wedding will take place is only a good idea if you plan to a) live there yourself, regardless, or b) are a real estate trader who intends to flip the place in a hot housing market.  So Carter is having second thoughts and tries to talk to O'Neill about it but his new CIA girlfriend shows up.  That's awkward.  By the end of the show, Carter has broken up with boyfriend and is fishing with O'Neill.  CIA girlfriend is a real peach and immediately gets the lay of the land and suggests that O'Neill retire so he and Carter can be together.  And Carter's father's symbiote dies so he does too.  Sad but satisfying.  p.s.  Daniel shows up, undead again and naked as a jaybird.  But alive.  He and Teal'c go to O'Neill's with a large cooler, presumably of beer, so they can all enjoy fishing in a lake without fish.

This looked like the end of the series, but no.  There's still more episodes. 
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 02:30:31 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2020, 06:16:20 PM »
Pete was 100% about the wedding, it was the series that bent with him. I don't really get why they killed General Carter/Selmak, and that episode was a hell of a downer on all fronts.

Once again, Ba'al profits off the works of the SGC, he's really good at that.

I actually liked fat golly Anubis. The Diner was picked out of Danny's brain from a time of conflict, that's why everyone is rocking 70's clothing. I was never a fan of tablecloth oil spill Anubis, so having him just be some fat guy in a diner was interesting. The actor was also good at portraying menace at the end there.

I suppose the replicators deserve to die, they don't really serve a purpose, not even an evil one.

I don't get why Repli-Carter didn't just zoom off into space until original Carter dies of old age. If she's so afraid of SG-1, she just needs to... outlive them. She's a machine.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2020, 07:28:43 PM »
You raise some good questions.  And it's not clear why plump good old boy replaces oil slick anubis, but there you have it.  He is sort of unctuous, really.  Oily and not trustworthy, and this sense is enhanced the longer one's exposure to him is.  Certainly better than a guy whose face is like a TV channel you can't quite dial in on.

Yeah.  Why they killed Samantha's dad didn't make much sense unless the actor had better things to do, but that's hard to imagine.  Replicators are not so much alive as animated, no?  They get reduced to puddles of material and that's a good thing.  Yeah.  Replica Carter seemed sort of ill equiped in the strategy dept.  She just reverted to whatever bad guys do on these shows, mostly strategies focused on intimidation, cruelty, threats and bullying.  She lies to Daniel, tells him she won't kill him and then she does just that.   What a twit.  She deserved to melt.  Dry look Ba'al really is like some guy who tried to pick you up in a bar in the 1980s.  Kind of handsome in a way that says, "don't trust me, not even to sell you a car."

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2020, 03:35:28 AM »
If I recall the correct episode/story arc, the actor (David DeLuise) who had no chemistry with Carter happens to be the brother of the director (Peter DeLuise) so...you know Hollywood, or in this case, Vancouver.
--dweez

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2020, 10:17:46 AM »
Aha.  Nepotism.  That explains a lot.  I started to watch the next episode but fell asleep so I'll have to pick it up later.  One thing that struck me though, is how well Daniel Jackson recovers from death.  Like he had a bad cold or something, and bounces back, looking buffed and better than ever.  And he's been dead, how many times now, twice?  Three times?  I was trying to remember his sarcophagus exploits.  Did they kill him between sessions or just wound him severely?  My memory isn't what it once was.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2020, 12:19:50 AM »
Moebius part 1
Pretty entertaining.  They go back in time to try to get a device to help with current alien tech only to find selves unable to use the ship to come back, so they place the device where it will be excavated in the future.  Fast forward to nerdy Daniel Jackson, archaeologist, teaching English as a second language while Carter is relegated to checking for errors in the work of other scientists.  A video tape of the SG1 team is uncovered and so DJ and Carter are called to Cheyenne Mt complex, but they aren't taken seriously even after they manage to locate the stargate.  They try to enlist Jack O'Neill, who prefers to hang out on his fishing boat and affect a Minnesotan accent.  He's having none of the archaeology/alien tech thing.  Doesn't care.  Just wants to hang out on the Homer and fish.

The makeup dept did a great job of nerding up DJ and Carter.  They're very funny looking.
Where's Teal'c?  Will the team ever get back to their own time?  Will they reunite?  Stay tuned.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2020, 07:52:47 PM »
The ESL thing is pretty funny, because Langford conned Danny into joining the project with "You've been evicted from your apartment, everything you own is in those two bags, what else will you do?"

I like to imagine Nerd Danny told her to go golly herself and got out of the car. I mean that's not what happened, but it's what I'll imagine.

Those two episodes may be my favorite episodes. We get the older episode running through woods stuff that I think the main show kind of ran into the ground with all the alpha sites being blown up.

Like, the episodes with Felger were the last ones with fun field work.

I guess I gotta go blaze through the rest of 9 now, you're catching up!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2020, 11:55:24 PM »
Alright.  "Go back to Giza in 3000 BC."  Daniel Jackson is one sloppy archaeologist.  News flash.  No pyramids yet!  From Wikipedia:  "Based on a mark in an interior chamber naming the work gang and a reference to the Fourth Dynasty Egyptian pharaoh Khufu, some Egyptologists believe that the pyramid was thus built as a tomb over a 10- to 20-year period concluding around 2560 BC."  And while I really appreciate the pretty designs they decided to cover the exterior with, it was originally clad in a polished smooth layer of limestone that was to have reflected the sun.

But what's a few centuries among friends, eh?  Sorry.  I would expect a little more effort on the part of the writers to at least get the century right.  They fell short of the millenium by about 400 years.  Lordy.  I gotta say, though, that sand covered invisible ship was a real hoot.

And, again, in the end, they're fishing and the others show up with a cooler of beer.  Pretty funny.  So this is the end of season 8, and the next episode is season 9 with a special guest appearance by Richard Dean Anderson, so I guess he left the show with this episode.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:36:26 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2020, 12:08:04 AM »
In stargate the interior markings were fraud. Citation: Daniel Jackson.