General Category > General Discussion

Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?

(1/83) > >>

smokester:
I'm beginning to think I am in a dream state that I can't wake up from. Here in London I am now finding it hard to get basic things like pasta and loo roll. It's not at the point of crisis yet, but there are some I know who are struggling to get these basic things locally as they aren't surrounded my all the big supermarkets like we are here in south west London.

It is a big concern I know and to be honest I bought a contigency-plan store of food about 5 weeks ago and then got on with life knowing I could isolate my family for a month if I had to as long as I had running water. Things then just proceeded as normal while incorporating basic advice like using hand cleaner as a rule when entering our apartment.

Things have changed now. It's like people are breaking the "break-glass" boxes as if the zombies have attacked.

I didn't think the world, with all its freak weather etc., could have become even more surreal than it was. But it has.

How is everyone else here holding up?

8ullfrog:
My mom has caught the madness, she's bought a bunch of stupid poo and substitutes for foods that just don't work.

For example, she bought these weird vacuum packed ham slices, and I found a recipe. You stick it in the middle of a grands biscuit, and top it with white gravy.

So she bought crescent rolls and chicken gravy. That... doesn't work.

She was saying that she would make me take a rideshare to the doctor instead of the bus, until I told her ridesharing was how it is spreading in NY state.

The entire situation was taken too casually initially, and now it's led to all this crazy poo. I'd read Corona sales have dropped because of it, so when I was picking up whiskey I checked.

I imagine it's the price that's driven down Corona sales. A six pack is $11, a 12 pack is $18. You can get a 12 pack of Heineken for $11.

People are certainly losing their poo, I drove off the jehovas by repeating the advice I heard on the news, maintain a six foot distance from people.

The panic certainly is greater than in the past, the closest I'd say it is reminds me of the anthrax scare and the run on Tamiflu.

There's a great playlist on youtube where the host breaks down assorted movie and comic book viruses, and he started with all the zombie movies.

It is interesting to see how fragile the systems we take for granted break down. Well, Terrifying really.

One I found strange, the percentage on rubbing alcohol seems to have been marked down. I usually buy 90% for electronics cleaning, and I've heard 60-80% is ideal for wound cleaning, but all the stuff I've seen lately is 50%. I wonder why that is.

Of course, our Business Man in chief said this will all blow over by April. I still wonder what the golly made him think that, let alone say it out loud.

I'm trying to remember some of the crazy foods from the simpsons, for instance, in homer's WWIII shelter, he had canned chicken wings.

I'd eat Cheezus H. Rice. Chunky Farms Tail & Tendon Soup, not so much.

6pairsofshoes:
I'm not worried about food or basic necessities, but given it's in my area, I suspect it's merely a matter of time before people we know begin to get sick.  I've heard that it's not as bad as everyone says, and I've heard that it's much worse than everyone thinks.  So, I'll just keep on as before hoping that it doesn't get bad and adjusting to whatever conditions occur. 

I do wash my hands a great deal more than I did in the past.  That's supposed to help -- that, and avoiding touching one's face.  I don't take public transportation to work, in part, because it seems a good vector for disease, at least more so than my car.  I have the impression that alcohol based hand sanitizer doesn't really have any effect on the virus, so I haven't bothered.

8ullfrog:
Johnny Carsonesque toilet paper shortages have been reported across Australia.

It's panic buying. They heard that the first thing to run out in Wuhan was toilet paper, and decided to join the club.
I hear Tescos is rationing. Rice and Bean madness have hit the US.

My Jack in the box decided that the drop in foot traffic was as good of an excuse for a remodel as any, and will be closed for four months. (A car recently drove into it)

6pairsofshoes:
The local Safeway is busy as normal on weekends but I haven't seen anyone hoarding toilet paper.  I guess it would be inconvenient to run out, but it's not clear why a respiratory infection should send people running out for that product.  Maybe I'm a bit slow on the uptake here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version